[SOLVED] I bought a prebuilt Omen a little while ago, since GPUs are so expensive, however, I've been having some really bad framedrops in Valorant and Rust.

ItsFluffy

Prominent
Feb 4, 2021
The specs of my pc are GeForce RTX 3070, i7-10700K CPU @ 3.8GHz, 16 GB of RAM, DISK C which is an SSD with 477GB, and DISK D which is a HDD with 932 GB. My rust sits around 130 FPS on average, and lately has been frequently dropping to 60-80 FPS. Valorant has roughly the same issues.

Solution
I'll clean it out. I haven't since I bought it honestly, would this explain the constant fps drops?

If a component like the CPU or GPU start to heat too much and the fan isn't bringing it back in check when it ramps up, then the device will throttle (reduce performance) in order to protect itself. This would totally explain it, if it is what is going on.
I would make assumptions that you are also in summertime (according to where you are) and we could assume that the room this PC is in might be hotter than it was a month or so ago.

I am guessing here.

Not a bad idea to use one of various programs to monitor your CPU and GPU temps both from the desktop and while gaming. I generally use Core Temp (works well with Ryzen and...

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Is the RAM 1x or 2x sticks?
It would be unusual for that alone to suddenly cause this, but could be a contributing factor if 1x like HP likes to do.

What else do you have running in the background? Do you have a variety of (game) loaders, controllers for RGB, Afterburner, etc. going at the same time?

It may be helpful in an offhand way to run a UserBenchmark and post the link to results here.

ItsFluffy

Prominent
Feb 4, 2021
Is the RAM 1x or 2x sticks?
It would be unusual for that alone to suddenly cause this, but could be a contributing factor if 1x like HP likes to do.

What else do you have running in the background? Do you have a variety of (game) loaders, controllers for RGB, Afterburner, etc. going at the same time?

It may be helpful in an offhand way to run a UserBenchmark and post the link to results here.
Its 2 RAM sticks. Each 8GB. I have DxDiag, I'm unsure how to use the UserBenchmark. As for the things running in the background. The only things I see on my taskbar is Discord and Rust/Valorant.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Its 2 RAM sticks. Each 8GB. I have DxDiag, I'm unsure how to use the UserBenchmark. As for the things running in the background. The only things I see on my taskbar is Discord and Rust/Valorant.

That's actually a good thing (2x RAM).

UBM is an online benchmark tool. It's effectiveness isn't really the object, but the information it gives without having to ask is helpful.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Your results aren't really bad.

Check "optimize drives" and see if your SSD needs trim. Won't really change gaming perf, but seems something is a little off there. Check to see if there is a firmware update with WD.

Since you have had this, have you cleaned it out for dust? Are you monitoring temps?
It shows your GPU as mildly underperforming. Not to say it really is, but temps from dust build up would be an obvious and easy target to explain it away.

Reactions: ItsFluffy

ItsFluffy

Prominent
Feb 4, 2021
Your results aren't really bad.

Check "optimize drives" and see if your SSD needs trim. Won't really change gaming perf, but seems something is a little off there. Check to see if there is a firmware update with WD.

Since you have had this, have you cleaned it out for dust? Are you monitoring temps?
It shows your GPU as mildly underperforming. Not to say it really is, but temps from dust build up would be an obvious and easy target to explain it away.
I'll clean it out. I haven't since I bought it honestly, would this explain the constant fps drops?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador

If a component like the CPU or GPU start to heat too much and the fan isn't bringing it back in check when it ramps up, then the device will throttle (reduce performance) in order to protect itself. This would totally explain it, if it is what is going on.
I would make assumptions that you are also in summertime (according to where you are) and we could assume that the room this PC is in might be hotter than it was a month or so ago.

I am guessing here.

Not a bad idea to use one of various programs to monitor your CPU and GPU temps both from the desktop and while gaming. I generally use Core Temp (works well with Ryzen and Intel) on the desktop and use Afterburner/Riva Tuner in game to keep up with them.
I also set myself a reminder in my calendar to take my PC out and blow it out every (roughly) 6 weeks. That time can vary based on usage and dust accumulation.

Solution

ItsFluffy

Prominent
Feb 4, 2021

I am guessing here.

Not a bad idea to use one of various programs to monitor your CPU and GPU temps both from the desktop and while gaming. I generally use Core Temp (works well with Ryzen and Intel) on the desktop and use Afterburner/Riva Tuner in game to keep up with them.
I also set myself a reminder in my calendar to take my PC out and blow it out every (roughly) 6 weeks. That time can vary based on usage and dust accumulation.
I also have the NVIDIA overlay and noticed that my CPU is sitting around 20% utilization while my GPU was at 40-60% while playing Rust

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I also have the NVIDIA overlay and noticed that my CPU is sitting around 20% utilization while my GPU was at 40-60% while playing Rust

Doesn't seem to be taxing the system much.

I am not familiar enough with Rust to know if it's an online based game. Keep in mind that games that are among the 'online multi-player" world will see performance difference based on your internet connection as well. As you may be familiar, there has been a pretty big ongoing hack across a wide variety of businesses all holiday weekend. There have been reports of poor internet service across a wide swath of the US and actually even the world as a result.

ItsFluffy

Prominent
Feb 4, 2021

I am guessing here.

I cleaned out the fans and GPU and the dust in general from the pc, and trimmed the SSD am playing Rust to figure it out now

Jul 31, 2021
Though I'd slide in here since I'm looking at the same Specced PC as OP.

From my research the Omen's major weak point is it's cooling. Numerous people have stated that overheating is an issue which may be resolved through installation and replacment of fans.

There also seems to be talk of issues with bottlenecking with the motherboard but apparently that can be replaced as well as the system is fully modular.

My main interest in it is the 3070 to be honest, it's about 2100$ in total with the specs op listed and I have about 3000$ so I think I'll spend the rest on peripherals as I have none.

It hurts my soul to buy a prebuilt as I've always dreamed of building a desktop but with the market how it is it seems like a good deal overall.

Thoughts?

On the omen, how feasible is it to swap the cpu cooler for something like a vetroo v5 tower cooler or hyper 212 or the like. I’d guess they don’t have a lot of room for an aio.

If you could pick up a better air cooler and add a fan or two that would probably go a way towards long term longevity.

Jul 31, 2021
On the omen, how feasible is it to swap the cpu cooler for something like a vetroo v5 tower cooler or hyper 212 or the like. I’d guess they don’t have a lot of room for an aio.

If you could pick up a better air cooler and add a fan or two that would probably go a way towards long term longevity.
It looks like there's a stock water cooler on the processor already I thinks it's a cool master brand or something like that. I think I might be able to get away with the <Mod Edit> airflow if I limit the cpu and don't run an issue.
I've read that it automatically overclocks almost constantly and you need to adjust to get it to relax

Last edited by a moderator: