How to Use Our Comments, and Not Get Banned

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

akhodjaev

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]You didn't read carefully what you quoted on me even.And about showing off comments to companies as some form of authority, maybe in the future, but in its current state, no.[/citation]

That's the whole point, i do not need to read your article to get the message, i can read feedback and understand what it is being said and read your article later.

I am sorry, what i understood, I will be working on monitoring what you say, but do not have time to improve it.

sometime ago we were discussing the article about APPLE deleting some feedback about their products, you start doing that we will be talking about you on other forums.

camerone222

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
A change that is well warranted. Too many trolls have been showing up on this site, and I've almost stopped posting altogether. I still read most of the comments, but the substance and intelligence level seem to have dropped off in the last year or so.

Thanks Tom's and the staff, and keep up the good work.

To the OP, it looks like they were saying they'll just delete the "can it play..." and "First!" stuff, but I could be wrong.

Sorry to say but freedom of expression on the open net can't and shouldn't be policed after all every one has something to say that others do not agree with and would take offense but that is human nature. Second many of us already live in police states so it is NORMAL for them to find ways to vent even in the comment sections of news articles even CNN can't escape that. So to bring out the roman flagrum on so called offenders on people who are like your selves is a practice of hypocrisy and sadism when they say something that isn't in line with the rest. Not every one is like the rest nor is there room for people who are like all the rest being passive obeisant subservient office drones who cower at the feet of the boss. The real world is for people who stand out and be their honest selves so expression is just another activity necessary in life. After all we are all not some worker bees who do what we are told.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]tamick88[/nom]Forgive me for saying so but an *you may be banned for* to me is as bad or worse as *you will be banned for* because it also implies some inconsistancy on the enforcement of said rule by the moderators themselves.[/citation]

No. Have you ever talked to a police officer?

They'll tell you that rules are on a case by case basis becuase you need to be flexible. You can't be a police officer if you're stiff like a rock. Sometimes, sound judgement needs to come into play.

May ban, and will ban, are NOT the same thing. We will use assess the situation with some thought before action.

Ambictus

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
[citation][nom]akhodjaev[/nom]That's the whole point, i do not need to read your article to get the message, i can read feedback and understand what it is being said and read your article later.I am sorry, what i understood, I will be working on monitoring what you say, but do not have time to improve it.sometime ago we were discussing the article about APPLE deleting some feedback about their products, you start doing that we will be talking about you on other forums.[/citation]

Feedback/criticism and insults are 2 very different things. Though it's apparent many of Tom's readers disagree.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]akhodjaev[/nom]That's the whole point, i do not need to read your article to get the message, i can read feedback and understand what it is being said and read your article later.I am sorry, what i understood, I will be working on monitoring what you say, but do not have time to improve it.sometime ago we were discussing the article about APPLE deleting some feedback about their products, you start doing that we will be talking about you on other forums.[/citation]

You're taking this too far.

The rules are simple and implied clearly with common sense in what I wrote in the article. Really.

There's not much to it. But nice, and not offensive. Add something of value (info or good humor).

That's it.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Well the intent with the thumbs was to have the community clean itself, but obviously that didn't work because even stupid comments got voted up to +20 sometimes by other equally stupid commenters.[/citation]

thats what the report abuse button is for if it violates TOU. please get rid of the thumbs so we don't have legitimate statements censored by fanboys and trolls.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Good. The comments section has become nothing but platform/company/CEO bashing. The internet has given idiots a place to force their misinformed opinions and biased views anywhere they have a forum to do it.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]Well the intent with the thumbs was to have the community clean itself, but obviously that didn't work because even stupid comments got voted up to +20 sometimes by other equally stupid commenters.[/citation]

tuan, i doubt ppl talking racist and religious or direct insults wer voted thumbs up to +20, but stupid comments can be liked too, and that doesn't give u the OK to call the those voters stupid. I agree on everything ur doing, but that was a bit unprofessional for the writer to call ANY of his readers that. i hope i'm not out of line to say this.

Zoonie

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]SUGGESTION: Thumbs up and Thumbs down for the actual article. That would be pretty cool.[/citation]

Tuan, the suggestion mentioned above. Please, please, pretty please? That way we perhaps can show our dissatisfaction without throwing out a "FFS!" :)

I believe that would keep the comments section clean aswell!

