Question I get Static when I touch something connected to my PC

jujaswe

Distinguished
May 3, 2013
33
0
18,530
0
Is it normal to get static electricity from just touching certain peripherals and cables? I built this PC earlier this year. Sometimes I accidentally touch the bottom of my condenser mic and I felt the electricity shock. I also have a USB cable for when I connect my phone or gamepad into the PC and when I touch the micro USB side, I feel the shock too.

Both of those things are directly connected to the motherboard ports.

Should I check for something in my computer case or is this something that just happens?
 

jay32267

Champion
Is it normal to get static electricity from just touching certain peripherals and cables? I built this PC earlier this year. Sometimes I accidentally touch the bottom of my condenser mic and I felt the electricity shock. I also have a USB cable for when I connect my phone or gamepad into the PC and when I touch the micro USB side, I feel the shock too.

Both of those things are directly connected to the motherboard ports.

Should I check for something in my computer case or is this something that just happens?
I think there's a good chance you don't have it connected to a good ground.
Most of the time....when this happens....it's the outlet that's the problem....although it could also be the power cord.
 

MJS WARLORD

Honorable
Have you had this problem since building the rig , regardless of answer check all the wiring on your rig. depending on how warm air travels around your rig some wires can move. Check the terminal wires screws on the pc kettle plug to see if they have worked loose. Also get a main plug checker , they have a set of lights on them and depending on the combination of lit/unlit lights you get it will tell you if you have a problem with the mains plug you are using.

What type of surface is your set up on , does the carpet have nylon in it , do you shuffle about in the chair as you play , this can generate static charge in your body and when you touch parts of your set up you are earthing your body to your set up to get rid of the static charge.

Tip.... i use to get static kicks so i put my chair on some strips of wooed flooring.
 

jujaswe

Distinguished
May 3, 2013
33
0
18,530
0
Have you had this problem since building the rig , regardless of answer check all the wiring on your rig. depending on how warm air travels around your rig some wires can move. Check the terminal wires screws on the pc kettle plug to see if they have worked loose. Also get a main plug checker , they have a set of lights on them and depending on the combination of lit/unlit lights you get it will tell you if you have a problem with the mains plug you are using.

What type of surface is your set up on , does the carpet have nylon in it , do you shuffle about in the chair as you play , this can generate static charge in your body and when you touch parts of your set up you are earthing your body to your set up to get rid of the static charge.

Tip.... i use to get static kicks so i put my chair on some strips of wooed flooring.
I checked the wires inside my case and everything seems to be fine. My PC is plugged into a UPS which is plugged into an AVR which goes into the main socket. Could this be a possible cause?

My PC sits on top of my wooden table. Come to think of it, I do move around a lot in my chair when I'm working or playing.

So far I haven't felt any shock when touching any of the mentioned peripherals and cables.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY