[SOLVED] I cant upgrade to windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

FussyPotato

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
I have a windows 7 and i decided to finally upgrade to windows 10. I used the windows installation media as i have seen online (here, here and, several other links). I then used it, it started to download. After "Processing" to 100% it said , "your windows is not activated. Please enter your product key" and told me to insert. The problem is my windows 7 professional is ACTIVATED. it says my windows is activated. I tried again but still the same error came. So I searched for my product key and typed it in . But IT SAID my Key was incorrect and said to insert other key. What should i do to upgrade to windows 10 except buying the windows 10 key?

Solution
To upgrade your windows 7 license to 10, you will need to do a fresh format, with Windows 10, and enter your Win 7 license key, when it asks for one. So be sure to back up anything you want to keep, before you start.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Did you make an installer on USB or just used media creation tool to update PC? I often suggest people make the USB using tool instead as if it fails you don't have to download it all again.

It is strange that if PC is activated in win 7 it won't stay that same way in win 10. All that happens is the win 7 key is made into a win 10 key as well.

Due to MS not officially supporting the upgrade process, it is difficult to get any help from them about updating win 7 now.

just skip the key enter window

what key enter window do you get on the update process? it should get that info from the current install. Start install with users etc already in place.

Reactions: FussyPotato

FussyPotato

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
Did you make an installer on USB or just used media creation tool to update PC? I often suggest people make the USB using tool instead as if it fails you don't have to download it all again.

It is strange that if PC is activated in win 7 it won't stay that same way in win 10. All that happens is the win 7 key is made into a win 10 key as well.

Due to MS not officially supporting the upgrade process, it is difficult to get any help from them about updating win 7 now.

what key enter window do you get on the update process? it should get that info from the current install. Start install with users etc already in place.
I did start the install directly from the media creation tool as I thought it would be over as it should've been a one time thing. As for the window, it says that my windows is not activated (even though it is) and I launched from the user which said the windows was activated. It asks me the product key because it failed to get it on its own as my windows was not activated. And pls tell me what you mean by " start install with users in place"?
Thanks for the response :)

FussyPotato

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019
I did start the install directly from the media creation tool as I thought it would be over as it should've been a one time thing. As for the window, it says that my windows is not activated (even though it is) and I launched from the user which said the windows was activated. It asks me the product key because it failed to get it on its own as my windows was not activated. And pls tell me what you mean by " start install with users in place"?
Thanks for the response :)

FussyPotato

Commendable
Oct 19, 2019

Colif

Win 11 Master
its 5 years since I updated from win 7 to 10, so details aren't exactly clear. But I thought that if you run the upgrade process from within windows it didn't ask for licence info as it should already be there.

Obviously I am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.