And also.. Come on, I still giggle at the Crysis jokes ;) Humor no matter how childish or silly should be allowed imo! :)

Elsapo

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]We love you too! And it's not growing apart it's growing up.[/citation]

That was underhanded and personal, a well veiled attack. Am I bad because I love it?
As for the mild censorship, it was time. Even free speech has limits or consequences, your pick.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
Great! I've noticed for a while foul language increasing in comments. No more, I hope. And I'll repeat what I and many others have said over and over: there really should be an "edit" button for comments!

tamick88

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]tuannguyen[/nom]No. Have you ever talked to a police officer?They'll tell you that rules are on a case by case basis becuase you need to be flexible. You can't be a police officer if you're stiff like a rock. Sometimes, sound judgement needs to come into play.May ban, and will ban, are NOT the same thing. We will use assess the situation with some thought before action.[/citation]

Well i agree to a point but it depends on what its in reference to. If its that i might go to jail for stealing something then yes. What we're refering to here is asking a harmless question that does not offend anyone, is not a racial slur or dirty language. The question is also somewhat relevant because most hardware today still has problems running it on a high resolution at max settings. (at least the affordable stuff) So, this is more akin to saying that i could be arrested for waking up in the morning, something that i should never be arrested for because waking up in the morning could never hurt or offend anyone. I guess my problem is that were being told that we may be banned over something that should never be banned for. If my comment does not offend you but simply bores you because you've heard it often before just don't read it instead of banning me.

Its like killing a fly with a cannon lol.

sinner01

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]oh man! .... i'm gona miss all the jokes and witty comments i used to read, i so hope they won't be classified under "insults" that would just make me sad .... plz take in mind that most comments would be referring to the article and not the writer. BIG DIFFERENCE[/citation]

I agree with this, and if "Can it run crysis" is already classified under the 'DON'T' list... I can foresee some of the other comments being taken the wrong way as well.

obvious racist remarks and all that I can agree on, and I will be glad to see taken care of.

tuannguyen

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Dat Phat[/nom]I'm fine with the new rules, but why disable the show button? I'd like to see some of the less popular or moronic comments; it's partially the reason why I read the comment section.[/citation]

That's actually just a bug. We'll fix it.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Dat Phat[/nom]I'm fine with the new rules, but why disable the show button? I'd like to see some of the less popular or moronic comments; it's partially the reason why I read the comment section.[/citation]

We didn't disable it, it's broken. Lame, I know, but we're working on it. If you reeeeeally wanna see all the hidden comments, click "read the comments on the forums" link and you can see them all. :)

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I'm seeing a lot of sites start swinging the ban-hammer of late, and its a trend that is picking up pace rapidly.

Soon my jaunts through the Internet, will be like walking through a world full of mimes.

G

I hate to say it but you just open a can of worms, this is Internet after all, you will post what you like and we will read what we like. Personal attack will always happen on all the forums, you will need to learn to ignore it and move on rather then waste your time patrol the forums. I am Vietnamese too, and my English is not perfect and people from other forums always had something to say about my English when they try to attacked me. But in the end most of those type attacker is just a loser on the other end, therefore you may not want to bring yourself down to their level.

A lot of them don't have life while I made six figure income and some of them think because my English was not good I am not capable like them or smart like them, but the truth is, this is Internet and there are so many effingtard out there try to so the ego and you just waste you time. Just write and research on the new stuff out there, and like I say before, if I don't like what you write I will move on, and I am sure a lot will do the same too. just do what you get pay to do rather then upset over some tard on the internet

counterpart

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
*shrug*

1) This seems like the author took personal offense to a particular comment which then resulted in this new policy. There would have been more credibility to this if this would have been in response to one user insulting another user.

2) I find the comments quite entertaining. To be honest, the interaction of the users is the main reason I come to this site. And yes, even some of the more silly comments add value to me.

I don't know. Words are just words. If someone takes offense to what some idiot said, that's their own business. I do know though that restricting the freedom of speech is a dangerous road to go down...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS