JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Okay, I have 3 computers on a hub at home, all running microsoft client for networks, all machines are using 98SE and all have the appropriate protocols instaled. And we all are in the appropriate work group.

(2 use ethernet cards and one uses a catc usb etherlink.)

My problem is in the neighbourhood network, you can only see one computer, the one that you are currently on.

HOWEVER, if you do a search for the other 2, they are found. We have all the file sharing and printer sharing capabilities, as well as some good Lan games (heh)

It's just bothering me why the other 2 comps aren't visible. (and yes , they are both on when i check :) )

Thanks for the help.

walkr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is most likely the protocols that are your problem, Do you have ipx installed and tcp/ip, try to set your ip manually, say to 192.168.2.1 then set the next pc to 192.168.2.2 and so on, set subnet mask to 255.255.255.0. Are you using internet sharing ?

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yeah, i have both ipx and tcp/ip installed.

I don't think I can assign ip's manually as all three comp's are given ip's by service provider.

So no, we are not sharing an internet connection. All three have separate accounts. Although the company hasn't caught on yet...

walkr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The ip your isp gives for is for the dial up not your home network, they are seperate. If you got to your network icon under control panel you can check it, you should see something like TCP/IP-> NE2000 Compatible, go in there and you will see Obtain an IP Automaticlly, switch to Specify an IP and enter the IP above. Do the same for each PC then it will work. I've had the problem before and this should fix it. If there is no sever to obtain an IP Address from it will not work, the computers are only work over IPX.

G

mm the fact he can search and see the other computers suggest his NICS are getting IP from some DHCP server if they are set for automatically assign IP, so he's probably on a cable unless DSL lines will assign multiple IP addresses. Either way..

You probably need to make sure all computers have the same workgroup name. Right click network neighborhood>properties>Identification tab>

you'll see a spot to define workgroup.. reboot each machine and you should see them in the NN window (sometimes it takes a sec and you still have to initially search ..but that should bring them up in the window for good).

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
no, we are all in the same workgroup... that as the first thing i checked... and i check it almost everyday....just to re-assure myself.....

bah... it's really ticking me off....

although, we can all play lan games fine and are able to see each other after doing a search for individual comps...

and yes, the computers are setup to automatically obtain ip's, and there's no way i'd be doing all this for dial-up, i'm on a cable connection.

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
wait, you have a cable modem and 3pc's sharing one connection? or 3 comp with seperate cable modems?

If you can't beat 'em kill 'em
athlon "SLOTA" thunderbird 700@1050mhz

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
a hub with proxy runnig in the host computer or a router?
if it's a router, that might be your problem. some routers don't assign dynamic ip in secuence. try reseting the router.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
ok, i'm afraid u lost me :)

If you don't mind eplaining...

you'll have to excuse me, i'm a programmer/system-slapper-together, i don't know jack about networking...just the basics....plug into hub and go.

i don't believe we have a proxy running on a comp. (pretty sure)

We all have separate ip's assigned (i don't know about the dynamically assigned thing) and how would i reset the router?

Oh yeah, and what's the diff between a router and a hub?

hey, thanks again :)

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
i think you have a router. a router will assign ip's to all the computers connected to it. a router is also a hub, it bridges/connects computers together. to reset it, you must reset the cable modem. the easiest way to do this is unplugging the power or power switch for a few minutes. then plug it in. wait for all the lights to come on and try your network neighborhood...

one thing before you do that... go to start>run> type winipcfg and look for the ip's for each of the computer/NIC it should be 192.168.0.x make sure that all your computers ip's are in sequence. i.e 192.168.1 192.168.0.2 192.168.0.3 etc. you have to do this for every computer to get the ip.
if the ip's are all out of sequence, click the release all and then renew all... don't hesitate to ask questions...

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
actually, i think that we are all getting assigned ip's from the cable company....

all ip's start with 24.x.x.x, i don't think there is anyway I can change the last number there....

and isn't 24 designated for cable? which is weird as we are not paying for three ip's.

what do you think?

thanks again :)

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
i read thru all the response and nobody mentioned the file and printer sharing service. did you install that? it could have been simple as that.

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
yep, file and print sharing all installed/enabled,
if a search is done for a certain comp, it can be found, and we CAN share files and printers and all that.

it's just the one little problem, which isn't really a problem at all. We can't see each other in the neighbourhood network, have to do a search to access each other's hd's.
I know, it's only a small technicality, but i want to know why it's like that.

flavio321

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
i give up...hehe never i tell you never!!!
in that case map the shared folders.