[SOLVED] Hp pavilion power laptop 15 external graphics card

Mar 26, 2020
Hello

I've got a hp pavilion power laptop 15 and was looking to setup an external graphics card on it. I have watched a lot of videos and read a lot of posts on forum about how to install one.
I've tried to follow the procedures but with no luck.
When i try to switch on my laptop, after all the cables are correctly plugged, the laptop wont turn on. There is light in the beast pro adaptor and the graphics card and the laptop power button light is on but nothing happens

The cables and devices im using are the following, hdmi to ngff.2a, atx power supply 750watts, beast pro external graphics card adaptor, MSI Radeon 5700 xt graphics card.

Solution
Mar 26, 2020
I've updated the BIOS to the latest version, but its still the same issue

The laptop is booting when the ngff cable is not attached, only when its plugged it won't turn on. (it boots normally when the WiFi card is back on)

the cable is connected on the WiFi port since the laptop haven't got express card slot or thunderbolt 3 slot.

as of the black screen switch of the beast, i didn't quite understood, could you explain with more details please?

tried to check BIOS as well to see if i there is a option to recognise an external device plugging in to the mPCiE slot but couldn't find anything

One thing I've noticed as well is that when the ngff cable is connected with the laptop on startup when the screen is black the caps lock light is flashing, it blinks 5 times slow and 3 times fast.

Last edited:
Please specify the ngff.2a connector.
Do you use an additional adapter between M.2 ngff and mPCIe?

Did you connect an external monitor to the beast?

Some of the beast boxes have a switch on it. Just switch it to the other position, while it´s unplugged and try again.
Which beast version number is it?

Mar 26, 2020
Please specify the ngff.2a connector.
Do you use an additional adapter between M.2 ngff and mPCIe?

Did you connect an external monitor to the beast?

Some of the beast boxes have a switch on it. Just switch it to the other position, while it´s unplugged and try again.
Which beast version number is it?
Its a ngff.2a to hdmi cable connected on the wifi port on the laptop.
Its a V8.0 EXP GDC Laptop External Independent Video Card Dock Mini PCI-E For Beast
I've tried the switch and still its not working.
From some other posts I've seen about the same issue its apparently a problem with the BIOS and i need a custom version so it can recognize it

Solution