Question I bought a better cpu and it has a negative effect on my games fps

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
I had intel i5-4460 with 4 cores and 3.2 Ghz, now I bought i5-8400 with 6 cores 2.8 Ghz and made it run on 3.3 because it was overheating with anything over that. I also bought a new Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4s motherboard and 16 GB ram (prevoiusly I had 8 gb ram). So I make my processor run on 3.3 ghz and temperature on every core is aroun 75-80 while I am playing Warzone. Before I had 50-60 fps and now I get 40-50 fps and game is extremely laggy. Also when I am in buildings in a shadow my fps goes up to 120, but when Im outside running on the field with a lot of shadows it drops to 40 fps. I lowered my settings all the way down and managed to get 50 fps. That is still horibble considering I got better fps on my last pc build. I didnt mess with voltages because I am a begginer in overclocking. Any tips on how to fix this or make it better?

Have you checked your GPU's core speed when playing the game? Use MSI Afterburner's On-Screen Display to see your GPU and CPU stats while playing the game, and make sure your GPU clock speed isn't being held back. Also check the CPU and GPU usage on the OSD while playing the game, is the GPU running at 100%?

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Even stuff like res the slider?

You are kneecapping the 8400 a bit though and downclocking it in software not the BIOS can lead to issues because you don’t know what it’s messing with.

Issue is it should be running at the full speed, not using new paste kind ruins the point of using paste in the first place, you’re not using enough so it’ll overheat trying to do what it’s rated for.
I wanted to adjust cpu ratio in BIOS but I don't have the option to do it there for some reason. Also I was told that stock cooler can not cool the cpu on full speed while I am gaming and stress testing anyways but I hope new paste will fix that.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Have you checked your GPU's core speed when playing the game? Use MSI Afterburner's On-Screen Display to see your GPU and CPU stats while playing the game, and make sure your GPU clock speed isn't being held back. Also check the CPU and GPU usage on the OSD while playing the game, is the GPU running at 100%?
CPU is running on 3.4 Ghz as I set it. We already said above that Warzone as a game is bugged and doesn't use GPU at all for some reason, its an issue with the game, more than 80% of the players are experiencing it. I had that problrm with my old cpu and the new one and still my new processor runs the game worse than old one.

I wanted to adjust cpu ratio in BIOS but I don't have the option to do it there for some reason. Also I was told that stock cooler can not cool the cpu on full speed while I am gaming and stress testing anyways but I hope new paste will fix that.
You can’t in BIOS because the chip is locked. You’d need a K chip to do that.

The Cooler can run the chip at stock. A better cooler would let it run cooler and boost better though

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
You could try to change the Physx Processor to the e-GPU in NVIDIA Control Panel and see if it helps with FPS.
Have you checked the GPU usage while being in game? As @Shektron said, use MSI Afterburner and enable monitoring for the GPU, and see if the GPU is running at advertised clock speeds.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
You could try to change the Physx Processor to the e-GPU in NVIDIA Control Panel and see if it helps with FPS.
Have you checked the GPU usage while being in game? As @Shektron said, use MSI Afterburner and enable monitoring for the GPU, and see if the GPU is running at advertised clock speeds.
I did change the Physx, I will try the MSI Afterburner but J am pretty sure GPU usage is like 0% because game is bugged.

Ravz

Prominent
Jan 28, 2020
I did change the Physx, I will try the MSI Afterburner but J am pretty sure GPU usage is like 0% because game is bugged.
Try to do this as well if you haven't already.

A reset in the Tuning App and BIOS is recommended as said by few in the thread. Games usually do not stress the CPU like a stress test does, so temps that are under 90C with stock settings should still do good in games. Also try to replace the thermal paste ASAP of some reputed brands in the market.

Last edited:
May 5, 2020
You said everything is up to date, but I'm asking just to be sure. Since that's a new motherboard, have you checked and updated BIOS firmware? It's probably not the case here, but still, you never know.

