How to Use Our Comments, and Not Get Banned

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

choctawfootball

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I don't have a problem with the new terms of use.

However if a user makes a stupid comment and another user calls him out on it then there should be no ban.
Same applies if a user asks a stupid comment.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
so are well in agreement that now that we have mods to clean up obvious trolling that we got from certain users(tuan you were right in banning "etichi". i've seen him and "r3tard" trolling and harassing others) can we get rid of these thumbs down and up nonsense. keep the report abuse button but those thumbs are just dumb and pointless since its a tech website.

If the terminology used is non offensive and without insult then here shouldn't be a problem, however this has not always been the case hence the the clamp down.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
It's clear to me. Not that I've posted insulting comments, it's just that this website is made for a different purpose :) Besides that we are all visitors here so we should respect the creators and their rules. If you need to vent I suggest making your own flame website, and see how that works out for you. People just do not do this stuff in real life why do it on a website? Besides it's not even worth reading insulting comments they are not even funny. It's cool that tom's is still allowing funny comments, and as long as they have value I could actually buy something like that lol.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]VWXYZ[/nom]Hurray for Tom's!I think more websites need to step up like this, I think it was Engadget doing it too!Maybe we can get a better internet? A internet where bad behavior gets punished, just like insulting someone in real life would!Glad to see the ban hammer being wilded on those deserving![/citation]
People get punished for insulting others in RL? Last I read the paper, a guy may walk for killing a girl caught on security footage...

I like a little spice, because everyone being uber friendly is too boring, it's just like living in Canada! =D

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
What I find kind of sad though is that this post was one of the best written, non-typo filled, most thought out articles I've read on this site in awhile. It would be nice if all articles could show such time and dedication. Someone obviously edited or proof-read this one. Now just KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]croc[/nom]Tuan, I consider the use of 'douche bag' just as offensive as the terms 'retard, moron, idiot'... Unless you are actually referring to a feminine hygiene product, and not the posters (no matter how irritating they are) of this (or any other) comment section. Please warn your self about a possible banning for using such a term.[/citation]

He does have a point. Use of that term is in relation to feminine products, and when I hear things like that from kids I think "juvenile" quietly in my head. Maybe its just because I was raised a bit conservatively (taught respect) or maybe its because I had sisters, I don't know - but it really is a bit sexist and disgusting. Sort of like the word "pimp" is largely accepted but still quite deragotory when you consider that a pimp is someone who historically rapes, beats, and sells women for money. There are just certain words that respectable adults probably ought to try to omit from their vocabulary, and I think he had a point.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Who cares about Crysis or Crysis 2. I wonder if it'll play Crysis 3!! Anyway, all kidding aside, I always laugh when I read a comment like that and it ALWAYS seems to get a few thumbs up. I'm with the idea another poster had, is that to let the other readers dictate is a post is questionable by the number of thumbs down it gets. I'd say if it gets at least 3-4 thumbs down, the comment should be reviewed and appropriate action should be done if need be.

drakentao

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
I am glad to see Tuan putting his foot down, he reminds me someone I knew growing up with in Chesapeake.

It as always made me wonder how some people think it is more effective to get your point across by using derogatory language, racial slurs, or other nonsense. Often enough, if you cannot conduct a logical and civilized conversation with someone it is probably because your argument is flawed in the first place.

Remember people, just because politicians and the media use such tactics, does not mean you have to stoop that level.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
So since whoever is moderating this right now deleted my rather polite and relative post does that mean you're going to start proofreading articles for spelling/grammar errors now? I agree that some posts are just pure flame but I had a valid point - this article was one of the better written lately, and it IS. So why the heavy-handed nazi=like deletion? Anandtech has always had the upper hand on you guys, and that's because they don't rush stuff to press and they know what they're talking about Anand rocks, take note. If you can't handle OPINIONS, then you shouldn't allow reader comments at all. FREE means FREE to state opinion. I am not being rude at all!

G

Racism and Hate have no place on Tomshardware or anywhere at al!!

But stupidity, well thats just a aprt of life, as long as it does not hurt anyone I see no problem with stupid comments, they are worth a giggle..

I see no problem with a little housekeeping, But I suggest if you are going to take the time reading every comment then you take the time to IM the poster for a withdraw of the comment and warning before the ban!

Sometimes people can be Stupid you see!!

But Racism, Hate = EPIC FAIL and BAN!!!!

jlang57

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I think this is a good idea, if you want to put the time into it.

The distinction should be pretty clear. At my workplace there are a couple of younger technicians who, when they saw me putting together a system with the power supply plugged in and turned off, got all upset. Apparently they think that you can't apply any power to the board, even if the board is not really powered up, while doing a build. My point of view is that you must always maintain a ground connection while handling parts, or use a grounding strap.

In an instance where someone posts one or the other point of view, it should not be acceptable to make a personal attack regarding how someone does their work. Instead of, "You're a total jerk! How are you going to keep the boards from being fried by static electricity? You should go home and have your mom teach you how to tech again because you're an idiot", I think Tom's is looking for something along the line of, "I don't understand how you can maintain a static free environment if you don't ground either yourself or the case. Perhaps you'd like to explain that in more detail?"

Flaming is one thing, debate or discussion is another. You can have friendly geek sparring without getting personal about the other persons intelligence, parenting, political stance, educational history, sexual preference, eating habits, cleanliness, left or right handedness or whether they prefer boxers or briefs. Those points, accurate or not, have no bearing or relevance to the issues that this website concerns itself with.

Of course, the occasional reference to 'yo mamaboard' may be acceptable if it is good natured...

lordcrazex

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
Well, guess that sums up 'The Ethical Commenter' manual... :p

Just like Murradin Bronzebeard once qoute, "It's hammerin' time!"

Go get em' Tom's Hammer! XD

dkenz

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
I'm glad they are doing it. I've been viewing tomshardware for about 10 years now. I just recently signed up. Newspaper is good.. but i find myself going to Tomshardare every day... to read it. Tomshardware doesn't know it.. but it was because of them that I bought a 5,000 Dollar laptop from dell about 10 years ago. I got a question for Toms... its pry already been answered.. but do they give you the stuff to test as a advertisment?

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This kinda spoiled my morning.

I don't like off topic or raunchy posts, but I hate the idea of having to watch my back while posting.

Oh well I guss I'll post till my comments start disappearing.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Now lets get real, if people dont insult each other what is the internet good for?

Seriously, this is a commenting section... And the benchmark is Youtube. So insulting and starting wars is the main reason people comment and read the comment section in the first place. So lets see how it works out for you.

Its like Afghanistan without a war...

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
And how are we supposed to restrain ourselves from insulting the Mac fanboys and the XPisstillgoingtobearoundin2045sinceitssogreatandimsuchanoobitsmyfirstOS type of people?

si7entsam

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2010
Finally, it has turned into a flame war on every post for the past months, although I must say some of it was rather entertaining, the general idiocy and knuckleheadedness (that's a made up word,I know) has just been outright redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.