Question Huge Performance Lost After Replacing Thermal Paste

Jun 12, 2024
It had been 1 year since i replaced thermal paste so i replaced it. after i boot the pc the cpu speed was stuck on 0.79ghz/800mhz i got around that problem for a while using throttlestop but now my fps is cut in half in all games. When i asked in a pc repair shop the guy said the cpu was stuck on 0.79ghz because of the decreased IPM of cpu fan. I only knew that my fps was cut in half like a week ago after that i replaced my paste like 3 times more but nothing changed. Is it really because of cpu fan ?

Specs
Intel i5-4570
8GB DDR 3 Ram
Esonic H81JEL motherboard
Intel hd graphics 4600

Reactions: jnjnilson6
VR THERMAL lighting up red means the Voltage Regulators are causing thermal throttling. This is not good, especially when your computer is idle. If you cannot find a way to improve the cooling of the voltage regulators then it might be time for a new computer or a new motherboard. A sensor that has gone bad can also trigger this type of throttling.

all temps are fine i checked using hwmoniter
Try using HWiNFO. HWMonitor completely missed what the problem is.

When using ThrottleStop on a 4th Gen CPU, Set Multiplier needs to be checked, the Set Multiplier value needs to be increased to the max and SpeedStep also needs to be checked.

The CPU fan either works or it does not work. Is it spinning? If the CPU fan is dead then it will not blow any air over the voltage regulators, they will overheat and massive throttling will be the result.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2024
VR THERMAL lighting up red means the Voltage Regulators are causing thermal throttling. This is not good, especially when your computer is idle. If you cannot find a way to improve the cooling of the voltage regulators then it might be time for a new computer or a new motherboard. A sensor that has gone bad can also trigger this type of throttling.

Try using HWiNFO. HWMonitor completely missed what the problem is.

When using ThrottleStop on a 4th Gen CPU, Set Multiplier needs to be checked, the Set Multiplier value needs to be increased to the max and SpeedStep also needs to be checked.
Thank you so much i was just looking for a person who could guide me.

VR THERMAL is not always red it flickers between red and yellow and also how do i improve cooling of voltage regulator? Its cpu fan or power supply or ?

Ok i will use Hwinfo next time.

I will check the set multiplier and speedstep next time i open pc. Isnt set multiplier maxed means overclocking of cpu? Correct me if im wrong please.

how do i improve cooling of voltage regulator? Its cpu fan or power supply or ?
You add a fan that directs air flow onto the area.
This area:

7m2NVe7.jpeg

Isnt set multiplier maxed means overclocking of cpu?
Your CPU has a feature called Intel Turbo Boost. Your CPU uses this feature so it can run faster than the base frequency. This is not overclocking. This is running your CPU at its rated speed. The base frequency multiplier is 32. The maximum turbo multiplier is 36. The Set Multiplier value in ThrottleStop is supposed to be set to the max which is 36 T.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...r-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz/specifications.html

If your CPU fan you have now is spinning, a new CPU fan is not going to make any difference. Cheap motherboards use cheap voltage regulators. One of them has likely failed.

Jun 12, 2024
I am using stock cpu fan. Im going to change it soon so it will be fixed after fan replacement?. Im still gonna use the stock fan though but new one.

Your CPU has a feature called Intel Turbo Boost. Your CPU uses this feature so it can run faster than the base frequency. This is not overclocking. This is running your CPU at its rated speed. The base frequency multiplier is 32. The maximum turbo multiplier is 36. The Set Multiplier value in ThrottleStop is supposed to be set to the max which is 36 T.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...r-6m-cache-up-to-3-60-ghz/specifications.html

If your CPU fan you have now is spinning, a new CPU fan is not going to make any difference. Cheap motherboards use cheap voltage regulators. One of them has likely failed.
Hmm i see

Jun 12, 2024

also i forgot to mention that in safe mode it doesnt get stuck on 0.79ghz and runs fine
i have reinstalled windows 2 times more but nothing changed

they weren't hot at all
If the voltage regulators are not hot then it is likely a voltage regulator temperature sensor that is not working correctly. This sensor is telling the CPU that the voltage regulators are too hot whether the voltage regulators are hot or not. This is forcing the CPU to throttle. It is common for voltage regulators or temperature sensors to fail.

safe mode
Most monitoring software does not work correctly when a computer is in safe mode. The Task Manager and other software may not read the CPU speed correctly. If your computer only runs OK in safe mode then I guess you always have to run your computer in safe mode.