Question I bought a used video card

Nov 8, 2022
As the title says, I bought a gtx 3060ti used for mining for like 7 months, I was worried about the temps that would handle but it never pass from 65°c. The thing is that i watched a lot of no OC benchmarks for AAA games and every time the gpu usage was 99% with 200w of consumption and always +60fps but when I started testing my gpu I noticed that sometimes it struggles to keep over 60fps and its never over 85% of usage and more than 175w. I thought maybe flash to stock bios but i can't find a bios that have the same device id (10DE 2489). Any ideas?
https://gpuz.techpowerup.com/22/11/09/hec.png
Specs:
-3060Ti PNY the rgb one.
-Ryzen 5600x.
16gb kingston 3200mhz.
Corsair cv 650w Bronze.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're not familiar, we advise against buying GPU's that have used for mining since the eventual result of said mined GPU are...death of said GPU or a lot of hours lost trying to troubleshoot them or a waste of money or all of them.

To also ask, how old is the PSU in your build? What GPU were you on for your build prior to the RTX3060Ti?

Last edited:
Reactions: kurdtnz
Sep 10, 2022
People are upgrading their Vbios mostly in gaming, to boost the gpu performance, especially if they are using waterblock, and all vbios got that PPT power limit kind of things.

I recently came up to vbios issue (not real issue) as I updated the vbios from ASUS official website for my 4 months old ASUS TUF 6800xt. I noticed that the VRAM "is more responsive" and drawing more power when I use the 2nd monitor, problem solved if the 2nd monitor disabled. However, one thing I noticed when I looked at Techpowerup website, my current vbios can optimised the vram more, it's capable of reading more types of vram unlike the previous vbios, for that vram utilisation, my idle if using 2 monitors goes up to 45-47'c and when using 1 monitor, goes around 40-42'c. Before that? if two monitors only 42'c max, and single monitor temp at idle averaging 35-38'c.

So BIOS of the gpu always directly related to power consumption, and, either vram or gpu utilisation. In my case that I learned, I contacted ASUS and they wanted me to return the item to get RMA done, possibly getting mine replaced but I said there's no issue apart from power draw and temp that's 2-3'c higher at idle. Apart from that, my GPU perform 3-4% better at benchmark and in game fps, so the updated bios surely does the job.

It is not directly related to your case, but I explain this to make you less worrying and maybe, hopefully, understand that you are right, this could be just vbios issue.

Gamers Vs Miners got two different goals when using GPU, and it make sense if previous owner somehow tried to apply vbios that's less power hungry, or even limit the PPT of that GPU so it will be more profitable.

If I were you? I'd keep digging deeper and deeper to find original bios and just flash it to get all default again.

About device ID? For me, you probably need to gamble here, since you gamble buying ex mining gpu, why don't you gamble it all?

Check this out

VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp

VGA Bios Collection: PNY RTX 3060 Ti 8 GB | TechPowerUp

The two bios are 99% identical, only difference one allows you to put 5% more power up to 210w, and I kind of almost certain you will be okay flashing your vbios to this, but you gotta know how to do it! and if you don't know how to flash vbios from techpowerup? best ask help, may worth a dime to just come to nearest local computer store that I am sure can help you with this.

But yeah, you gamble once for getting ex mining card, now, just gamble again to fix it man. Because worst case scenario, you brick it and learn a valuable lesson, if you successfully flash it? You score and you may be able to help others facing similar issue.

Nov 8, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're not familiar, we advise against buying GPU's that have used for mining since the eventual result of said mined GPU are...death of said GPU or a lot of hours lost trying to troubleshoot them or a waste of money or all of them.

To also ask, how old is the PSU in your build? What GPU were you on for your build prior to the RTX3060Ti?
I used to have a 7 year old gtx 1050 2gb, i can use the DDU to delete the old drivers if that helps and the PSU is like 3 months old.

Nov 8, 2022
People are upgrading their Vbios mostly in gaming, to boost the gpu performance, especially if they are using waterblock, and all vbios got that PPT power limit kind of things.

