How to Use Our Comments, and Not Get Banned

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Ahem. For what it is worth, I would like to see people be discouraged from using the word "retarded" as a slur in these fora. If you would like, please check out www.thearc.org and www.pacer.org for suggestions on how to be a little more sensitive. Seriously, if we condone people making fun of our most vulnerable citizens by using perjorative descriptors, we may as well also condone the use of words like *igger and *ike. /rant

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
This article is terrible. Here's how to make it better.

Don't refer to your readers as stupid or douche bags. Don't presume to be smarter or more well informed than your readers. If you don't want reader comments, then get rid of the forums.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]smlong426[/nom]This article is terrible. Here's how to make it better.Don't refer to your readers as stupid or douche bags. Don't presume to be smarter or more well informed than your readers. If you don't want reader comments, then get rid of the forums.[/citation]I think no one is in any position to making demands. Seriously. Suggestions? Maybe?

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]smlong426[/nom]This article is terrible. Here's how to make it better.Don't refer to your readers as stupid or douche bags. Don't presume to be smarter or more well informed than your readers. If you don't want reader comments, then get rid of the forums.[/citation]

I'm not talking about you. You already know who i'm referring to. Like it or leave it, the rules are simple. I don't want the type of commenters who act like what I described in the article as out of reason to be here anyway. They contribute to the filth.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]I think no one is in any position to making demands. Seriously. Suggestions? Maybe?[/citation]
Those were suggestions. You're taking what I typed out of context. By prefacing it with "Here how to make it better," I am indicating that they are suggestions.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]whaa?? but my comment on the freakish nature of the guy with six fingers with the samsung mobile device..., was on topic?[/citation]

Didn't I say starting today, in my article? :p

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]smlong426[/nom]Those were suggestions. You're taking what I typed out of context. By prefacing it with "Here how to make it better," I am indicating that they are suggestions.[/citation]I know, but some won't take it that way. Here's a suggestion: Be a little more clarified.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]I know, but some won't take it that way. Here's a suggestion: Be a little more clarified.[/citation]
Well, if you understand, then it apparently was clear.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]GutPunch[/nom]Couple of comments:1) Good luck with that. Honestly it seems like a huge undertaking given the massive number of people who visit your site (and you know that number better than us). Seems like you are taking a leak into the wind imo - expecially because people can just create another account.2) In order to make your PR/CM people more visable, would it be possible to have your moderators with a [TOM] in front of their username or change their user name text color to be a different color?3) Comments like "First" or "Will this play Crysis?" just strike me as a standard forum response. Are you guys planning on eliminating all troll - meaning if you don't add some substance to your post then its considered trolling? Will you also restrict people from using common internet abreviations (like: LOL, IMO, WTF, etc)?I enjoy your guy's webpage when I need to get some research done for a new computer. I also enjoy having you guys in an RSS feed in Outlook so I can see tech news on a daily basis. But this just seems crazy![/citation]
Not if they ban your IP address you cant.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Alright, so I get that you guys want to clean the site up a bit. That's fine with me.

However, I was kind of wondering if we could turn this into a source of new articles as well. Meaning, maybe once a week you guys compile a list of ten comments that got people banned (without naming names). That way, the readers on here have a better understanding of what not to do. I think it would also make a good read to see what people are getting banned for...

Just my thoughts.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]I totally agree with this Tuan. Hoping those fanboys will tone it down a bit. I'm tired of reading Intel Vs AMD and ATI vs nVidia threads.[/citation]
Heh, I remember about 3 or 4 years ago that dominated the comments on this site, I think its more OS fanboi fights and platform fanboi fights now. I'm so sick of those.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]Alright, so I get that you guys want to clean the site up a bit. That's fine with me.However, I was kind of wondering if we could turn this into a source of new articles as well. Meaning, maybe once a week you guys compile a list of ten comments that got people banned (without naming names). That way, the readers on here have a better understanding of what not to do. I think it would also make a good read to see what people are getting banned for...Just my thoughts.[/citation]

as fun as that would be ... this isnt good cos it would promote banning and u don't want them to benefit from this ... it could backfire. then again if that list is like 5 ppl a month, and an article every 5 bans.... i dont know!! ...

I hope this also takes into consideration the adds that are posted on this site. I am really tired of Tech sites that become popular and then stuff adds in every place they can. This site is no different, I have read it for many years and have seen the add count increase. Maybe we can get some moderation on that so this site doesn't end up like Firingsquad, bloated and useless. I don't agree with some of the stories that are now posted on here after Tom has left.

tamick88

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
quote:
Update: And no, I did not say that "Can it play Crysis" comments are going to result in a ban. I said that offensive comments is grounds for comment deletion and even banning. I noticed too 2 or 3 commenters are already taking this way out of proportion.

