lothar_wolf

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
I am having some problems in removing the section of heatpipe/HS off my ASUS P5K Premium. It is on rock hard and I am afraid to pry harder.

Anyone got any advice?

charles48864

Distinguished
May 15, 2008
Maybe try this found it on another site.

For anyone curious about the heat pipe assy...be prepared for a long journey cleaning up the mess you make by removing this assy...if you are curious as to whether or not heat is being transferred properly thinking the heatsinks feel rather cool even though you are pumping a decent dose of voltage...

The north and south bridge are mounted with something more akin to a two part thermal epoxy. Key word "epoxy" :) You will need a blow dryer to heat up the south bridge as it covers a large area (chip wise) and you will not be able to remove the assy without heating up contact points during removal. Compared to recent mobos I've seen this at least makes good contact as opposed to massive globs of grease running every which way.

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/3967/dsc0518ov9.th.jpg (http://img184.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc0518ov9.jpg)

It took awhile to get the SB cleaned up. Just multiply the NB that you see times two. This was using Arctic cleaning solution, blow dryer and fingernail. Heat it up, apply cleaner and let it sit for 10~15 minutes. Remove a layer and repeat. Not looking forward to cleaning NB and avoiding damage to the pad...

The PWM's are covered with a thermal pad and it makes piss poor contact, maybe 75% total. Considering how well the board runs it doesn't seem to be a major point. Prepping for phase right now which prompted the removal in the first place (plus just a tad bit of curiousity why the sinks felt so cool, relatively speaking).

Anyway, just wanted to warn those thinking they may need to remove and regrease. Asus actually did a decent job and this particular heat pipe assy works pretty well...

Well, my NB at least was blazing hot under the stock orginal BIOS so I suspected the heat transfer was decent. Much cooler to the touch now though under 0304

lothar_wolf

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2008
You got a link to that site?

I managed to pry it off. There is some residue on the NB and SB. I will use articlean and rubbing alchol to get off.