I can't access my computer. (Need Pass)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I lent my system to a so called friend, and I received it back with a
password in-order to access data screen on the screen.

I don't know if he installed a 3rd party software or if this is a Dell
utility via BIOS.

I can't get access to floppy disk on boot or anything. I tried to remove
power inorder to clear CMOS password and it didn't work.
At least I know that it is not a Hard Drive password because even if I don't
have a hard drive installed it will not go to BIOS setup of boot to floppy
disk.

Please some one help because I would like to gain access to my machine
again.

<ElDiablo@hell.com> wrote in message
> I lent my system to a so called friend, and I received it back with a
> password in-order to access data screen on the screen.
>
> I don't know if he installed a 3rd party software or if this is a Dell
> utility via BIOS.
>
> I can't get access to floppy disk on boot or anything. I tried to remove
> power inorder to clear CMOS password and it didn't work.
> At least I know that it is not a Hard Drive password because even if I
don't
> have a hard drive installed it will not go to BIOS setup of boot to floppy
> disk.
>
> Please some one help because I would like to gain access to my machine
> again.

It's your lucky day! Your "friend" just bought a computer or a several
hundred dollar butt kicking.

Call Dell. Provide proof of ownership. They will provide a master password.

Couldn't be easier.

Tom

ElDiablo@hell.com wrote:

> I lent my system to a so called friend, and I received it back with a
> password in-order to access data screen on the screen.
>
> I don't know if he installed a 3rd party software or if this is a Dell
> utility via BIOS.
>
> I can't get access to floppy disk on boot or anything. I tried to remove
> power inorder to clear CMOS password and it didn't work.
> At least I know that it is not a Hard Drive password because even if I don't
> have a hard drive installed it will not go to BIOS setup of boot to floppy
> disk.

Very similar to what happens when one steals a protected machine, huh?

Have you asked your "friend" for the password?

Larry

what model? what service tag number?

<ElDiablo@hell.com> wrote in message
> I lent my system to a so called friend, and I received it back with a
> password in-order to access data screen on the screen.
>
> I don't know if he installed a 3rd party software or if this is a Dell
> utility via BIOS.
>
> I can't get access to floppy disk on boot or anything. I tried to remove
> power inorder to clear CMOS password and it didn't work.
> At least I know that it is not a Hard Drive password because even if I
don't
> have a hard drive installed it will not go to BIOS setup of boot to floppy
> disk.
>
> Please some one help because I would like to gain access to my machine
> again.

Prove how, I didn't originally buy this machine, I bought used with zero
documentation not even a restore CD if it comes with that. I have had no
problems with this machine for about 1 year and a half.
They will not have any of my records I don't think.
I bought via Ebay.

ElDiablo@hell.com wrote:

>Prove how, I didn't originally buy this machine, I bought used with zero
>documentation not even a restore CD if it comes with that. I have had no
>problems with this machine for about 1 year and a half.
>They will not have any of my records I don't think.
>I bought via Ebay.

You have just learned an object lesson of why, when you buy a
computer from a private seller on EBay, you make sure the seller
provides the factory disks and manuals, and arranges registration
of the transfer of ownership.

You may have saved a lot of money originally, but those savings
went south when your "friend" borrowed your computer, installed a
password and didn't tell you about it when he returned it. Now
your money is gone and so, effectively, is your laptop.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo address is burned before reading.

Inspirion 8100

Why would you need my Service Tag Number?

Kiss your computer goodbye.

Rocky

> Prove how, I didn't originally buy this machine, I bought used with zero
> documentation not even a restore CD if it comes with that. I have had no
> problems with this machine for about 1 year and a half.
> They will not have any of my records I don't think.
> I bought via Ebay.

if it is bios locked (the bios asking for a password, not windows) then the
service tag number would allow for the master password for that particular
unit to be determined.

> Inspirion 8100
>
> Why would you need my Service Tag Number?

so we can look it up to see if it stolen.

your friend changed the password huh? now why would a friend do that? and
if they did, why wouldn't they give you the password? i supposed they have
since died and taken the password to the grave as well. something smelly
about this tale of woe.

if this is all really true then you can take your new club/laptop and smack
your friend upside the head until they reveal the password. and while
you're at it, give yourself a good smacking too for having such worthless
friends.

<ElDiablo@hell.com> wrote in message
> Inspirion 8100
>
> Why would you need my Service Tag Number?

rs

Find detail on Jumpers on the MB. Open box. Remove the CMOS jumper. Wait 5
sec. Put CMOS jumper back on. Password gone.

If you buy unknown stuff just because its cheap, you gotta expect to get
what you pay for.

<ElDiablo@hell.com> wrote in message
> I lent my system to a so called friend, and I received it back with a
> password in-order to access data screen on the screen.
>
> I don't know if he installed a 3rd party software or if this is a Dell
> utility via BIOS.
>
> I can't get access to floppy disk on boot or anything. I tried to remove
> power inorder to clear CMOS password and it didn't work.
> At least I know that it is not a Hard Drive password because even if I
don't
> have a hard drive installed it will not go to BIOS setup of boot to floppy
> disk.
>
> Please some one help because I would like to gain access to my machine
> again.

this is the second suggestion like this... thought the op did not initially
provide the model he/she was talking about, it later came out that this
question was about an inspiron and not a dimension... the inspiron has no
jumpers. if the op posted his/her system tag number then the bios master
password could be determined...

"RS" <idontthinkso@mail.com> wrote in message
> Find detail on Jumpers on the MB. Open box. Remove the CMOS jumper. Wait 5
> sec. Put CMOS jumper back on. Password gone.
>
> If you buy unknown stuff just because its cheap, you gotta expect to get
> what you pay for.
>

> <ElDiablo@hell.com> wrote in message
> > I lent my system to a so called friend, and I received it back with a
> > password in-order to access data screen on the screen.
> >
> > I don't know if he installed a 3rd party software or if this is a Dell
> > utility via BIOS.
> >
> > I can't get access to floppy disk on boot or anything. I tried to
remove
> > power inorder to clear CMOS password and it didn't work.
> > At least I know that it is not a Hard Drive password because even if I
> don't
> > have a hard drive installed it will not go to BIOS setup of boot to
floppy
> > disk.
> >
> > Please some one help because I would like to gain access to my machine
> > again.

rs

So basically your jerky little brother could screw with your BIOS password
and you'd have to wander through the phone tree forest and listed to the
collected works of Kenny G on hold just to get your system running again?

RS wrote:

> So basically your jerky little brother could screw with your BIOS password
> and you'd have to wander through the phone tree forest and listed to the
> collected works of Kenny G on hold just to get your system running again?

Or, if you were smarter than your jerky little brother, you could password
protect the system and avoid the possibility.

Larry

"Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> RS wrote:
>>
>> So basically your jerky little brother could screw with your BIOS
>> password
>> and you'd have to wander through the phone tree forest and listed to the
>> collected works of Kenny G on hold just to get your system running again?
>
> Or, if you were smarter than your jerky little brother, you could password
> protect the system and avoid the possibility.
>
> Larry

"The dog ate my BIOS." :)

Hi,
Well I have the exact same problem and have been searching for answers. A friend of mine got a inspiron 8100 for payment that had been bought online via Trade me (NZ verison of Ebay) But it is password protected it wont allow you to access the BIOS. Three attempts and it shuts down.

I keep hearing about a master pass word but I haven't come across one.
When I finally got to speak to someone at Dell I got told there is no such thing, and I needed either to track down the original disks or track down the person who put the password on it.

So it seems we have a paper weight unless someone knows more about this master password?