Question I bought a better cpu and it has a negative effect on my games fps

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Please keep it to 1 thread
I had intel i5-4460 with 4 cores and 3.2 Ghz, now I bought i5-8400 with 6 cores 2.8 Ghz and made it run on 3.3 because it was overheating with anything over that. I also bought a new Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4s motherboard and 16 GB ram (prevoiusly I had 8 gb ram). So I make my processor run on 3.3 ghz and temperature on every core is aroun 75-80 while I am playing Warzone. Before I had 50-60 fps and now I get 40-50 fps and game is extremely laggy. Also when I am in buildings in a shadow my fps goes up to 120, but when Im outside running on the field with a lot of shadows it drops to 40 fps. I lowered my settings all the way down and managed to get 50 fps. That is still horibble considering I got better fps on my last pc build. I didnt mess with voltages because I am a begginer in overclocking. Any tips on how to fix this or make it better?

kanewolf

Titan
I had intel i5-4460 with 4 cores and 3.2 Ghz, now I bought i5-8400 with 6 cores 2.8 Ghz and made it run on 3.3 because it was overheating with anything over that. I also bought a new Asrock z390 phantom gaming 4s motherboard and 16 GB ram (prevoiusly I had 8 gb ram). So I make my processor run on 3.3 ghz and temperature on every core is aroun 75-80 while I am playing Warzone. Before I had 50-60 fps and now I get 40-50 fps and game is extremely laggy. Also when I am in buildings in a shadow my fps goes up to 120, but when Im outside running on the field with a lot of shadows it drops to 40 fps. I lowered my settings all the way down and managed to get 50 fps. That is still horibble considering I got better fps on my last pc build. I didnt mess with voltages because I am a begginer in overclocking. Any tips on how to fix this or make it better?
You changed your motherboard. Did you do a clean OS install also ?

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
You changed your motherboard. Did you do a clean OS install also ?
I did not clean install OS. I red about it on the internet and some people said it was unneccessary. Also I am certain all my cores worked on 3.3 Ghz, at least thats what it said on the program that reads the speed, I can't remember what's it called.

kanewolf

Titan
I did not clean install OS. I red about it on the internet and some people said it was unneccessary. Also I am certain all my cores worked on 3.3 Ghz, at least thats what it said on the program that reads the speed, I can't remember what's it called.
Your PC is more than just your cpu cores. Without a clean OS install, there is no definite way to eliminate the ghosts of your previous build. Good luck.

Reactions: Juryx

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Your PC is more than just your cpu cores. Without a clean OS install, there is no definite way to eliminate the ghosts of your previous build. Good luck.
I will definetly try it, what do you mean by ghosts? Sorry to bother but I'm new to all these things so I'm trying to learn as much as I can for next time.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
A motherboard is made up of chipsets. There's audio, Lan, Sata, pcie and many others. Some are similar between motherboard brands, many are different. Each needs drivers to make it work. When you changed motherboards, it's like changing sports. You used to play golf, so swung the club like a golf club. Now you play baseball. Your motherboard is locked to the golf drivers so is trying to swing a baseball bat like a golf club. Sometimes that works, many times it does not.

By resetting windows, it forgets all about golf, so when you add the new motherboard drivers, the only thing it knows is baseball.

86zx

Upstanding
Nov 1, 2019
I would recommend getting a new cooler atleast something like a hyper 212 if your cpu is overheating it’s not gonna be able to be fully utilized making the upgrade kinda pointless

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
A motherboard is made up of chipsets. There's audio, Lan, Sata, pcie and many others. Some are similar between motherboard brands, many are different. Each needs drivers to make it work. When you changed motherboards, it's like changing sports. You used to play golf, so swung the club like a golf club. Now you play baseball. Your motherboard is locked to the golf drivers so is trying to swing a baseball bat like a golf club. Sometimes that works, many times it does not.

By resetting windows, it forgets all about golf, so when you add the new motherboard drivers, the only thing it knows is baseball.
Thank you, I will try clean installing, hope it does it.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
I would recommend getting a new cooler atleast something like a hyper 212 if your cpu is overheating it’s not gonna be able to be fully utilized making the upgrade kinda pointless
I don't think that's the problem because I tried playing on 3.1 Ghz and I had 65-70 deegres C temperature but still got 40 fps most of the time. Thanks for the advice tho, I was planning to buy a new cooler so that I can OC it to at least 3.8 Ghz.

USAFRet

Titan
I did not clean install OS. I red about it on the internet and some people said it was unneccessary.
Some people on the internet say a lot of junk.

Reinstall.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, a little info. You are missing a little education.
The base clock of the i5-8400 is 2.8GHz. It's max turbo boost is 4.0GHz on 1 core, then drops to 3.6GHz on all cores.

It does this all by itself with just enable turbo boost (enabled as a factory preset).

The Z mobo's have an unlocked bios, so enables you to modify the cpu multiplier. But so far you have only modified it to less than its stock default Turbo settings. So realistically you are not overclocking, you are in fact underclocking with higher than needed voltages. I'd honestly go into bios, hit F5 to reinstate factory default settings, change xmp if you need to, and keep them that way as it affords the highest performance.

It's no wonder you have crazy temps. Which cooler is on the cpu? The cooler from the old i5 or the new i5?

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
The base clock of the i5-8400 is 2.8GHz. It's max turbo boost is 4.0GHz on 1 core, then drops to 3.6GHz on all cores.

It does this all by itself with just enable turbo boost (enabled as a factory preset).

The Z mobo's have an unlocked bios, so enables you to modify the cpu multiplier. But so far you have only modified it to less than its stock default Turbo settings. So realistically you are not overclocking, you are in fact underclocking with higher than needed voltages. I'd honestly go into bios, hit F5 to reinstate factory default settings, change xmp if you need to, and keep them that way as it affords the highest performance.

It's no wonder you have crazy temps. Which cooler is on the cpu? The cooler from the old i5 or the new i5?
I didn't change voltages at all, I just left them as they were. I'm using the cooler from the new i5, temp is around 70-75 on 3.3 Ghz.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
[/QUOTE]

Also, HWMonitor app says that my cores are running on 3.8 Ghz when my cpu ratio is on 40 (it was automatically set that way as soon as I started my PC but I lowered it because I was getting 90-95 temp.)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok. Don't bother using Hwmonitor, it used to be very reliable but nowadays it's hit or miss. HWInfo is better (sensors only) and actually has headings you can read, not a bunch of tmpin#s.

When did the cpu hit 90's? What was it doing? Are you 100% positive you removed the security plastic film from the cooler and all 4 pins are fully seated? If just 1 is loose, or the film is still there, you'll see temps as such.

Juryx

Reputable
May 2, 2020
Ok. Don't bother using Hwmonitor, it used to be very reliable but nowadays it's hit or miss. HWInfo is better (sensors only) and actually has headings you can read, not a bunch of tmpin#s.

When did the cpu hit 90's? What was it doing? Are you 100% positive you removed the security plastic film from the cooler and all 4 pins are fully seated? If just 1 is loose, or the film is still there, you'll see temps as such.
It hit 90s when cores were at 3.8 Ghz. Plastic is removed and all 4 pins should be fully seated, I will check it after I clean install OS.