Question "Hunt: Showdown" crash (Access Violation) 0xc0000005 ?

lunarfallz

Commendable
Dec 12, 2018
Hunt: Showdown crashes after around 1 hr game time. Sometimes other games like Battlefield 1 or Apex Legends also got this crash after long time playing. I have attached WER file from Hunt: Showdown crash. If possible I'd like to know what causes this crash.
WER file: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/14VgwzJZoSh2GjvfdWUXe4AVZawm4qJcc?usp=sharing

Operating System: Windows 10 Education 64-bit (10.0, Build 19042) (19041.vb_release.191206-1406)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
System Model: MS-7817
BIOS: V35.3 (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti

*Previous attempts:
Uninstalling Graphic Card using DDU and reinstalling (latest update)
Disabling and uninstalling OneDrive
Memtest and memory diagnostic tool is shows no errors

*A BSOD just happened when opening Apex, attached the mini dump file (091521-12562-01.dmp) and the memory.dmp file in the same drive as above.

Last edited:
Wow your dx diag has a bunch of problems listed,cbs package servicing failure I believe is your windows security updating. It may be corrupted, or stuck trying to update. Your network diagnostics adapter, explorer, etc. Try running sfc /scannow .You may have to restore your windows if sfc can not fix files.

lunarfallz

Commendable
Dec 12, 2018
Thank you for the reply, I did a reset on windows not long ago (in around a week or two). I haven’t tried sfc /scannow after today’s win10 cumulative update but sfc/ verifyonly and dism /online /cleanup-image / scanhealth shows no corruption. Right now I’m doing chkdsk which will go for around 30 minutes. I’ll try sfc/scannow after that. Is there something I can share or check that may help identify these problems?

lunarfallz

Commendable
Dec 12, 2018
Wow your dx diag has a bunch of problems listed,cbs package servicing failure I believe is your windows security updating. It may be corrupted, or stuck trying to update. Your network diagnostics adapter, explorer, etc. Try running sfc /scannow .You may have to restore your windows if sfc can not fix files.
So sfc scannow shows no corruption. If I need to restore my windows, can I use the option "reset this PC"? and what do I need to look out when installing new programs and driver after reinstalling windows? Previously I used MSI LiveUpdate to figure out necessary motherboard drivers (intel chipset, realtek audio driver, and realtek network adapter) and using NVIDIA Geforce Experience to update latest graphic driver.

lunarfallz

Commendable
Dec 12, 2018
Ok so let's try the easiest thing first. Uninstall your Nvidia drivers, go back one update and install it without installing Geforce Experience. Then restart pc. And try your Apex game.
Right, so I unninstalled using DDU and installed without Geforce Expertience. When I tried playing Apex twice, I got 2 BSOD. System_service_exception and system_thread_exception_not_handled.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1t5FjrA6F52eYluv_6FwLQqhEPao1WHu7?usp=sharing
*checked sfc /verifyonly, found no integrity violation

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
Seems to me like too old of an hardware running to new of a game, then coupling that with poor windows and driver setup, wrong setting and not enabling a registry fix for restricting TrdLevel, PowerLevel or other power limiting related gpu functions in the windows graphics driver registry.

There are countless tutorials, however hard to find! to force older hardware to exert more power without causing errors when gaming too find and tryout on the web, for just this kind of situation, just go searching. (but they have to be combined with doing everything else correct as well)

Last edited:

lunarfallz

Commendable
Dec 12, 2018
Ok so hit windows key+r run box will open, type in eventvwr hit ok. when a list of options pops up click on windows logs, click on system. Please post up the logs so I can see what your latest events were.
Here is the link for the logs: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/19bXeDkpMCKf1veKe8lCqFwWPxylCUNJu?usp=sharing
I don't use any apps that controls the pc, only one monitoring app CPU-Z. BIOS OC function is also off.
Dism result: The restore operation completed successfully. The operation completed successfully. (I doubt this fixes it, but just in case I'll test Apex again)
Edit: Yep, doesn't work, the minidump for the bsod is attached in the same google drive.

Last edited:

lunarfallz

Commendable
Dec 12, 2018
Seems to me like too old of an hardware running to new of a game, then coupling that with poor windows and driver setup, wrong setting and not enabling a registry fix for restricting TrdLevel, PowerLevel or other power limiting related gpu functions in the windows graphics driver registry.

There are countless tutorials, however hard to find! to force older hardware to exert more power without causing errors when gaming too find and tryout on the web, for just this kind of situation, just go searching. (but they have to be combined with doing everything else correct as well)
I tried using TdrLevel, TdrDelay, and TdrDdiDelay, the result is less crash but still often BSOD. My hardware works fine in Windows 8.1 when playing Apex, Hunt, GTA V and BF1 before upgrading to Windows 10. My cousin's similar hardware can handle those games. There's no turning back though, I tried and still got BSOD.

Can you tell me what you meant by "poor windows and driver setup, wrong setting"? Which driver or setting do you mean?

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
I tried using TdrLevel, TdrDelay, and TdrDdiDelay, the result is less crash but still often BSOD. My hardware works fine in Windows 8.1 when playing Apex, Hunt, GTA V and BF1 before upgrading to Windows 10. My cousin's similar hardware can handle those games. There's no turning back though, I tried and still got BSOD.

Can you tell me what you meant by "poor windows and driver setup, wrong setting"? Which driver or setting do you mean?

I meant your entire setup is probably broken, Your hardware and software worked fine when it had windows 8.1 then you upgraded to windows 10, so that would suggest that is the origin of all problems you are having, you just do a format & delete partitions and clean install of the OS, don't try any funny recommendations.

Don't bother with all kinds of other things you can try, this is the only way to get going proper again, if it doesn't work you need new hardware.

I meant your entire setup is probably broken, Your hardware and software worked fine when it had windows 8.1 then you upgraded to windows 10, so that would suggest that is the origin of all problems you are having, you just do a format & delete partitions and clean install of the OS, don't try any funny recommendations.

Don't bother with all kinds of other things you can try, this is the only way to get going proper again, if it doesn't work you need new hardware.
He says he can play for an hour then it crashes. So it isn't that his hardware is too old, he has a software problem. Where did you get the education version win10 download or someone's copy?

lunarfallz

Commendable
Dec 12, 2018
He says he can play for an hour then it crashes. So it isn't that his hardware is too old, he has a software problem. Where did you get the education version win10 download or someone's copy?
Download using media creation tool. I uninstalled the 21h1 feature update because when I used it, it causes problem with the game or the system. I changed it to either 1909 or 20h2.

Last edited:

lunarfallz

Commendable
Dec 12, 2018
So I tried clean installing using Windows 10 Education version 1909 ISO. It works better, at least no BSOD yet. On Apex (the battle royale mode) I got 2 crashes, here is the dump file
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1AjEpZz_8nyMOGZCYRvE5TYlqqLHGXRg8?usp=sharing
The arena mode (which should take smaller need for performance) works fine.

Edit: +1 BSOD Minidump that pop when I used youtube in microsoft edge. I keep skipping using right arrow key and got an error (I forgot which code), then not long after I got the BSOD. BSOD attached in the gdrive.

Last edited: