Hurt Locker Producers Suing Torrent Downloaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I feel this is a fit if jealousy Against her former husband James Cameron. He didn't win the two awards but still demolished all sales and pirating records. Maybe she thinks she deserves more money for a less than stellar film that somehow won 2 awards.

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I wonder if these same producers have compensated the actual soldier that the hurt locker was based on.

I believe the actual soldier was attempting to sue the producers because they didn't cite him as the actual source of the movie and owe him some sort of monetary compensation at least.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]I wonder if these same producers have compensated the actual soldier that the hurt locker was based on.I believe the actual soldier was attempting to sue the producers because they didn't cite him as the actual source of the movie and owe him some sort of monetary compensation at least.[/citation]

I heard that too, around the time of the Oscars. I wonder if anything ever came of it.

[citation][nom]phillipmeyers99[/nom]Wow, crappy over rated movie, guess it has to make money some how.[/citation]

I actually thought it was quite good. It was slow but it was good.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
This is ridiculous. I'm so sick of this; they think that lawsuits will stop people from stealing movies. Here's a little newsflash for all you idiotic hollywood big-timers. People have been stealing since the stone age. There have been laws in effect for thousands of years forbidding it, and it still happens more than ever. Saying "No" just encourages these people to do it more, just to spite you.

I love being in Canada. The RCMP has made it quite clear they don't plan on wasting resources pursuing Piracy. :)

Strider-Hiryu_79

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I heard that too, around the time of the Oscars. I wonder if anything ever came of it.
I actually thought it was quite good. It was slow but it was good.[/citation]
LOL sorry Jane I didn't cite the Tom's article where I originally read that story from.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Strider-Hiryu_79[/nom]LOL sorry Jane I didn't cite the Tom's article where I originally read that story from.[/citation]

Hmm? No, really, I heard that too. I was wondering if anything ever came of it and I'm too lazy to Google...

surfer1337dude

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I dont know about any of you but I feel a lawsuit against those who download the movie is a little wrong, shouldn't they be going after the uploaders? I did not pirate the movie (or any) in anyway, but it doesn't seem right to be going after those who take advantage of the situation. Also I do know some people, who at least used to download movies, that would buy the movie after downloading if they liked the movie....if not they would just delete the files lol.

schmich

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
If the movie and music industry were in the horseshoe business back in the early 1900's they'd make sure to ban cars and asphalt (or whatever the first proper roads were made out of) roads.

G

The judge should just make everyone who downloaded it pay $15 and be done with it.

G

Wrong target though. If someone is handing out copies on a street corner for free, and people are taking them, they are punishing the people taking a free movie, instead of the person making the illegal copies. That is the person that needs to do some real time. 6-12 month in r prison and people would stop uploading .

antisyzygy

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
How are they supposed to find people that actually downloaded hurt locker if they are asking for IP addresses of anyone with bit torrent activity?

Jerky_san

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
So question.. What if you actually owned a movie they sued you for? I wonder if you could sue back saying they slandered your good name or something?

joex444

Distinguished
You guys act as if torrenting is the same as downloading. It isn't. When you torrent, you are uploading or at least offering to upload any part of the file(s) you have downloaded. The leechers are contributing to the piracy just as much as the seeders; in fact as we've all used a torrent program before (Linux if you want to stay on your high horse) and know that once it downloads you are a seeder. You're doing exactly what the original seeder did.

That said, the original uploader is the one that should be punished more heavily. As previous court cases have shown, there is a huge difference between releasing something on release day and doing so months in advance.

joex444

Distinguished
Just to clarify: In the US, you are never going to be sued for downloading. While a crime, there are no methods for the studios to track what comes downstream. They are able to track what comes upstream -- say, if it were to then reach them. This is why torrenters get caught -- they're also uploading.

Contrast this with, say, Usenet. Totally different topology; it would actually be illegal for the studios to find out what you're doing as they would need to break your SSL connection.

G

stm1185 you need to get a life! lol federal prison for torrenting! lmao now that is not right talk about the punishment not fitting the act

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Don't torrent and you've nothing to worry about. I'd sue you just the same if you were downloading/uploading my hard work. You deserve it.

henrystrawn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Downloaded movies are inferior to DVDs. I download movies to preview them. I still purchase the movies that I like on DVD, to see them at their true quality. I don't go to theaters to have my twenty dollar experience ruined by inconsiderate people, endless advertisements or over-hyped trailers. I have purchased 4 DVDs in the past month, so this is not just a rational. I was just sick and tired of leaving a theater, feeling that I was cheated.

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
The movie was released on torrent 5 months before its release? Shouldn't they be looking for the person who actually sabotaged them? Not the beneficiaries.

I think all these Hollywood types should just be happy people care enough to watch their films and allow them the millions they have. There are jobs much more important in this world that don't get half the recognition.

Status
Not open for further replies.