[SOLVED] How to use programs on a different disk after OS disk is replaced?

izzuddin hamzul

Reputable
Jun 22, 2017
Hello everyone,

I know the title is a bit off and might confuse you a little but let me explain the situation first.

I have encountered a problem when my OS m.2 SSD just suddenly decided to die. In that SSD is where my OS and several other small programs I have installed. But for large programs such as Steam, Solidworks, Proteus, and a few more, I have installed it on my work SSD. I have bought a new SSD to installed windows. So it is fresh with no programs at all. This is where I am bit confused. I thought that previously if I installed my programs on my work SSD, I could just "call" the programs like normal. It could be auto detect installed programs and just paste it on the Start menu. But when I looked for it on the START menu, nothing.

I am asking this question because I don't want to go through the hassle of downloading the installer and start installing the programs all over again since the downloaded file exist in my work SSD. I am still new and this question might be easy to solve. Please give me guidance. Thank you

Solution
For Steam games...

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

izzuddin hamzul

Reputable
Jun 22, 2017
nope. need to reinstall those programs. they have settings that are store in windows.
after you reinstall steam, you can relocation those games.
Well, I knew this is gonna happen. I have never seen anyone done this and perhaps for this reason too. Thank you for replying. Time to hit the internet cafe then. HAHA

USAFRet

Titan
For Steam games...

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game