[SOLVED] I am pretty confused by my SSD and storage problems

Jul 18, 2021
I had attempted to insert an SSD Nvme card into my pc but in the end I couldn't get it to work. My HDD at the end was even acting strange and not detecting my ethernet cable. I put my build into a new case for the first time since I build the pc in 2015. My build is
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080S (Super)
SSD: Crucial MX100 128GB
HDD: WD Green 2TB (2012)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 C10 2x8GB
MBD: Asus Z97-A
I plan to change the HDD to a samsung 870 QVO sata 3 ssd 2tb and make that my new boot drive by cloning my old HDD using macrium reflect. Since I moved my parts to a new case though my HDD has been able to connect to the internet but for some strange reason my old SSD, the Crucial mx100 was no longer being detected as a drive. I went to my disk management and created a new volume on it and assigned it to D: since it was unallocated. Obviously this meant I lost the data but it was all game installations so no real loss. I went to redownload those games onto my drive again and I see that there is a E: drive available with no space. This is the old drive letter for my SSD that is now somehow unallocated. I try to create a steam library for my drive that is now D: and I select it to be created in D: and I get an error telling me it could not create a steam library folder. At this point I have very little confidence in how to fix this myself. I want to install steam games onto my D: drive and see where I went wrong so I maybe i won't screw up installing and moving everything over to my new SSD from my HDD tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated. Here is some images if that helps at all,

Solution
Alright, is there an obvious reason to why my E: drive gives me an error when trying to create a steam library folder?
Because there is no E.
Steam seems to think there is, but there is not.

Add Library on the D.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png
Jul 18, 2021
Ah, I didn't see the others.

I see 2 physical drives.
Disk 0, 2TB, C drive.
Disk 1, 128GB, D drive (SSD?)

Nothing about an E.
The E: I was referring to was in the first screenshot, where it has one of the available destination for an install of the game to be on an E: drive with 0 bytes available. It is only viewable in that specific menu though, i can't find it anywhere else

USAFRet

Titan
The E: I was referring to was in the first screenshot, where it has one of the available destination for an install of the game to be on an E: drive with 0 bytes available. It is only viewable in that specific menu though, i can't find it anywhere else
Right.
And there is no "E drive" or partition.

Since this was a clone, I suspect that the install thing still has settings from the previous setup. It still thinks there is an E drive.
There is not.

Jul 18, 2021
Right.
And there is no "E drive" or partition.

Since this was a clone, I suspect that the install thing still has settings from the previous setup. It still thinks there is an E drive.
There is not.
Alright, is there an obvious reason to why my E: drive gives me an error when trying to create a steam library folder?

Jul 18, 2021
Because there is no E.
Steam seems to think there is, but there is not.

Add Library on the D.

Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png
Thanks a lot, I got it done. Hopefully I dont <Mod Edit> up installation of my new ssd tomorrow

TRENDING THREADS