[SOLVED] I am getting a deal on an Rx570 card that was replaced (RMA), has a 1 years warranty remaining, safe to buy?

Rutwick

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
Some one in my vicinity is selling an Sapphire RX 570 4GB OC, bought in March 18. It was replaced (RMA) in Jan this year. It's brand new, mint condition, although in an open pack. Not a speck of dust or touch. They are providing me a bill of the bulk purchase (the lot of items in which the card was bought), the serial number replacement bill which states the old serial and the new. It's for as cheap as $107.

Should I go for it? I am only able to check it physically, as in external observation.

Solution
Not to the extent that a 570 would.

Here's a thread that might answer the question better

Not sure on that. If you have a little more to spend, maybe look at a 1650 super for 159. But for 107, you could take a chance on a used rx 570 or 580. I think you can find the 580's for about 100 bucks floating on ebay. But most of the 570s and 580s there were mining cards.

Rutwick

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
Not sure on that. If you have a little more to spend, maybe look at a 1650 super for 159. But for 107, you could take a chance on a used rx 570 or 580. I think you can find the 580's for about 100 bucks floating on ebay. But most of the 570s and 580s there were mining cards.

I can spend, easily. But my system is old now (used to be a top end rig back in 2011). So I am looking out for used deals. I want to catch up on all the missed games from 2013 to 2019, before completely revamping my rig. Ebay doesn't work well from where I am (truth is, it is bought out buy a local eCommerce player and shut down). 580s are rare, and expensive even if available!

Are there any risks related to RMA'd gpus? I don't mind gambling $100, if it doesn't affect or harm my existing hardware.

Who knows. The 570 you are looking at may have actually had something going on that was or wasn't fixed. Or the previous person may not have been able to install or may have other computer issues going on. So you are taking a little bit of a gamble. What does the rest of your system look like?

Rutwick

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
Who knows. The 570 you are looking at may have actually had something going on that was or wasn't fixed. Or the previous person may not have been able to install or may have other computer issues going on. So you are taking a little bit of a gamble. What does the rest of your system look like?

That is exactly what I am concerned about! If I revamp, I will do the whole rig. Right now I am just trying to catch up with what I missed in the past few years. My system looks like this - Phenom X4 955 Black Edition, 16 gigs of DDR3 ram, Asus M4 A88 TD-EVO3 mobo, and my current GPU is an HD 5770 (I know, that config is about 2 generations old). In addition to this, I have a Corsair 650 TX M PSU (bought recently for the planned upgrade) and a Cooler Master 922 Mid Tower case (Not changing the case anytime soon, it's pretty badass!)

RX 570 may be too powerful for it. But I guess what I would say is if you would go for a whole new rig anyway and would spend the money, the price is right. I guess at worst you would potentially fry your rig. But you've gotten your time from it. I would say you might have some cpu bottleneck. So maybe consider overclocking if you've not done that already.

Reactions: Rutwick

Rutwick

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
RX 570 may be too powerful for it. But I guess what I would say is if you would go for a whole new rig anyway and would spend the money, the price is right. I guess at worst you would potentially fry your rig. But you've gotten your time from it. I would say you might have some cpu bottleneck. So maybe consider overclocking if you've not done that already.
I see. I had actually asked here for a suggestion a while ago, and was suggested an RX 570. But I think yes it might bottleneck my CPU. I am not doing a rebuild soon since I have some other financial commitments. Which card do you think I can go for? I was checking out YouTube for my processor upgrade and found out that an Rx460 or a 1050 would be the max I can pair with my processor.

Rutwick

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019
Those cards are about the same so whichever you get the best deal on. If you can find a 1050ti or a 460 or 560 4gb card, those would be slightly better than the 2gb models.

Somehow the RX 460 seems pretty rare to find. I am not too keen on an Nvidia card, but I will see if I can get a deal. The most important question is, will these bottleneck my CPU?

Reactions: Rutwick
Solution

Rutwick

Prominent
Sep 15, 2019

Great thread man! Thanks a lot, you have been of much help. I will look at any of those options.