[SOLVED] I believe that my cpu is overheating and it freezes or restarts pc when I try to play games.

TTVBTW

Prominent
Mar 20, 2019
I’ve had this problem recently where while I’m playing games and my pc freezes where I can’t do anything and I have to hold the power button for it to restart, or it restarts itself randomly while I’m playing. I’ve tried reinstalling the gpu drivers and the game and even resetting windows (which only solved it for 2 weeks). But the problem has come back. This morning I was trying to do some stress testing to see if something was overheating and when I testing the cpu it would get up to about 80c then it would restart the pc. Tomorrow I want to try replacing the thermal paste and clean the cpu cooler really good and if that doesn’t work I’m going to try resetting windows again but not keeping my files(idk if that will make a difference but last time I said to keep my personal files so I figured I might try the other option.) btw I have a AMD RYZEN 2600x with the stock cooler.

Solution
I have a 2700x which overheated on water.

on my case it was caused by the setting "load line calibration"
this setting send more volts to the CPU when it works hard, making it heat even more.

find the LLC or "Load line calibration" setting in the bios, and set it to "low"
if you don't find it just post here your model of motherboard

TTVBTW

Prominent
Mar 20, 2019
full system spec? include make and model of the psu
cpu/gpu temp and usage?
I have:
2600x (stock cooler)
5700xt red devil
Asus PRIME B450-A/CDM micro atx
2x8gb team group Vulcan 3000 ram
Corsair VS 650W 80+ PSU
(All was bought about a year ago accept for the gpu which was bought about 3-4 months ago)
The cpu temp during the stress test was about 80c after running for about a minute at 100% usage (obviously for the usage because it’s a stress test) and the gpu was fine not even 100% usage or hot temps.

neojack

Honorable
Apr 4, 2019

this setting send more volts to the CPU when it works hard, making it heat even more.

find the LLC or "Load line calibration" setting in the bios, and set it to "low"

Solution

TTVBTW

Prominent
Mar 20, 2019

Alright I’ll try this out.

TTVBTW

Prominent
Mar 20, 2019
test with a different psu? vs is corsair low-end series
I’ll probably do this because I’ve been wanting to upgrade my system but I want to sell my current pc to a friend so I need it to work. I was planning on getting the “be quiet! Straight Power 11 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply“ but I would want the other one to work because then my friend wouldn’t have to buy a new PSU.