Question I bought a better cpu and it has a negative effect on my games fps

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
I had intel i5-4460 with 4 cores and 3.2 Ghz, now I bought i5-8400 with 6 cores 2.8 Ghz and made it run on 3.3 because it was overheating with anything over that. I also bought a new Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4s motherboard and 16 GB ram (prevoiusly I had 8 gb ram). So I make my processor run on 3.3 ghz and temperature on every core is aroun 75-80 while I am playing Warzone. Before I had 50-60 fps and now I get 40-50 fps and game is extremely laggy. Also when I am in buildings in a shadow my fps goes up to 120, but when Im outside running on the field with a lot of shadows it drops to 40 fps. I lowered my settings all the way down and managed to get 50 fps. That is still horibble considering I got better fps on my last pc build. I didnt mess with voltages because I am a begginer in overclocking. Any tips on how to fix this or make it better?

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Your GTX1050ti just meets minimum specs , it is about the equivalent of a GTX1650 referenced here:
https://support.activision.com/call...nd-recommended-specs-for-call-of-duty-warzone

That does not explain why you are getting less performance with a stronger cpu.
A Z390 based motherboard will allow overclocking properly of Z suffix processors. Attempting this with your non overclockable processor may be at least part of the problem.
I suggest you reset to default bios settings and see how you do.
I never changed anything about CPU in bios. I only changed to XMP profile for RAM speed. I have to adjust my CPU ratio through Phantom Gaming tuning app for some reason. By default it is set to 40 cpu ratio and 37 cache. That overheats my cores to 95 degrees which is why I lowered it to 34 cpu ratio and 31 cache. Can that affect anything?

Yeah your RAM settings look fine.

I agree with geofelt. At this point I would first try to reset things in your BIOS to its default settings. I'm not sure exactly what the Phantom app does to achieve what your asking it to do. My guess is it changes some BIOS settings, so disabling that app from running and resetting your BIOS settings should get you back to square 1.

I know this will cause your CPU temps to go up, but those temps, at least for a limited amount of time, shouldn't cause damage to your system. While at default BIOS settings, see what your gaming performance is.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020

I agree with geofelt. At this point I would first try to reset things in your BIOS to its default settings. I'm not sure exactly what the Phantom app does to achieve what your asking it to do. My guess is it changes some BIOS settings, so disabling that app from running and resetting your BIOS settings should get you back to square 1.

I know this will cause your CPU temps to go up, but those temps, at least for a limited amount of time, shouldn't cause damage to your system. While at default BIOS settings, see what your gaming performance is.
My gaming performance is bad because of the temps so I can't tell with certainty until I get a new cooler. The only things I changed in phantom app are cpu and cache ratio, I will send you the picture.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
dNwp2A.png

May 4, 2020
They are, it is a bug in the game and players have been adressing this for a very long time now for CoD Modern Warfare: https://support.activision.com/comm...-cpu-not-gpu-developers-where-are-you-to-help
My problem is that CPU just seems as it is not working properly for some reason, it is running the game worse than it used to on a worse pc.

What graphics card do you have? If its an NVIDIA Graphics Card, then you can specifically tell it to use the GPU or the CPU. It using the CPU for the graphics is not normal. My COD (both in Warzone and Multiplayer) runs via my graphics card just fine.

If it is a NVIDIA graphics card, go to the Nvidia Control Panel -> 3D Settings and find COD. Then tell it to use the GPU and NOT the integrated graphics.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
What graphics card do you have? If its an NVIDIA Graphics Card, then you can specifically tell it to use the GPU or the CPU. It using the CPU for the graphics is not normal. My COD (both in Warzone and Multiplayer) runs via my graphics card just fine.

If it is a NVIDIA graphics card, go to the Nvidia Control Panel -> 3D Settings and find COD. Then tell it to use the GPU and NOT the integrated graphics.
Can you intruct me step by step because I can't find the option please.

May 4, 2020
  1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Click "Manage 3D Settings" on the left hand side.
  3. Under global settings, select "Preferred Graphics processor" and set it to "High-performance NVIDIA processor"

You can then check the game for better performance. If you still have issues after that, you can go into the "Program Settings" tab in 3D settings and find COD specifically to make sure it is set to use the NVIDIA GPU instead of integrated graphics.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020

This is my gpu in cpu z.
LB34oy.png

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
  1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel
  2. Click "Manage 3D Settings" on the left hand side.
  3. Under global settings, select "Preferred Graphics processor" and set it to "High-performance NVIDIA processor"
You can then check the game for better performance. If you still have issues after that, you can go into the "Program Settings" tab in 3D settings and find COD specifically to make sure it is set to use the NVIDIA GPU instead of integrated graphics.
I do not see a Prefered graphics processor option.

johnsoner13

Respectable
He said he’s getting 40-50 fps in Warzone. I really doubt Intel’s integrated graphics are capable of those framerates, so I don’t think your issue is that you’re using integrated graphics.

However, your temps seem WAY too high even with a stock cooler, and it’s an obvious issue since you’re underclocking your CPU. What’s your airflow like? What case do you have and what’s your fan setup like? Stock coolers on lower end Intel chips are usually capable of keeping them cool enough to not thermal throttle so it sounds like you have very poor airflow. Also, check if your cooler is properly installed.

As far as I know, if you're monitor is physically connected to your 1050 ti, and ONLY your 1050 ti, then it's using the 1050 ti and NOT your integrated graphics. Of course, I could be wrong about this.

What does your CPU Tab in CPU-Z look like? Could you post a picture here?

