Question i added 6gig ram, still no change of speed

Oct 14, 2022
hi
i added 6gig ram on my laptop but there is no change of speed. i had 6gig ram and i changed 2gig with 8gig and now i have 12gig RAM.
also i have an SSD for my windows drive.
but adding 6gig of ram made no difference in speed of programs running and anything...
i searched in google there was articles that said changing paging file to smaller size is good for speed for those who have big ram. is it true?
why adding 6gig ram didnt changed speed of my laptop?
this is setting for paging file in my laptop.
im using windows 10.

ff.jpg

CPU power is typically more important for overall performance than RAM amount.

We have no idea what CPU you have.

Adding RAM would have little or no effect UNLESS your tasks actually require more than 6 GB of RAM....which is totally unknown to us.

Do you have a spinning hard drive in that laptop? That is a guarantee of low performance. Change to an SSD if you don't have one already.

Reactions: zinkles

zinkles

Commendable
Aug 24, 2022
Adding more RAM doesnt change the speed of the computer... :(

Normally about 4gb Of RAM is used for daily workloads... adding more than that wont cause much of a big difference, unless you are running apps That use a lot of RAM.

The Speed of the RAM is calculated in MHz. Basically when you add more RAM, the frequency is the same, thus the speed is the same. (kinda) :cautious:

THE only difference you will see is that when you run RAM hungry apps or games.

Secondly, there would also be a difference in speed if you had like 2gb RAM and upgraded to 6gb or something similar... :p

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT : Decreasing the Page file Could cause some performance increase, as increasing the page file will add extra work for your hard drive. Page file is for users with low RAM. Since you have A lot, It wont be used... :rolleyes:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since you have A lot, It wont be used...

12gb isn't a lot of ram, the advice for not needing one applies to people with 32gb or more, and even then you always want a page file, not all processes need to run in ram.

increasing page file doesn't help if PC doesn't use it
it won't speed up pc unless you were already using all of your ram.

there is no normal workload, the amount of ram windows uses grows as you add ram. It doesn't slow PC down as Windows manages ram better than that. It works to be as efficient as possible. It will get out of your way if you need the ram but you need a page file for it to do that.

When you have More RAM the Page file Increases. And also, it is set to system managed, so theres No need to meddle with that...
System managed setting often makes pagefile unnecessary large.
When you have more ram, then there's no need for large pagefile anymore. It gets used minimally, because of enough physical ram.
Automatic settings (system managed) do not reduce pagefile size.
So you're left with huge pagefile, used up storage (unnecessary) and reduced performance because of this.

There's definitely need to "meddle" with it (if you understand, how windows virtual memory management works).
But if you're clueless, then yes - better leave it alone.

hi
i added 6gig ram on my laptop but there is no change of speed. i had 6gig ram and i changed 2gig with 8gig and now i have 12gig RAM.
also i have an SSD for my windows drive.
but adding 6gig of ram made no difference in speed of programs running and anything...
i searched in google there was articles that said changing paging file to smaller size is good for speed for those who have big ram. is it true?
why adding 6gig ram didnt changed speed of my laptop?
this is setting for paging file in my laptop.
im using windows 10.

ff.jpg
Adding ram helps if you are using all the ram you have now.

Page file......yes/no/size....I don't think there is a one size fits all answer.

Try turning it off if something does not work after turn it back on.

I wanted to chime in on leaving the setting as "System Managed"

It does not always make the page file unnecessarily large:
US1myw1.png

I'm pretty sure Windows is learning from usage statistics as to how large to actually make it. However, I do recommend resetting the page file by turning it off, restarting the computer, turning it on again, then restart the computer.

I would advise against turning off the page file altogether. Aside from maybe a program complaining or refusing to run without it, you reduce the virtual memory size to just the physical RAM, which also reduces the commit size to that as well. This reduces the amount of RAM programs can actually use because commit size is often larger than in use, and Windows will not uncommit memory if another program needs more RAM.

Colif

Win 11 Master
It doesn't help to limit page file size to 8gb if you have more than 8gb of ram. It won't use that much most of the time. But if the PC crashes and needs to create a memory dump, and you have restricted page file to below actual ram, it can't make a dump file.

I have 32gb ram but page file is only 2gb. It only makes it bigger if you actually use it. Just let windows manage it and for most part it will be fine.
if you actually use the amount of space in your page file now, you better off with more ram than just making page file bigger. Ram is faster than storage.
If you not using 23gb now, it won't ever use it and its not helping.

Oct 14, 2022
hi again
everyone saying a different solution :))
guys look at my CPU and other things...
my question is : reducing page file by restricting it to 1gb or 2gb can increase speed of my laptop or not? they say if you have a big ram you can reduce page file size to use more ram and get more speed
im not saying incresing page file size ! i want to reduce page file size to use more ram and get more speed. is it possible?
22.jpg

11.jpg

Oct 14, 2022
I wanted to chime in on leaving the setting as "System Managed"

It does not always make the page file unnecessarily large:
US1myw1.png

I'm pretty sure Windows is learning from usage statistics as to how large to actually make it. However, I do recommend resetting the page file by turning it off, restarting the computer, turning it on again, then restart the computer.

I would advise against turning off the page file altogether. Aside from maybe a program complaining or refusing to run without it, you reduce the virtual memory size to just the physical RAM, which also reduces the commit size to that as well. This reduces the amount of RAM programs can actually use because commit size is often larger than in use, and Windows will not uncommit memory if another program needs more RAM.
i did reset by turning it off and on. but again it's on 23gig allocated. should i set a initial and max for it by hand?

my question is : reducing page file by restricting it to 1gb or 2gb can increase speed of my laptop or not? they say if you have a big ram you can reduce page file size to use more ram and get more speed
im not saying incresing page file size ! i want to reduce page file size to use more ram and get more speed. is it possible?
Your system requires more physical ram.
Committed value is 13.6 GB, but you have only 12 GB physical.
Upgrade to 16GB.

If you can't upgrade physical ram, then set pagefile to 2GB initial, 8GB max.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
Your CPU is nearly 10 years-old CPU. It is old. 2 cores 4 threads.

Adding more RAM would help, when you are actually making use of it. So for your case, your computer will not start faster or if you are just running Excel, Word and browsing the Internet, these extra 8 GB would not have a serious effect. Also playing with virtual memory setting would have minimal effect, do not wait for a miracle.

As you already have a SSD drive, and you want more from your computer, the only solution for your computer is selling it and buying a new one.

Reactions: Hamoon