CPU is running on 3.4 Ghz as I set it. We already said above that Warzone as a game is bugged and doesn't use GPU at all for some reason, its an issue with the game, more than 80% of the players are experiencing it. I had that problrm with my old cpu and the new one and still my new processor runs the game worse than old one.
That was the CPU, I'm talking about GPU. GPU also has clock speed, in fact two of them - a core clock and a memory clock, similar to a CPU's clock speed and the RAM's clock speed. So use MSI Afterburner to make sure your GPU is running at the clock speed it is supposed to. Default clock speed can be anything in the 1800-2000 MHz for a 1050 Ti, depending on which specific model you have. Just make sure it isn't running at a ridiculously lower speed like 800 MHz or something.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
That was the CPU, I'm talking about GPU. GPU also has clock speed, in fact two of them - a core clock and a memory clock, similar to a CPU's clock speed and the RAM's clock speed. So use MSI Afterburner to make sure your GPU is running at the clock speed it is supposed to. Default clock speed can be anything in the 1800-2000 MHz for a 1050 Ti, depending on which specific model you have. Just make sure it isn't running at a ridiculously lower speed like 800 MHz or something.
my memory clock is automatically set to 0, so is the core clock. It says that max speed on that settings is around 1350 MHz base speed and 1500 MHz boost speed. It goes up to that values when I play. Can I boost it a little more and what's the recommended maximum temp for gpu?
pI8BjA.png

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
my memory clock is automatically set to 0, so is the core clock. It says that max speed on that settings is around 1350 MHz base speed and 1500 MHz boost speed. It goes up to that values when I play. Can I boost it a little more and what's the recommended maximum temp for gpu?
pI8BjA.png
I took this screenshot while out of game, but in game speed goes to 1341 MHz (GPU speed ofc) and mem clock goes to around 3400 MHz or smth like that.

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Click "Manage 3D Settings" on the left hand side.
  3. Under global settings, select "Preferred Graphics processor" and set it to "High-performance NVIDIA processor"
You can then check the game for better performance. If you still have issues after that, you can go into the "Program Settings" tab in 3D settings and find COD specifically to make sure it is set to use the NVIDIA GPU instead of integrated graphics.
You should really be setting that per game and not global, because it will make other programs like Battle.net force the GPU to increase clock speed and use more power which means it runs hotter when idle.

pI8BjA.png

Clock speeds are normal for a 1050 Ti, it has a base of 1290 MHz and boost of 1392, and it goes higher if temps allow it. Did you check the in-game GPU usage? Use the on-screen display for usage, or the graph on MSI Afterburner. For gaming, you ideally want GPU to be 100% utilized.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Clock speeds are normal for a 1050 Ti, it has a base of 1290 MHz and boost of 1392, and it goes higher if temps allow it. Did you check the in-game GPU usage? Use the on-screen display for usage, or the graph on MSI Afterburner. For gaming, you ideally want GPU to be 100% utilized.
My GPU usage in game is like 5% or less because it is a bug in Warzone that the devs just don't want to fix, a lot of players have this problem.

May 3, 2020
My GPU usage in game is like 5% or less because it is a bug in Warzone that the devs just don't want to fix, a lot of players have this problem.
5% or less is not normal it is known to have low GPU usage and higher cpu usage but if you’re only using 5% or less you have an issues there

Elephant in the room: when you installed your RAM, did you make sure it was in the proper slots? Not enabling dual channel has a big impact on performance.
As for the cooler, it's been years since an Intel cooler didn't cause thermal throttling. Don't touch the multiplier, the CPU can handle itself well enough.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Is this issue you have exclusive to COD Warzone? If yes, I'd say it is the game at fault and there's nothing you can really do except wait for a patch or update to address the issue.
I think it's only issue with Warzone, I notice any performance decrease in other games, even tho it's most noticable in Warzone.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Elephant in the room: when you installed your RAM, did you make sure it was in the proper slots? Not enabling dual channel has a big impact on performance.
As for the cooler, it's been years since an Intel cooler didn't cause thermal throttling. Don't touch the multiplier, the CPU can handle itself well enough.
I put them on slot 2 and 4, it says dual channel on CPU-Z.