[SOLVED] I have a decently beefy PC, but GTAV still only runs around 30fps. Any suggestions?

Feb 19, 2020
I have a decently strong PC:
Intel i5 8400 @ 2.80 GHz
RTX 2060
16 GB RAM @ 3900 MHz
M.2 SSD 265gb (this is where GTAV is installed)

I generally run around mid 20s - 30 fps with moderately high settings.
If I turn off VSync, I can get up to mid 40s, but I feel like with these specs, 60fps at 1080p shouldn't be much of a problem.
Any suggestions or theories on what might be happening?

Solution
Windows game bar does that to usage in userbench each gpu test launches as a game, and game bar records it in a dvr using CPU, it's just microsoft junk that's part of the xbox app you can't remove.. at 30 FPS, You're also probably using the iGPU to render and not the 2060, make sure to setup nvidia control panel to use the 2060 and set high performance and so on as you prefer. also make sure you have the latest drivers. and if you want to use all the bells and whistles like shadowplay you'll need GFE, and your manufacturer software..
Feb 19, 2020
monitor connect to the gpu and not the motherboard?

cpu/gpu temp and usage during the game?

make and model of the psu?
My monitor is directly connected to my GPU through HDMI

My GPU stays around 65C and at about 15% load. CPU stays around 50% load and around 40C.

My power supply shouldn't be the issue. It is a Corsair GS800

Feb 19, 2020
It shouldn't be an issue, but you never know. How old is it?

When did you build this PC? Did you reuse old parts? Was this a fresh install of Windows?
I built this PC in October-November of 2019. These are all new parts. I did reinstall windows, but later bought a new license because it didn't recognize my new MOBO and then that was a completely new install.

Feb 19, 2020
Windows game bar does that to usage in userbench each gpu test launches as a game, and game bar records it in a dvr using CPU, it's just microsoft junk that's part of the xbox app you can't remove.. at 30 FPS, You're also probably using the iGPU to render and not the 2060, make sure to setup nvidia control panel to use the 2060 and set high performance and so on as you prefer. also make sure you have the latest drivers. and if you want to use all the bells and whistles like shadowplay you'll need GFE, and your manufacturer software..

Solution
Feb 19, 2020
Sounds good thank you. I haven't been to Nvidia control panel in a bit but I'll head over there. I've set up GeForce Experience and everything else and have good drivers so I think you might be on to something with the control panel. Thanks!