HP 850C inkjet printer playing up

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

This Hewlett Packard 850c computer printer recently started to flash the
resume
button led every time I switch on. Pressing the resume button makes no
difference, but If I switch the printer off and on eventually the led will
stay off and the printer will then work ok. Appreciate any fault checking
advice please?

Thanks, David
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"David Sewell" <david@hereat.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:d8gu4l$f9f$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> This Hewlett Packard 850c computer printer recently started to flash the
> resume
> button led every time I switch on. Pressing the resume button makes no
> difference, but If I switch the printer off and on eventually the led will
> stay off and the printer will then work ok. Appreciate any fault checking
> advice please?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd09171
says this can be caused by the lid sensor sticking. See that page for tips to
correct the issue.

If the printer spittoon has never been cleaned you might also take a look at
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02019
and check this while you are "under the hood".

Regards,
Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
news:11aopu64vlm9o78@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "David Sewell" <david@hereat.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:d8gu4l$f9f$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
> > This Hewlett Packard 850c computer printer recently started to flash the
> > resume
> > button led every time I switch on. Pressing the resume button makes no
> > difference, but If I switch the printer off and on eventually the led
will
> > stay off and the printer will then work ok. Appreciate any fault
checking
> > advice please?
>
>
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd09171
> says this can be caused by the lid sensor sticking. See that page for
tips to
> correct the issue.
>
> If the printer spittoon has never been cleaned you might also take a look
at
>
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02019
> and check this while you are "under the hood".
>
> Regards,
> Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
>
>
Thanks for that Bob, especially for the link to the cleaning of the service
station. I have just discovered that the problem as I have so far described
occurs only if I have printed something during the previous session. I.e,
if I do not print during a session, then at switch on the next time, there
is no problem. Does that help giving a clue as to what is the area to be
looking at please?
Regards,
David
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"David Sewell" <david@hereat.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:d8hujn$8gi$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

> Thanks for that Bob, especially for the link to the cleaning of the service
> station. I have just discovered that the problem as I have so far described
> occurs only if I have printed something during the previous session. I.e,
> if I do not print during a session, then at switch on the next time, there
> is no problem. Does that help giving a clue as to what is the area to be
> looking at please?

Does the blinking light start as soon as the printer is turned on, or only
after a print job is sent? If the former you may have a defective cartridge or
an issue with the contacts. Try cleaning the contacts for both the black and
color cartridges as shown at:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060.
Also try printing a diagnostic test page as shown at:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd07098&product=61012&dlc=en&lang=en#N101C0
(the one with five button presses). It has been a while since I worked with
the DeskJet 850, so I am a bit rusty, but I believe there will be a line that
says "Cartridge Status:" near the middle of the page. If that test does not
print a cartridge status line try the same test but with twelve button presses
rather than the five. This will print a more extensive test. A good cartridge
would say something like A 0 P 0 N 0 for status for both black (K) and color
(CMY). A number other than 0 for either P or A would probably indicate that
cleaning the contacts is required.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"David Sewell" <david@hereat.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:d8hujn$8gi$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
>
> "Bob Headrick" <bobh@proaxis.com> wrote in message
> news:11aopu64vlm9o78@corp.supernews.com...
>>
>> "David Sewell" <david@hereat.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> news:d8gu4l$f9f$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
>> > This Hewlett Packard 850c computer printer recently started to flash
>> > the
>> > resume
>> > button led every time I switch on. Pressing the resume button makes no
>> > difference, but If I switch the printer off and on eventually the led
> will
>> > stay off and the printer will then work ok. Appreciate any fault
> checking
>> > advice please?
>>
>>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=bpd09171
>> says this can be caused by the lid sensor sticking. See that page for
> tips to
>> correct the issue.
>>
>> If the printer spittoon has never been cleaned you might also take a look
> at
>>
> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02019
>> and check this while you are "under the hood".
>>
>> Regards,
>> Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
>>
>>
> Thanks for that Bob, especially for the link to the cleaning of the
> service
> station. I have just discovered that the problem as I have so far
> described
> occurs only if I have printed something during the previous session. I.e,
> if I do not print during a session, then at switch on the next time, there
> is no problem. Does that help giving a clue as to what is the area to be
> looking at please?
> Regards,
> David
>
It could be a similar problem to one I had with a 890C. With that the print
head drive motor was getting worn and stiff; the clue came when printing the
self test page where it would stop while printing test bars at the top of
the page.

Physically moving the head along with the printer switched off would feel
very stiff too.

I half cured it (it's about on its last legs I'm afraid) by lubricating
(with 3-in-1 oil) the print head guide rail and dropping a few drops down
the top and bottom of the motor shaft, having removed it from the printer
first of course.

That was about 2 years ago. Its still going along OK, but struggling.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"David Sewell" <david@hereat.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
news:d8nddn$i7j$1@news7.svr.pol.co.uk...

> Diagnostic self test page is fine. Cartridge status :OK
> Not sure about how to check the lid sensor sticking, not found any help on
> the link you gave..thanks Bob, by the way. I assume it is a microswitch and
> I may have tried to gain access to the workings in the past but gave up .

It has been a while, but my recollection is that if you open the lid you will
see two TORX screws in the upper back part. If you take these out the plastic
case should be easy to remove. You may need to disengage plastic tabs at the
four corners at the bottom. You will also need to gently pry the control panel
free and feed it back down the hole to let the case come loose.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, not speaking for my employer HP
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS