Hyper-V Hardware Dependencies

stephenke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Team,

What specific hardware components are tied to Hyper-V – CPU, motherboard, chipset? In other words, I need to run Hyper-V for some testing that I need to do. I understand that I need an x64 compatible processor with Intel VT or AMD-V technology enabled. They also mention that Hardware Data Execution Prevention (DEP), specifically Intel XD bit (execute disable bit) or AMD NX bit (no execute bit), must be available and enabled.

Is this DEP part of the CPU spec or part of the motherboard spec?

Thanks for the clarification.

Steel

stephenke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Ok... Thanks for the quick response...

I read somewhere on the web that even if you have a supported Intel VT or AMD Virtualization CPU that there may be some motherboard and even BIOS requirements as well. Is this true? Also, if it is true, how do I determine which MBs and BIOS will support Hyper-V?

I just want to put togehter the least expensive 8GB machine that I can (I do not need any great video, audio, or any of the bells and whistles - it just needs to support Hyper-V and load a few VMs).

So i basically need:

* motherboard (hopefully with integrated video/audio/network to save money)
* cpu (that supports Hyper-V)
* case
* power supply
* +/- 500GB drive
* 8GB RAM

I essentially want to put this unit in a corner somewhere w/o a monitor and connect to it remotely, that is why I do not care about the video or audio at all. What do you all suggest? How would you build this cost effective machine?

It has been a while since I put together a system. What are a couple of the better places to get cheap components on the web? I normally shop the Amazons, Buy.com, Newegg.com, etc., but I am certain there are better places - right?

Thanks for all of the help.

I read somewhere on the web that even if you have a supported Intel VT or AMD Virtualization
CPU that there may be some motherboard and even BIOS requirements as well. Is this true? Also, if it is true, how do I determine which MBs and BIOS will support Hyper-V?
Absolutely.
I just want to put togehter the least expensive 8GB machine that I can (I do not need any great video, audio, or any of the bells and whistles - it just needs to support Hyper-V and load a few VMs).
Any recent motherboard and CPU will work. If Intel, check to make sure that it supports VT; it's less of a concern with AMD as all Quad Core support it.

Does it need to be reasonably fast? Do you need or wish to have more than one Ethernet port? I would definitely use a Quad Core (AMD or Intel).

stephenke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Thanks.

So, from what I understand, most of the Core2 Quad processors use the LGA775 sockets. Is it safe to assume that if I find a motherboard with an LGA775 socket and I place a supported Core2 Quad processor in it that I should be all set? If not, what else should I look for on that motherboard to be certain?

I need to be 100% certain before I spend any more money?

I appreciate all of the help.