How to Use Our Comments, and Not Get Banned

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
oh man! .... i'm gona miss all the jokes and witty comments i used to read, i so hope they won't be classified under "insults" that would just make me sad :( .... plz take in mind that most comments would be referring to the article and not the writer. BIG DIFFERENCE :)

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
Look what about comedic comments. Sometimes I find the comment "can it play crysis" funny. What about people trolling idiotic commentators that is justified. Something you(the admin) dont find funny than others may find it funny.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
DON'T: "This article is trash.[end of message]"
DO: "This article is terrible. Here's how to make it better..."

So you do not like criticism? If article has some misspelling or the information is not correctly relayed, or it does not stress the issue as the heading will say, then you should except criticism right way.

And do not expect your reader to be high level professionals. there are users who are gamers and make some comments like Crysis.

You made your voting enabled, if you do not like it just vote thumb down and it will hide it. participate yourself in this. do not ban them for that.

I only understand not using insulting words. Other than that, just leave people alone, let them speak what they want to express.

We do not want boring comments.

like. it is good. it is great. hey, people spend more time reading comments then your article. if you want to change that, just disable comments.

I would expect from you that, instead of putting harsh rules, make this comments heard by manufacturers and designers and companies, Our comments should be heard to make the next generation products more user friendly and attractive.

Thanks

Please,

Silicon Jesus

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Well, I'm not too happy with this. Honestly, I enjoyed reading the stupid things people write and once in awhile making an off-color comment myself. I'm not for meanness or racism, but I love to laugh *ssholes, racists, and other stupid people. I also love places on the internet where I can speak my thoughts without fear. I'll certainly get less enjoyment from the site. Hopefully this will give a similar site some competitive advantage so I can be entertained there. I love you Tom's, but I'm starting to feel like we're growing apart :)

VWXYZ

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
Hurray for Tom's!

I think more websites need to step up like this, I think it was Engadget doing it too!

Maybe we can get a better internet? A internet where bad behavior gets punished, just like insulting someone in real life would!

Glad to see the ban hammer being wilded on those deserving!

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
I didn't say Crysis comments would get the user banned. I just gave suggestions of what not contribute to as they may be deleted OR banned.

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
So was the reporting system being ignored? I also thought the ranking system was a way for the community to rank poor comments into oblivion (not that it always worked, but for the most part it did imo).

cscott_it

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
[citation][nom]akhodjaev[/nom]So you do not like criticism? If article has some misspelling or the information is not correctly relayed, or it does not stress the issue as the heading will say, then you should except criticism right way.And do not expect your reader to be high level professionals. there are users who are gamers and make some comments like Crysis. You made your voting enabled, if you do not like it just vote thumb down and it will hide it. participate yourself in this. do not ban them for that.I only understand not using insulting words. Other than that, just leave people alone, let them speak what they want to express.We do not want boring comments.like. it is good. it is great. hey, people spend more time reading comments then your article. if you want to change that, just disable comments.I would expect from you that, instead of putting harsh rules, make this comments heard by manufacturers and designers and companies, Our comments should be heard to make the next generation products more user friendly and attractive.ThanksPlease,[/citation]

How is this harsh?

They are just asking you to defend your position rather than just drop a tiny sentence fragment bashing the article or author.

If you can't defend your argument, you have no point in making it.

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Here here, there's those moments when a "But can it play Crysis" just hits the right spot. It shall be sorely missed.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I am in agreeance with this new policy. There has been some behavior here in the past 2 years that's just plain ignorant and annoying and doesn't reflect the nature of this site at all. It wasn't like this 7 years ago when I started reading tomshardware. The comments here on the news are about as bad as the comments you commonly see on youtube and that's a disgrace.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]akhodjaev[/nom]So you do not like criticism? If article has some misspelling or the information is not correctly relayed, or it does not stress the issue as the heading will say, then you should except criticism right way.And do not expect your reader to be high level professionals. there are users who are gamers and make some comments like Crysis. You made your voting enabled, if you do not like it just vote thumb down and it will hide it. participate yourself in this. do not ban them for that.I only understand not using insulting words. Other than that, just leave people alone, let them speak what they want to express.We do not want boring comments.like. it is good. it is great. hey, people spend more time reading comments then your article. if you want to change that, just disable comments.I would expect from you that, instead of putting harsh rules, make this comments heard by manufacturers and designers and companies, Our comments should be heard to make the next generation products more user friendly and attractive.ThanksPlease,[/citation]

You didn't read carefully what you quoted on me even.

And about showing off comments to companies as some form of authority, maybe in the future, but in its current state, no.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]brendano257[/nom]@Jane - Nice....I'm assuming you get ban-hammer immunity? =P[/citation]

I don't like to ban (and haven't yet!) but I can. I'm just waiting for the right person to come along. First time has to be special and all that.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]SUGGESTION: Thumbs up and Thumbs down for the actual article. That would be pretty cool.[/citation]

thats genius !!! i think it would set a guide to the writers of ther audiences likes and dislikes ... that would help so much ... also all the disappointed or angry readers can channel their anger in a simple thumbs down to the article.

RyanFlemington

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
I agree with this stance. Most commenters are like children, and as such, are subject to disciplinary action when they're bad (read: stupid). If the community as a whole decides to be mature, maybe you guys can raise the bed-time

tamick88

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]I didn't say Crysis comments would get the user banned. I just gave suggestions of what not contribute to as they may be deleted OR banned.[/citation]

Forgive me for saying so but an *you may be banned for* to me is as bad or worse as *you will be banned for* because it also implies some inconsistancy on the enforcement of said rule by the moderators themselves.

h83r

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
You guys are awesome. Thanks for finally doing this, I'm so tired of reading peoples complaints saying "this isn't tech news [end]", or "write about for interesting stuff. [end]" Either make your point or shutup.

Either way, Thanks again.

TH

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004
For the most part I like this. But the banning for "general idiocy"? These are some of the funniest things to read. Besides, I have my 'idiocy' momments too.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Silicon Jesus[/nom]I love you Tom's, but I'm starting to feel like we're growing apart :)[/citation]

We love you too! And it's not growing apart it's growing up. :)

pink315

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
DON'T: "First!" or "But can it play Crysis?"
DO: "I want to play these types of games and was wondering if anyone knows how well these games run on X CPU/GPU?"

Thank you :)

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Thank you Tuan. I have noticed it too more and more in the last few months. A little housekeeping was in order.

Hopefully this will serve as a wakeup-call to the few bad apples and help them see the err of their ways. And if not, "happy trails to you, until..."

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]and yet you still keep these thumbs down and up buttons.[/citation]

Well the intent with the thumbs was to have the community clean itself, but obviously that didn't work because even stupid comments got voted up to +20 sometimes by other equally stupid commenters.

Status
Not open for further replies.