HP 1220 C and WinXP Pro SP2 - no bidirectional communicati..

Hi,
I have WinXP Professional SP2 and HP Deskjet 1220C "Professional Series"
on USB and there is no bidirectional communication between the printer
and computer. In the HP toolbox i have a message "USB001 cannot be
reached" (or sth like this). I can print documents as usual but I cannot
monitor my ink supply.
I have tried to uninstall the printer many times and to change drivers
but with no success. The driver Im using now is HPW8KMD.dll (?)
Please help
jakup

Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB port?
www.coribright.com

"jakup" <jakup@lpi.pl> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have WinXP Professional SP2 and HP Deskjet 1220C "Professional Series"
> on USB and there is no bidirectional communication between the printer and
> computer. In the HP toolbox i have a message "USB001 cannot be reached"
> (or sth like this). I can print documents as usual but I cannot monitor my
> ink supply.
> I have tried to uninstall the printer many times and to change drivers but
> with no success. The driver Im using now is HPW8KMD.dll (?)
> Please help
> jakup

U¿ytkownik Cari (MS-MVP) napisa³:
> Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB port?
Not yet; I surely will try to do it.
Any other ideas?

> Cari (MS-MVP):
> >> Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the USB port?
>
> Not yet; I surely will try to do it.
> Any other ideas?

No results. The driver seems to be the latest version but it is not
"certified properly" - didn't pass MS tests blah blah. After installing
it the printer is connected to USB001 Virtual printer port, works OK and
"your hardware is ready to use". But when I open the HP Toolbox I still
have a message "The USB001 port cannot be reached".
???

David

"
> No results. The driver seems to be the latest version but it is not
> "certified properly" - didn't pass MS tests blah blah. After installing
> it the printer is connected to USB001 Virtual printer port, works OK and
> "your hardware is ready to use". But when I open the HP Toolbox I still
> have a message "The USB001 port cannot be reached".
> ???

I have the same printer (1220c) and no bidirectional communication with XP with the latest drivers from their web site. HP says their drivers do not support bidirectional communication with win 2000 or XP for local printers, either on LPT or USB ports. Bidirectional communication is supported if the printer is connected to a LAN based print server. I wonder if anyone has tried the printer drivers for the 9300 printer which is the successor to the 1220c with the 1220c? You may want to try it, but make a restore point first in case it fails. I have not tried this since I have decided to leave well enough alone.

David