Question I bought a better cpu and it has a negative effect on my games fps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
I had intel i5-4460 with 4 cores and 3.2 Ghz, now I bought i5-8400 with 6 cores 2.8 Ghz and made it run on 3.3 because it was overheating with anything over that. I also bought a new Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4s motherboard and 16 GB ram (prevoiusly I had 8 gb ram). So I make my processor run on 3.3 ghz and temperature on every core is aroun 75-80 while I am playing Warzone. Before I had 50-60 fps and now I get 40-50 fps and game is extremely laggy. Also when I am in buildings in a shadow my fps goes up to 120, but when Im outside running on the field with a lot of shadows it drops to 40 fps. I lowered my settings all the way down and managed to get 50 fps. That is still horibble considering I got better fps on my last pc build. I didnt mess with voltages because I am a begginer in overclocking. Any tips on how to fix this or make it better?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With what load? A stress test? Idle? 300 chrome tabs? It's an intel stock cooler, it's designed to keep the cpu within operating range under nominal loads. Gaming, stress tests, rendering, editing etc are extreme loads so can push that cooler to its limits. Which means very high temps, in the 90+ range is quite normal.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
With what load? A stress test? Idle? 300 chrome tabs? It's an intel stock cooler, it's designed to keep the cpu within operating range under nominal loads. Gaming, stress tests, rendering, editing etc are extreme loads so can push that cooler to its limits. Which means very high temps, in the 90+ range is quite normal.
Yea, sorry forgot to say, it was a stress test, and I also get that sams temp in some games that are hard to run like Warzone.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Then you are about normal. The stock cooler doesn't handle extreme loads well at all, to drop temps sufficiently will require a stronger cooler. The Arctic eSports Duo is a very good cooler, as is the Deepcool Gammax 400. Just be careful about choosing a better cooler, there's lots of competition, so even the cheapest aftermarket coolers are made to sound grandiose and excellent but are often times as bad if not worse than the stock cooler.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Then you are about normal. The stock cooler doesn't handle extreme loads well at all, to drop temps sufficiently will require a stronger cooler. The Arctic eSports Duo is a very good cooler, as is the Deepcool Gammax 400. Just be careful about choosing a better cooler, there's lots of competition, so even the cheapest aftermarket coolers are made to sound grandiose and excellent but are often times as bad if not worse than the stock cooler.
Okay, thank you very much, you've helped me alot 😀

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Well, I'm back. Unfortunately clean install of OS did not work... Do you have any idea what else could be a problem?

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
I changed from i5-4460 to i5-8400, also I changed my motherboard from b85 plus to Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4s, and I changes from 2x4gb ram to 2x8gb ram. In Warzone I previously had 50-60 fps, but now, on a new build, I have 40-50 fps and everything is very laggy bcs of that. I did a clean install of OS but that didn't help. I run my CPU on 3.4Ghz on all cores, 70-75 degrees C temperature in game or while doing stress test. Any idea why my PC is running games worse and what can I do to fix it?

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
What is the make and model of you power supply and your graphics card?
The game doesn't use GPU at all for some reason, but that's normal for Warzone. I don't know if that could be a problem but I have Asus GeFore gtx 1050 Ti, OC edition, GDDRS 4 gb memory, the only thing I can see for my power supply is that it is CX500M, don't knoe anything else about it tbh.

The game doesn't use GPU at all for some reason, but that's normal for Warzone. I don't know if that could be a problem but I have Asus GeFore gtx 1050 Ti, OC edition, GDDRS 4 gb memory, the only thing I can see for my power supply is that it is CX500M, don't knoe anything else about it tbh.
That’s not normal. It sounds like the monitor is connected to the motherboard and not the gpu. Also when you upgraded the cpu did you reinstall Windows, you should have.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
If it’s connected to the gpu then it must be using the gpu. It’s either not using the gpu and it using integrated graphics or its using the gpu. Are all motherboard and gpu drivers up to date?
They are, it is a bug in the game and players have been adressing this for a very long time now for CoD Modern Warfare: https://support.activision.com/comm...-cpu-not-gpu-developers-where-are-you-to-help
My problem is that CPU just seems as it is not working properly for some reason, it is running the game worse than it used to on a worse pc.

They are, it is a bug in the game and players have been adressing this for a very long time now for CoD Modern Warfare: https://support.activision.com/comm...-cpu-not-gpu-developers-where-are-you-to-help
My problem is that CPU just seems as it is not working properly for some reason, it is running the game worse than it used to on a worse pc.
Not seen or had that at all. If that’s happening then it’s likely the game that the problem and in which case there is nothing you can do until it’s patched.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Not seen or had that at all. If that’s happening then it’s likely the game that the problem and in which case there is nothing you can do until it’s patched.
Its been like that for a very long time with Warzone. Its been like that even when I still had my previous PC build, but the game still worked better before than it does now...

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Base and turbo clocks are 2.8 and 4.0GHz respectively. Are you saying you've overclocked all cores to 3.4? When your gaming, do you see any cores hit 4.0GHz?

Maybe you screwed up the overclock so that it is never going above 3.4GHz?
It is going to 3.4 Ghz because I set them that way, if I let my cores go to 3.8 I get 90-95 temperature (I still have intel stock cooler)

I understand that. The old cpu has a boost of 3.4 btw. Still, as you state, the new cpu has 2 more cores. Assuming the games you are playing are able to utilize the extra cores, you should see an increase in performance.

Depending on how you underclocked, you could have inadvertently reduced your RAM speed too. That could affect performance.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
I understand that. The old cpu has a boost of 3.4 btw. Still, as you state, the new cpu has 2 more cores. Assuming the games you are playing are able to utilize the extra cores, you should see an increase in performance.

Depending on how you underclocked, you could have inadvertently reduced your RAM speed too. That could affect performance.
How can I check if that is the problem and how can I fix that? Only things I changed are that I put cpu multiplier to 34 and cache multiplier to 31 (apparently its recommended to put cache 3 lower than cpu ratio). I also turned on XMP profile in BIOS to get 3200 Mhz out of my RAM as it is the speed it is supossed to have. I don't know if I messed up the RAM somehow.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
90nP5T.png
DP15jM.png
Yea I think something is wrong with my RAM speed although I don't know if it can affect my gameplay that much. I don't know if it shows max speed or speed at the moment but I am not stress testing anything this is just normal pc state. It says XMP-3200 but for some reason Frequency is 1600 MHz. I also don't know if voltages are good I didn't touch them they are as they were at the beggining. How do I turn my speed up then because I put 3200 MHz in bios but apparently it's not giving me that speed.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
90nP5T.png
DP15jM.png
Yea I think something is wrong with my RAM speed although I don't know if it can affect my gameplay that much. I don't know if it shows max speed or speed at the moment but I am not stress testing anything this is just normal pc state. It says XMP-3200 but for some reason Frequency is 1600 MHz. I also don't know if voltages are good I didn't touch them they are as they were at the beggining. How do I turn my speed up then because I put 3200 MHz in bios but apparently it's not giving me that speed.
It is the same on both sticks ofc.

Your GTX1050ti just meets minimum specs , it is about the equivalent of a GTX1650 referenced here:
https://support.activision.com/call...nd-recommended-specs-for-call-of-duty-warzone

That does not explain why you are getting less performance with a stronger cpu.
A Z390 based motherboard will allow overclocking properly of Z suffix processors. Attempting this with your non overclockable processor may be at least part of the problem.
I suggest you reset to default bios settings and see how you do.