How to Use Our Comments, and Not Get Banned

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]gmcd2202[/nom]Meeee >>>> /dev/nullI like eeet.. the editor removed my stuff again..please let freedom of speech prevail..Ohh yes.. I forgot.. they cannot ban anonymous.Hey guys upgrade your web site.[/citation]

I like freedom of speech too, just not freedom of troll speech.

Look, every thing has rules. No rules = chaos. This isn't the place for trash talk. That's what I'm saying.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
pfff, that was the whole thing about Toms, free speech, now i`m gona delete this from my fav bar. And the excuse why all this came to be is just plain ..well u know.
AND the whole DO and DON`T DO List is childish....
Thats how moms use to say to their 10year old

FREE SPEECH Revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!believe me this will change toms in a somewhat bad way...

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
My $0.02. The way Tom's used to show the comments section in the past was better (with the avatars etc..) If I remember right that old format did have an edit feature as well. It would be nice to bring that functionality back, and do it site-wide. I see the same problem on comments for articles.

I've followed this site for 7 years. Back then this was not a problem.

jesseralston

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]pfff, that was the whole thing about Toms, free speech, now i`m gona delete this from my fav bar. And the excuse why all this came to be is just plain ..well u know.AND the whole DO and DON`T DO List is childish....Thats how moms use to say to their 10year oldFREE SPEECH Revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!believe me this will change toms in a somewhat bad way...[/citation]

Please leave faster. Toms Hardware was never about "free speech" it was about tech news. The reason this all started was because there was one straw that broke the camel's back, not even kidding. The do/don't list is a typical thing that you find on just about ANY forum these days, and it seems milder than a lot I've seen. Free speech revolution? You can say whatever you want to on YOUR OWN SITE, but last I checked you weren't a sleeping owner in Toms hardware...so yeah...VIVA LA REVOLUCION!!!

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Oops, someone got offended. I'm no troll, I just believe censorship is stupid and it shows weakness. There's a million other sites I can go to tho for my hardware fix.

Anandtech's articles are still tech related (and very well written), and their site doesn't look like it was designed by ad-monkeys. Tech Power Up primarily focuses on hardware reviews.

I guess I could still visit Tom's to witness the downfall of the site. After all, most of the smarter forum-goers left years ago, unless some glorious intervention happens I guess it's only a matter of time.

The Internet Is Serious Business

pizda

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
>Well the intent with the thumbs was to have the community clean itself, >but obviously that didn't work because even stupid comments got voted up >to +20 sometimes by other equally stupid commenters.

And that is not an insult?
You do realize that you just made yourself look really stupid and broke your own rules!

The problem with your rules is that they're very subjective and an excuse for you to abuse the power that you have.
If you want to set the rules, make them well-defined.

gxsolace

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]pfff, that was the whole thing about Toms, free speech, now i`m gona delete this from my fav bar. And the excuse why all this came to be is just plain ..well u know.AND the whole DO and DON`T DO List is childish....Thats how moms use to say to their 10year oldFREE SPEECH Revolution!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!believe me this will change toms in a somewhat bad way...[/citation]

Bye!

This is one of the best things that has occurred on this site, not sure why all the complainers are agitated. We come here to learn, teach and respect others, not cause confusion and disorder. +1 mil to whoever put their foot down once and for all.

alextheblue

Distinguished
"Stay civil. Don't be a douchebag." Does that include authors of said articles? You know, the ones that get called on writing an article based on blatantly false info, and then procede to rant and rave as madly as their critics?

Really, this whole post comes off as rather authoritarian.

peacock

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
The guys complaining about free speech, TH doesn't even have to enable comments. Get some perspective. This ain't no politics website where you make demands. TH provides content for you to consume, that's their objective. Get real you complainers. The rules are damn simple to follow if you have even an ounce of good character.

aletoil

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
Good times, but the hilarity meter has officially fallen. Sure there are tasteless comments, but some of the more harmless ones may be withheld or erased. Thick Sauce.

[citation][nom]alanman[/nom]Oops, someone got offended.[/citation]
The way this article was written, that's sure what it sounds like.
Actually come to think of it, posting this under the news section or at all seems rather inappropriate to me. It also shows weakness in the site to outsiders. It makes the site appear unprofessional especially, as I said before, because of the way the article was written.
Any forum rules etc, are read by members upon joining. Instead of telling us all and any visitors that you will start banning poeple, just ban them or warn them depending on the situation. Then the site does not appear unprofessional and it gets cleaned up. If the information in this article is important and it is thought that members should be informed or reminded of the rules, it should not be done in the news. This article will find its way out of the limelight very quickly, without too many members actually reading it.

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]It's a bug. We're fixing it. If you click view the comments in the forums you can see them all.[/citation]

Why not ditch the up/down buttons for a while? I think it is quite obvious nobody uses them correctly and 99% of the time it serves to silence those who carry a less zealot-driven opinion.

For instance, if you have a large population of 18 year olds who can't afford, or don't have the technical background, to understand why someone doesn't always seek to buy a budget-minded solution, the moderation effectively serves to silence any other type of conversation that may otherwise flourish here.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]enzo matrix[/nom]The way this article was written, that's sure what it sounds like.Actually come to think of it, posting this under the news section or at all seems rather inappropriate to me. It also shows weakness in the site to outsiders. It makes the site appear unprofessional especially, as I said before, because of the way the article was written.Any forum rules etc, are read by members upon joining. Instead of telling us all and any visitors that you will start banning poeple, just ban them or warn them depending on the situation. Then the site does not appear unprofessional and it gets cleaned up. If the information in this article is important and it is thought that members should be informed or reminded of the rules, it should not be done in the news. This article will find its way out of the limelight very quickly, without too many members actually reading it.[/citation]

The problem isn't people like you. The problem is with the bunch today that were already removed who don't contribute anything to the community except the bad things I listed in the article. And to keep the community healhty and intelligent, I plan to keep reminding people once in a while.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]enzo matrix[/nom]Any forum rules etc, are read by members upon joining.[/citation]
Clearly they aren't. Otherwise people would:

1) Not be getting banned, and
2) Would not be complaining about free speech, when you signed away free (as in completely unrestricted) speech on this site by accepting the ToS.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I'm sorry to see this happen here, but am I surprised, hardly. Every place that has forums, comments, blogs, will by enlarge have a degenerative force that springs forth from the ether. Things always seem to get to the level of elementary school at recess on the playground. People that feel the rules don't apply to them because "they're special". I love the idea of "common sense" but I'm afraid it's a rarity. I commend Tom's for trying to return the site to a professional environment of learning, discovery and hopefully objective information.

porksmuggler

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2008
DON'T: Sanctimonious rants vindicating rage bans.
DO: Explain the moderator policy without terms like douchebag, *sshole, and quoting personal attacks.

Does this count as constructive? Any wonder the comments are so lively, when you (Tuan) insist on presenting material in such an emotional, patronizing manner?

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]porksmuggler[/nom]DON'T: Sanctimonious rants vindicating rage bans.DO: Explain the moderator policy without terms like douchebag, *sshole, and quoting personal attacks.Does this count as constructive? Any wonder the comments are so lively, when you (Tuan) insist on presenting material in such an emotional, patronizing manner?[/citation]

The article isn't targetted at people with respectable character, such as yourself. It's targetting at another group of commenters who hide behind their anonymity.

Status
Not open for further replies.