Question I can't open ports / port forward, DMZ not working

Change you ip to hide the last part.

DMZ should work better than any port forwarding. It in effect forwards all ports.

Port 80 is surprising since that is the one that causes the most issues. If any port works it means the basic function is there.

I would suspect issues on the PC most times the firewall. The traffic maybe getting to the PC but the PC is not responding. It will do that for any port a program is not active on.

I would load wireshark on your machine and watch to see what packets you get in from the internet. Wireshark captuers before the firewall or any other filter so it should represent what you machine gets.

Nov 28, 2019
Actually 80 is timed-out. Yea, I know what DMZ is, but it doesn't work. I forgot to mention that windows firewall is 100% disabled. I tried testing with my phone, ports are "working" same as on PC, but on mobile data they are at least timed-out (instead of closed). I downloaded Wireshark, but I don't know how to use it and what to see.

Last edited:
wireshark is going to take some practice. Lots of garbage data. You want to run as little stuff on your pc as you can to avoid junk traffic. If you can force the scan from your phone so you do not have web traffic in the trace from requesting the scan.

What you should see in a bunch of SYN packets coming in from the internet ip with different ports.

You need to verify that data is getting to your pc and the dmz is actually working on the router. Since you get some ports it is either the router or the pc and you need to determine which. It is highly unlikely it is the router because that would mean it has a software bug.

So what happens if you run the port scanner do you see the scanner attempt to make contact with all the other ports.
Make sure you use the DMZ option to forward the ports. The port forwarding rules on routers are hard to get correct on some routers.

You have little option if you think it is the router. You could upgrade the firmware and hope it is just a bug otherwise you have to buy a new router. There are not a lot of other options when the equipment does not work.

I read it incorrectly. I thought you were testing 80. But you see no traffic for that port.

Can you remove the router hook to the modem or is this a router/modem combo unit.

This is very strange. It means the router is not passing the data to the pc. DMZ is almost impossible to do wrong since it is just setting a single ip address.

I would say it was a ISP problem but since you say you can get some ports to work that means it kinda works. Be sure that port 80 is going to the PC many times routers have management on port 80 even if it is disabled from the internet.

I am going to bet that is the router responding. If you were to run that scan with the wireshark running I bet your pc does not see those packets. Some routers allow SSH in addition to HTTPS to admin them.

Be nice if routers used a standard port forwarding but they don't they are all different. It almost has to be something strange with this configuration. All I can recommend is maybe reset the router and start again. Maybe there is a strange configuration. I would try DMZ first since it is simpler to do.