May 4, 2020
He said he’s getting 40-50 fps in Warzone. I really doubt Intel’s integrated graphics are capable of those framerates, so I don’t think your issue is that you’re using integrated graphics.

Fair enough, I didn't consider that as Warzone can be quite intensive and on a i5.

I'm with the others then. When you added the new cpu, did you apply new thermal paste as well? Or did you just use whatever was already on the cooler?

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020

However, your temps seem WAY too high even with a stock cooler, and it’s an obvious issue since you’re underclocking your CPU. What’s your airflow like? What case do you have and what’s your fan setup like? Stock coolers on lower end Intel chips are usually capable of keeping them cool enough to not thermal throttle so it sounds like you have very poor airflow. Also, check if your cooler is properly installed.
I was told those temps are normal with a stock cooler during gaming or stress test. Temps are fine on 3.4 Ghz but on 3.8 theyre insane. So I dont think the problem is in temps bcs I have 70 temp and lower fps than on my last worse processor.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Fair enough, I didn't consider that as Warzone can be quite intensive and on a i5.

I'm with the others then. When you added the new cpu, did you apply new thermal paste as well? Or did you just use whatever was already on the cooler?
I used whatever was on the cooler bcs I did not get thermal paste with it and stores were closed when I bought it. I was planning on buying it this week and putting it on. But as I said on 3.4Ghz my temp is around 70 degrees C so I do not think thats the problem. My processor is still running the game worse than my old one.

When you get the chance, take off your CPU heatsink/fan, clean both the existing thermal paste from your heatsink and from your CPU, apply new thermal paste to the CPU (there are probably 100 videos you can view on how to do this), and lastly re-install the heatsink/fan to your CPU. Make sure to reconnect the fan.

Then, re-check your temps at 3.4Ghz. I think you'll see a significant drop in temp. If you do, then reset your BIOS to factory defaults and check the temps at idle and while gaming. My guess is you'll see a significant improvement in FPS when your CPU can boost to 4.0Ghz.

Reactions: NeroXXL
May 4, 2020
Good luck bruh, make sure everything is unplugged when you work on it...

Heat issues and ya didn't think to mention the lack of, the knowingly needed, THERMAL paste. I know were all goin a bit nuts now, but this sh*t don't help man.

Deicidium369

Permanantly banned.
BANNED
Mar 4, 2020
That’s not normal. It sounds like the monitor is connected to the motherboard and not the gpu. Also when you upgraded the cpu did you reinstall Windows, you should have.
IF it was connected to the motherboard, it's likely he would have no video at all.

When you install a graphics card in a system with integrated graphics - the IGP is disabled. Neither the GPU or IGP can display their output n the other (GPU can not use the motherboard HDMI to display, the IGP can not use the GPU HDMI).

Something else is wrong - not the power supply which seems to be the go to...

Did you image the drive over, or is this a fresh install

IF it was connected to the motherboard, it's likely he would have no video at all.

When you install a graphics card in a system with integrated graphics - the IGP is disabled. Neither the GPU or IGP can display their output n the other (GPU can not use the motherboard HDMI to display, the IGP can not use the GPU HDMI).

If it was connected to the motherboard usually it will auto detect and default to IGPU.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020

I clean installed OS after I switched all the things (motherboard, ram and cpu).

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
When you get the chance, take off your CPU heatsink/fan, clean both the existing thermal paste from your heatsink and from your CPU, apply new thermal paste to the CPU (there are probably 100 videos you can view on how to do this), and lastly re-install the heatsink/fan to your CPU. Make sure to reconnect the fan.

Then, re-check your temps at 3.4Ghz. I think you'll see a significant drop in temp. If you do, then reset your BIOS to factory defaults and check the temps at idle and while gaming. My guess is you'll see a significant improvement in FPS when your CPU can boost to 4.0Ghz.
That’s all ok, but my cpu runs on the same speed as my last one and it has normal temps because I underclocked it. The last cpu had 4 cores, this one has 6 but somehow I am getting worse performance now then on my last graphics card. Something must be wrong it can't be working worse with more cores, same speed and normal temps.

That’s all ok, but my cpu runs on the same speed as my last one and it has normal temps because I underclocked it. The last cpu had 4 cores, this one has 6 but somehow I am getting worse performance now then on my last graphics card. Something must be wrong it can't be working worse with more cores, same speed and normal temps.
What speed is it getting to in game? If you’ve just used the paste on the cooler you could be massively thermal throttling. Also check your in game settings check nothing has changed there sometimes happens with a hardware change.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
What speed is it getting to in game? If you’ve just used the paste on the cooler you could be massively thermal throttling. Also check your in game settings check nothing has changed there sometimes happens with a hardware change.
I checked everything in game and my processor speed goes to 3.4Ghz as I set it to. My temeprature is always around 70 degrees C or less so I don't think that's the problem.

I checked everything in game and my processor speed goes to 3.4Ghz as I set it to. My temeprature is always around 70 degrees C or less so I don't think that's the problem.
Even stuff like res the slider?

You are kneecapping the 8400 a bit though and downclocking it in software not the BIOS can lead to issues because you don’t know what it’s messing with.

Issue is it should be running at the full speed, not using new paste kind ruins the point of using paste in the first place, you’re not using enough so it’ll overheat trying to do what it’s rated for.

May 5, 2020
What cpu are you using I think 70c 156f in games is a little high for a 6core I feel. though I only cpu's with an aio(water cooler) so my option my be a bit jaded.