[SOLVED] I can't seem to format my 16TB HDD?

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
I bought 4x Western Digital Elements Desktop 16TB Hub Drives ( WDBWLG0160HBK-EESN ) I removed the HDDs from the hub and I've added them to my 4x HP Blade Servers (1 drive in each server). I went into the boot setup (F10 - Intelligent Provisioning) and configured them as a RAID 0. I then booted into my Linux Desktop 20.04.3 LTS environment and proceeded to the Disk Utility app to add the drive. I can see the 16TB drives are there but I can't do anything with them.

It shows 16TB drive for each of them, with 16TB free unallocated space but when I try to add a partition, I get the following error:
Error creating partition on /dev/sdk: Failed to read partition table on device '/dev/sdk' (Invalid argument during seek for read on /dev/sdk) (udisks-error-quark, 0)

Any ideas why this might be happening?
It's definitely not a faulty drive as I've got 4 of them and all 4 are displaying the same error.

Last edited:

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
Did you finish the RAID 0 configuration?

That should show as a single 64TB volume.

But I gotta ask.,...what will this be used for?

Sorry I forgot to say, I've spread them across 4 different blade servers, so only 1 in each server. They show up as full 16TB drives in each server and the RAID 0 did complete with no errors.

I want to put some Chia plots on them, I got the drives at a decent price and since I've already got the servers, there's no other cost but the drives.

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
And you can't do a RAID 0 across multiple servers.
How would they be connected?

Absolutely not going to work, no matter what magic dust you sprinkle on it.

No, I wasn't trying to RAID across multiple servers... each server has it's own pool of drives. They've all got 14TB drives in them which are all full... so I got 4x 16TB drives and decided to put 1 in each server but had to configure a new array with RAID 0 for each of them.

Tomorrow, I'll remove them and install all 4 into a single server and then RAID 0 all 4 drives together. That should solve the issue. Thanks for the fast response :)

ajaz1986

Reputable
Oct 30, 2018
On older Raid controllers, as single drive would typically be set as a raid1 (mirrored) and typically not have the mirror drive installed. Most newer raid controllers have a single driveor pass-thru option to leave the drive out of a raid array.

Interesting you say this, I installed a single 10Tb drive few months back and that worked fine - I just can’t remember how I configured the array options. I’ll log into the servers tomorrow and check it out. For now, I’ve put 2x16TB drives in one server and 2 in another…. Will login tonight and go through the configs

TRENDING THREADS