How to Use Our Comments, and Not Get Banned

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
BTW this is off topic (don't ban me please). I have not seen a tri-channel memory round-up or review in a long time (I think august of 09). Toms could you do one? Maybe I am wrong if so please post a link for me, thanks. I haven't been paying attention to the memory side of things in a while and I am building a new x58 rig.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
It's all nice but I believe a lot of us would appreciate if you (Kev) would SPELLCHECK first before posting an article on a well known public website.

gersonrel

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
well, I guess we'll be seeing "I want to play Crysis 2 and was wondering if anyone knows how well these games run on this Device." a lot.

sebastienm

Distinguished
May 18, 2005
Thank you!!!
So many times I read the comments hoping to find more interesting info about an article, but so many times I end up just wasting my time due to the off-topic comments, lack of perspective comments, expert comments from people with no knowledge...
I wrote you about the issue a year ago, and I am glad to see that I am apparently not the only one.
Hopefully this will increase the quality of the site.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
These are common sense rules and I'm all for it.

There is still room for funny and witty comments, and occasionally a question about if it will play a certain game.

peacock3

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]homrqt[/nom]I was "banned" for posting my opinion....[/citation]

You were? Looks like you're still here and all. :)

liquidon

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Wow...... my first comment is on this article.... Well I have been coming here for years and have enjoyed the (what mr nguyen says is dumb)comments and the battles that no one can win in the forms. Now dont get me wrong sometimes it is a little too much. But, it is a sad day when on another article (the one where the chargers have the trojans in them) people are afraid to say "but can it play....". Yes I know that had nothing to do with the trojan but man that would have been a little smirk on my face when I read that!!! I mean that comment "but can it play" says a lot. I mean being a advid PC gamer for most of my life and this is the one of the few games that can have a comment like that this just shows that PC gaming is getting jacked and jacked hard. I hope there is another day or (game) that can warrent the comment "but can it play ..." Well keep up the good work fanboys and I will still laugh as long as you dont get banned.

Duces

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I think it's an unfortunate side-effect of net culture where too many people follow the rules of /b/ and don't actually consider that a professional or enthusiast site is NOT the place to exercise your being 'anonymous'. The 'net is evolving from the wild-west frontier where anything goes and lawmen were far and few between to a more civilized, and frankly more profitable, engaging, and culturally relevant place. I see this as a positive step forward, and something that will make for more dynamic conversations. Thanks, Tom!

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Actually this site is like Pleasantville compared to some sites and forums I'm a member of. The insults and racist remakes should not be tolerated at all and I comment the moderator for that but the Crysis thing went over my head. For a long time Crysis has been the benchmark software for gamers looking to upgrade to new hardware. I don't get it.
The Ban hammer on the other hand looks cool. I'm thinking for a post deletion you should use a Gim Sword

ultameca

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
Also I second that guy who said we should be able to edit and delete our own posts, obviously because then I would have deleted the extra two instead of posting a 4th.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
I am one of those who thoroughly dislikes what I feel is overuse of the phrase "But can it play Crysis?" but must also say that when I see it I just grumble to myself and move on. I think Tom's is taking the right approach here and it makes me feel better to see action taken regarding this issue.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]I'm not talking about you. You already know who i'm referring to. Like it or leave it, the rules are simple. I don't want the type of commenters who act like what I described in the article as out of reason to be here anyway. They contribute to the filth.[/citation]
I know ... I know ... I was just giving you a hard time. But I still can't post comments with my other profile. What gives? :)

spoofedpacket

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]I totally agree with this Tuan. Hoping those fanboys will tone it down a bit. I'm tired of reading Intel Vs AMD and ATI vs nVidia threads.[/citation]

I won't even link Tom's at my job, and I send links out to clients all day, every day. In the early days, Tom's was THE site with quality hardware forums. Nowadays? Nonstop fanboy trash that reads like it was put together by kids fresh off Xbox Live forums.

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
But ca... *banned*

I all seriousness, does the "show" button for thumbed-down comments no longer work, or is it just my computer? That would be really lame, most people just thumb down people they disagree with anyways.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]smithereen[/nom]But ca... *banned*I all seriousness, does the "show" button for thumbed-down comments no longer work, or is it just my computer? That would be really lame, most people just thumb down people they disagree with anyways.[/citation]

It's a bug. We're fixing it. If you click view the comments in the forums you can see them all.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]smlong426[/nom]I know ... I know ... I was just giving you a hard time. But I still can't post comments with my other profile. What gives? :)[/citation]

No idea lol. ;)

[citation][nom]Article[/nom]DO: "I want to play these types of games and was wondering if anyone knows how well these games run on X CPU/GPU?"[/citation]
I notice most of these comments are voted down and nobody pays them any bother. I've asked a few questions that stay on topic myself. No answer, just voted down and disappear.

Status
Not open for further replies.