How Would You Explain an SSD to Your Mother?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

SSD much better than HDD. Difference is the same as between the oven and microwave

lp231

Splendid
When I saw the article title on the front page of Tom's hardware, I thought to myself, didn't we have something similar a week or so back? After clicking on it, it's exactly that same contest, now with a different title.
Not enough participants?
Why don't you just send me the drive instead. :D

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
How I explained it to my parents before I bought mine and they were asking this same question:

Its a board full of memory chips that dont forget what you saved on them when you turn the power off, a way to plug it into your computer, and a power plug. They are way faster than regular hard drives because there's nothing spinning around in them like a regular drive so they operate as fast as the computer can write to the memory chip... which is 2 or 3X faster than writing to a spinning drive.

shishir

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Its just an enlarged pen drive which can be you used to transfer data at high speed to a computer.
A pen drive is like her 'file folder' in her almirah which she uses to keep her documents in and documents can be called as data :)

G

I say just like the old Bently ad, Whoever that was the owner of Samsung middle fingering with his SSDs parading behind him.

RaptorHunter

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
A hard drive has too physically move a needle back and forth to get your files. This makes your computer boot up slowly. An ssd can access your files instantly so your computer can boot up much more quickly.

nsb

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
"Mom, remember that old station wagon you gave me when I moved out? It was big, inexpensive, slow and it used a lot of gas, but it also held a ton of stuff and did eventually get me where I needed to go. That's your HD. An SSD is like a hybrid Porsche. It's tiny and expensive, and you can only take a couple of duffel bags with you when you go, but you get there a lot sooner and hardly use any gas. You'd still keep the station wagon around to carry large stuff, but you drive the Porsche every day."

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Mom,

A hard drive and Solid State Drive (SSD) are two types of devices used to store numerical information in a computer.

Remember back when you had a rotary telephone and remember how long it took you to dial in a number and wait for the dial to spin so you could enter the next number you needed to dial? Well, that's very similar to how a hard drive works; It is constantly spinning and it takes a long time for your data to come back around. An SSD has no moving (spinning) parts, it is the next revolution in the way information is stored and retrived on a PC. It's is to computers what touch tone dialing was to telephones. It helps to speed up and end the wait for the next bit of information on your computer to be accessed or "dialed up".

(This is because an SSD eliminates moving parts and relies on high speed microchips to store and retrieve your information as quickly as a lightning bolt.)

knightmare777

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Cassette tape vs CD (Cassette = HDD, CD = SSD)

"Cassette had moving parts and it took forever to get to the song you wanted, CD has no moving parts and so is instant, going directly to the song you want."

OR simply...

"It's better"

hexploit

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Well grandma, an ssd holds data in the form of electrical charges. It's like the morse code you used in world war 2 but instead of dots & dashes it uses positive and negative charges. If a positive charge is sent the computer reads it as a "One" and if the charge is negative it reads as "Zero". It is in this way that a computer communicates.
Why you're welcome Grandma.
What's that? You'd like to learn to read cobol?

Just tell her ( ones a Barbeque and the others a Microwave) she'll get the whole point in a second. But why aren't we involving Ma Samsung in the equation and why all the Leo Da Vinci writing skills here? it ought to be on the contest page guys, not here. These entries don't count. And mom ain't certainly reading Tom's..... unless they have a new Digital Recipe Section.

Star72

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
I would actually say this to my girlfriend. "An SSD allows you to get to Facebook much faster than an HDD". That would be all she would need to hear.

phatboe

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
You can do a parody of Daft punk using the same beat from "Harder, Faster, Stronger" but change the words to "Smaller, Faster, Stronger". (Stronger in the sense less prone to fail if dropped). In the back ground have a narrator explain these 3 points while the song is playing.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
ok mom, turn on you computer...now turn on mine.
Then mine would ask home much?
then she be like uhh less space more money? for a couple of seconds (she never shut her computer off)...

capp1688

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
It's a very fast hard drive. A hard drive is where all the information on you computer is stored. You only need the first sentence though.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
An HDD(Hard Disk Drive) is like a record player but can write data also (using magnetism to put it simply) It is quite slow because it can only spin so fast before it breaks & there are physical mechanisms that can become degraded over time & hard use.

An SSD (Solid State Drive) ss like an MP3 player which stores data digitally & therefore needs no real physical (disk) medium to read from, while being able to read more information at any time because it has no physical parts(aside from the "memory chip" to degrade.

Pros:MUCH faster & does not make noise because there are no moving parts have to move around (to read information)

Cons:At this time the price is very high compared to an HDD & the amount of storage is usually smaller than what a typical HDD can hold.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]hexploit[/nom]Well grandma, an ssd holds data in the form of electrical charges. It's like the morse code you used in world war 2 but instead of dots & dashes it uses positive and negative charges. If a positive charge is sent the computer reads it as a "One" and if the charge is negative it reads as "Zero". It is in this way that a computer communicates.Why you're welcome Grandma. What's that? You'd like to learn to read cobol?[/citation]
You forgot that a CD spins & an SSD does not... scratch a CD & it becomes virtually useless, but a Cassette was actually much tougher. Sorry I just had to bring it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.