HP e9280t Heatsink Replacement Needed (?)

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017
I was wondering if I needed to get my Heatsink for my CPU replaced? The system runs idle at 37C and 60C under load. I'm not sure if these are normal temps or if I should replace my heatsink since the one from the factory doesn't have a fan... just a huge hunk metal. If I did want/need to replace it, can I just buy any heatsink that is compatible with my CPU? Or does is it have to be proprietary since it's a pre-built HP? Here are some specs:

CPU: 17-920
Motherboard: Pegatron Truckee
Chipset: X58
RAM: 12GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 1GB
PSU: Antec 500W
Drives: 500GB WD HDD, Blu-Ray Drive, DVD-ROM

Hello... Your temps are fine for that CPU... basically you order a heatsink/fan for the MB mounting holes per socket type of the CPU.

you have a FCLGA1366 socket for your i7-920... https://ark.intel.com/products/37147/Intel-Core-i7-920-Processor-8M-Cache-2_66-GHz-4_80-GTs-Intel-QPI

Yes... HP will do some odd ball/special things with cooling and fans... basically having a FANless and a Mass heatsink is a "Quiet" and Safer solution... you could just add a fan to blow towards it and have it connected to your PS for about $5-$10.

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017

I think I might just do that.

haza12d

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017

Ok. I think I might go with the DIY route. Would I just buy a fan and connect it to the PSU and figure out how to get it mounted on the heatsink?

Hello... 1) Sometimes you can place a screw between fins... depending on fin spacing and thickness.
2) Sometimes you can just use a wire tie(s) around/through the fins or heat sink.
3) sometimes the case will have a Fan opening not being used... and mounting holes are already there.

4) If your going direct to the PS then all that is needed is 2-wire 12vdc fan... the third wire on a fan is your Tach feedback (speed)... for a monitoring input.

Use yellow and black wires for +12vdc operation (high speed)
Use Yellow and Red wires for +7vdc operation (med speed)
Use red and Black wires for +5vdc operation. (Low speed)