That is correct you said that they *may* be banned. I do not think that asking "can it play crysis" should even result in *maybe* being banned. As i have stated in previous comments it is not an offensive remark to make and is somewhat relevant still. Also as far as I'm aware it does not break any rules. If it is found boring i think it should either be ignored or voted down and nothing else.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
About the "can it play crysis" comments or "first" comments. I think those should be ok, its just a comment there is no insult it. If you think it is an overplayed record don't read it, skip to the next comment. To be honest it still makes me chuckle a lil bit. What makes me chuckle even more is the people that go off of on the people that made the comment. It is just text in a box folks...

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]Not if they ban your IP address you cant.[/citation]

I remember back when I worked at an ISP I was playing a game and I got muted from the in-game chat under nine different IPs (from four separate IP blocks). I was in the right though on that one...seriously the admin was over the top.

Anyway I just wanted to point out that it doesn't work for everyone. Even your average dhcp folk without IP armies at their disposal can just plug in a different router or change the mac on their wanif for those routers that allow it. You have to ban entire metropolitan areas to stop those guys.

I hope this also takes into consideration the adds that are posted on this site. I am really tired of Tech sites that become popular and then stuff adds in every place they can. This site is no different, I have read it for many years and have seen the add count increase. Maybe we can get some moderation on that so this site doesn't end up like Firingsquad, bloated and useless, with tons of flash spam adds. I don't agree with some of the stories that are now posted on here after Tom has left either.

jesseralston

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I don't like to ban (and haven't yet!) but I can. I'm just waiting for the right person to come along. First time has to be special and all that.[/citation]/

You can (ban)hammer me all night baby! But on a more serious note.

[citation][nom]Elsapo[/nom]That was underhanded and personal, a well veiled attack. Am I bad because I love it?As for the mild censorship, it was time. Even free speech has limits or consequences, your pick.[/citation]

I think you only perceived that attack. I read the other post and it seemed a bit out of place myself. What I think the writers/editors are trying to say is that there are other places on the web that you can go if you need to fulfill the want Silicon Jesus had mentioned before, namely /b/

[citation][nom]Silicon Jesus[/nom]Well, I'm not too happy with this. Honestly, I enjoyed reading the stupid things people write and once in awhile making an off-color comment myself. I'm not for meanness or racism, but I love to laugh *ssholes, racists, and other stupid people. I also love places on the internet where I can speak my thoughts without fear. I'll certainly get less enjoyment from the site. Hopefully this will give a similar site some competitive advantage so I can be entertained there. I love you Tom's, but I'm starting to feel like we're growing apart :)[/citation]

This site is not here for your "enjoyment" as you put it. It is here to give people tech/computer related news. If you really want to laugh at bigoted, hating people I am sure there are plenty of other places that would welcome you with open arms. Funnyjunk? 4chan?

[citation][nom]xccess[/nom] Personal attack will always happen on all the forums, you will need to learn to ignore it and move on rather then waste your time patrol the forums.[/citation]

So because something happens regardless means that we have to accept it? Hmm, by that logic we should all be out performing acts of violence upon each other and "learn to ignore it and move on rather than wasting time trying to fix the PROBLEM." The view you take is decidedly narrow-minded. I for one won't miss you if/when you do move on.

[citation]
I am Vietnamese too, and my English is not perfect and people from other forums always had something to say about my English when they try to attacked me. But in the end most of those type attacker is just a loser on the other end, therefore you may not want to bring yourself down to their level. A lot of them don't have life while I made six figure income and some of them think because my English was not good I am not capable like them or smart like them, but the truth is, this is Internet and there are so many effingtard out there try to so the ego and you just waste you time. Just write and research on the new stuff out there, and like I say before, if I don't like what you write I will move on, and I am sure a lot will do the same too. just do what you get pay to do rather then upset over some tard on the internet[/citation]

Once again, because there are people that are not willing to obey the rules that they lay down doesn't mean that they should just "give up." The writers and editors and forum admins are trying to keep the discussion enlightened! I applaud the new measures they are willing to take, even if it means in the end that they will lose "members" who contribute nothing to the discussion, slander, and troll. GO TOMSHARDWARE CREW!

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]ahnilated[/nom]I hope this also takes into consideration the adds that are posted on this site. I am really tired of Tech sites that become popular and then stuff adds in every place they can. This site is no different, I have read it for many years and have seen the add count increase. Maybe we can get some moderation on that so this site doesn't end up like Firingsquad, bloated and useless. I don't agree with some of the stories that are now posted on here after Tom has left.[/citation]
Solution: Use Firefox with the Adblock Plus extension and a few good filter subscriptions. Rendering is a little slower, but I see basically zero ads on Tom's (or any other site for that matter).

Status
Not open for further replies.