I recently came up to vbios issue (not real issue) as I updated the vbios from ASUS official website for my 4 months old ASUS TUF 6800xt. I noticed that the VRAM "is more responsive" and drawing more power when I use the 2nd monitor, problem solved if the 2nd monitor disabled. However, one thing I noticed when I looked at Techpowerup website, my current vbios can optimised the vram more, it's capable of reading more types of vram unlike the previous vbios, for that vram utilisation, my idle if using 2 monitors goes up to 45-47'c and when using 1 monitor, goes around 40-42'c. Before that? if two monitors only 42'c max, and single monitor temp at idle averaging 35-38'c.

So BIOS of the gpu always directly related to power consumption, and, either vram or gpu utilisation. In my case that I learned, I contacted ASUS and they wanted me to return the item to get RMA done, possibly getting mine replaced but I said there's no issue apart from power draw and temp that's 2-3'c higher at idle. Apart from that, my GPU perform 3-4% better at benchmark and in game fps, so the updated bios surely does the job.

It is not directly related to your case, but I explain this to make you less worrying and maybe, hopefully, understand that you are right, this could be just vbios issue.

Gamers Vs Miners got two different goals when using GPU, and it make sense if previous owner somehow tried to apply vbios that's less power hungry, or even limit the PPT of that GPU so it will be more profitable.

If I were you? I'd keep digging deeper and deeper to find original bios and just flash it to get all default again.

About device ID? For me, you probably need to gamble here, since you gamble buying ex mining gpu, why don't you gamble it all?

Check this out

VGA Bios Collection | TechPowerUp

The two bios are 99% identical, only difference one allows you to put 5% more power up to 210w, and I kind of almost certain you will be okay flashing your vbios to this, but you gotta know how to do it! and if you don't know how to flash vbios from techpowerup? best ask help, may worth a dime to just come to nearest local computer store that I am sure can help you with this.

But yeah, you gamble once for getting ex mining card, now, just gamble again to fix it man. Because worst case scenario, you brick it and learn a valuable lesson, if you successfully flash it? You score and you may be able to help others facing similar issue.
The second Bios link is the gpu model that i have. The thing is i have 0 idea about bios flash, so i watched a yt video and the guy said that if you use a bios that have another device id the gpu bricks, i have another pc wit an integrated graphic card i can save this bios and if the gpu bricks i can flash de old one right?.
PD:There is another bios in "unverified uploads" with the same version that i have, thing is i tried to flash it, but nothing happened.

Sep 10, 2022
The second Bios link is the gpu model that i have. The thing is i have 0 idea about bios flash, so i watched a yt video and the guy said that if you use a bios that have another device id the gpu bricks, i have another pc wit an integrated graphic card i can save this bios and if the gpu bricks i can flash de old one right?.
PD:There is another bios in "unverified uploads" with the same version that i have, thing is i tried to flash it, but nothing happened.

Again, for me, used ex mining gpu is like a lottery, you gambled, just make it quick, decide if it's a L or a W. I cannot tell you how things may affect your gpu, no one can unless it's done. Or, like I said previously, go to local computer store ask them to help out, of course you gotta pay them but they may know what to do. Most people here, will assume your problem, you, end up asuming a solution.

I’m going to say it’s not the gpu that is the problem but running single channel RAM, that’s going to hurt fps. Really you want dual channel (2x8gb) instead of 1x16gb. Artificial benchmarks can often fully utilise the gpu with minimal impact from the cpu/RAM, but actual games can be limited by any combination of these.

Reactions: BeastTamer
Nov 8, 2022
I’m going to say it’s not the gpu that is the problem but running single channel RAM, that’s going to hurt fps. Really you want dual channel (2x8gb) instead of 1x16gb. Artificial benchmarks can often fully utilise the gpu with minimal impact from the cpu/RAM, but actual games can be limited by any combination of these.
So if i buy another 16gb ram (32gb in total) the thing would improve? or i should i sell this one and buy 2x8gb?

So if i buy another 16gb ram (32gb in total) the thing would improve? or i should i sell this one and buy 2x8gb?
As a rule it is best to buy RAM as a matched kit. If you can buy a second identical stick there is a reasonably good chance it will work but there is a chance of issues. The only time I have had issues was when try to use 2 kits of 2 sticks (4 sticks in total) and even thought they were both the same model they were unstable together.

If you want to minimise the chance of issues then get a 2x8gb kit.