Question Hung Error on Apex with RX5700, unable to fix

Aug 1, 2022
Hey all,

Hopefully the right place to post this. I recently picked up Apex and am getting the "0x887a0006 DXGI hung error" that seems kinda common. It happens randomly and without warning, and can range anywhere from crashing the game to bricking my PC, forcing a hard reset.
It seems to be mostly a NVIDIA problem, which confuses me because my card is an RX5700. All my other specs are well above the minimum (Ryzen 3600 CPU, 16GB RAM, 850w PSU). Because of this, I can't find much literature online about the topic. I've so far attempted:
-Ensuring my drivers are up to date
-Rolling back said updated drivers
-Adding a new registry key (specifically [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers] “TdrDelay”=hex(b):08,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 which seems to be the consensus on which one to add)
-Verifying the game files on a consistent basis
-Running as administrator directly from the application in the steam file (this actually worked for about 30 minutes, until it decided to hit back and caused my pc to implode less than a minute into a game)
-Deleting the game with a clean reinstall
Its also worth noting that nothing on my rig is overclocked (or underclocked), and I've never attempted to do so.

Any and all help on this topic is appreciated. I actually am really enjoying this game, but the crashes are frequent enough to make it borderline unplayable and I'm getting a little concerned over the amount of times my PC is going through a hard reset.

Hey all,

Hopefully the right place to post this. I recently picked up Apex and am getting the "0x887a0006 DXGI hung error" that seems kinda common. It happens randomly and without warning, and can range anywhere from crashing the game to bricking my PC, forcing a hard reset.
It seems to be mostly a NVIDIA problem, which confuses me because my card is an RX5700. All my other specs are well above the minimum (Ryzen 3600 CPU, 16GB RAM, 850w PSU). Because of this, I can't find much literature online about the topic. I've so far attempted:
-Ensuring my drivers are up to date
-Rolling back said updated drivers
-Adding a new registry key (specifically [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers] “TdrDelay”=hex(b):08,00,00,00,00,00,00,00 which seems to be the consensus on which one to add)
-Verifying the game files on a consistent basis
-Running as administrator directly from the application in the steam file (this actually worked for about 30 minutes, until it decided to hit back and caused my pc to implode less than a minute into a game)
-Deleting the game with a clean reinstall
Its also worth noting that nothing on my rig is overclocked (or underclocked), and I've never attempted to do so.

Any and all help on this topic is appreciated. I actually am really enjoying this game, but the crashes are frequent enough to make it borderline unplayable and I'm getting a little concerned over the amount of times my PC is going through a hard reset.
Have also tried to verify windows and is apex the only game you have issues with or have noticed any problems in other games as well?

Aug 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

850w PSU
Make and model of the PSU? Age of the unit? BIOS version for your motherboard? Speaking of motherboard, what is the make and model of stated component?
Hey, thanks for the quick reply, I appreciate it.

Motherboard is an ASUS X470-PRO, BIOS version 5406. PSU is a Corsair TX750M, model number RPS0070 (Incorrect about the wattage, but 750 should still be more than enough I think.)

Lutfij

Titan
Don't mention it!

BIOS version 5406
You have BIOS updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version.

PSU age?

Windows 10? If so, what version(not edition) of the OS are you working with?

Aug 1, 2022
Don't mention it!

BIOS version 5406
You have BIOS updates pending, gradually work your way to the latest version.

PSU age?

Windows 10? If so, what version(not edition) of the OS are you working with?
I'll see about the BIOS updates, thanks. I'm assuming that it's not good to hop to the latest version. PSU is about 3 years old. I built the rig summer of 2019, may be time to upgrade.

OS is Windows 10, latest update. I've heard middling reviews of 11, rather not switch until I have to.

Lutfij

Titan
OS is on 21H2?

Yeah you're advised not to jump to the latest to avoid any corruption, if there are any incremental adjustments made from one BIOS revision to another. not all BIOS versions are for the processor and/or memory overclocking/stability. They can be for power delivery on the board.

Aug 1, 2022
OS is on 21H2?

Yeah you're advised not to jump to the latest to avoid any corruption, if there are any incremental adjustments made from one BIOS revision to another. not all BIOS versions are for the processor and/or memory overclocking/stability. They can be for power delivery on the board.
Hey, sorry for the long wait.

I've done a few updates on the BIOS and am not sure if I actually know enough to troubleshoot if there's any issues. The last one (ver. 5809) forced me to restart the PC due to a black screen after update, and I can't tell if its running slower or not. I've seen some conflicting reports that it's fine to update to the latest version, which I'm tempted to do just to have it said and done. Could use to advice on how to not brick my PC (especially because the X470-PRO doesn't support a flashback feature).

Hey, sorry for the long wait.

I've done a few updates on the BIOS and am not sure if I actually know enough to troubleshoot if there's any issues. The last one (ver. 5809) forced me to restart the PC due to a black screen after update, and I can't tell if its running slower or not. I've seen some conflicting reports that it's fine to update to the latest version, which I'm tempted to do just to have it said and done. Could use to advice on how to not brick my PC (especially because the X470-PRO doesn't support a flashback feature).
I wouldn't recommend updating to the beta bios, they can be helpful if you know exactly what you are doing in bios settings but beta bio's can cause more issues then not if you don't know what your doing

Aug 1, 2022
I wouldn't recommend updating to the beta bios, they can be helpful if you know exactly what you are doing in bios settings but beta bio's can cause more issues then not if you don't know what your doing
Yeah I'll steer clear of those, updating is nerve-wracking enough. What do you think? I just tried to play the game and got kicked by the same error less than a minute in. You think updating it further would help, or maybe a trick/tip you've got. Anything helps at this point, no stupid ideas.

Yeah I'll steer clear of those, updating is nerve-wracking enough. What do you think? I just tried to play the game and got kicked by the same error less than a minute in. You think updating it further would help, or maybe a trick/tip you've got. Anything helps at this point, no stupid ideas.
Make sure you are using the correct setting in bios after updating the reset to default, if using two sticks of ram make sure xmp/docp is enabled, don't really need CPU turbo so if you really wanna stretch the CPU life disable it. Double check the ram timing in the bios with ram sticks itself