[SOLVED] I have a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S1, I'm looking to upgrade the GPU. Can I use a gtx1650 or rx560? Any recommendations?

shadowsaints

Honorable
May 11, 2014
Hey! I have a i7 3770k with a GA-H61M-S1 motherboard, the thing is, I have a gtx 750ti, so a lot of modern games dont run as well. I've been getting by with setting the games at 720p30fps but I've got some money now and since my country's economy is getting even more unstable I thought I should upgrade before the money gets devalued.
Anyways, I was searching through my country's version of ebay and I saw that the prices of an used 750ti is like 40ish bucks away from an used rx560, and like a 100 bucks away from a 1650. The thing is, I'm not sure if they will run on my old motherboard.
Will they? Also, what are some recommendations on cheap GPUs I could look for? (With no power connections if possible) Since I kinda found the whole rx560 deal by accident, I could look
For reference, in my country an used 750ti is around 150ish, an used rx560 190ish, and a 1650, 250ish.
A gtx960 is about 250ish too, so prices arent that logical.

Anyways, thanks!

Solution
Both "should" work.

Your motherboard should be able to provide at least 75 watts to the card through the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. The GTX 750 Ti is around a 60W card whereas the GTX 1650 and RX 560 are around 75W. So theoretically, if components on your PSU or board have degraded they might not be able to handle the small amount to extra power draw.

I believe both of those are your best options for upgrading without a power supply connector. Neither are a big upgrade. Though each a a small margin better, the GTX 1650's margin is considerably better compared to the RX 560.

You didn't list you power supply. With that information it might be easier to help.

Anonymiter

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
Both "should" work.

Your motherboard should be able to provide at least 75 watts to the card through the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. The GTX 750 Ti is around a 60W card whereas the GTX 1650 and RX 560 are around 75W. So theoretically, if components on your PSU or board have degraded they might not be able to handle the small amount to extra power draw.

I believe both of those are your best options for upgrading without a power supply connector. Neither are a big upgrade. Though each a a small margin better, the GTX 1650's margin is considerably better compared to the RX 560.

You didn't list you power supply. With that information it might be easier to help.

Solution

shadowsaints

Honorable
May 11, 2014
Both "should" work.

Oh perfect, seems I was in the right track! I was not really bothered by the PSU but more by the ancient motherboard and it having some issues with newer cards, but seems I was just worried. Thanks, man

Anonymiter

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
A rx570 would still work if i give power to it, yeah?
The CPU would be plenty good, but it depends on whether or not the power supply can handle the increased load. The RX 570 is is a pretty big bump to around 200W or more at peak. The recommended minimum PSU is a 450W. Paired with the 3770k I'd say you might squeak by with a 400W if it was really efficient, but it would probably be running at full load pretty often. A 500W to 550W would be recommended to leave some headroom.

shadowsaints

Honorable
May 11, 2014
The CPU would be plenty good, but it depends on whether or not the power supply can handle the increased load. The RX 570 is is a pretty big bump to around 200W or more at peak. The recommended minimum PSU is a 450W. Paired with the 3770k I'd say you might squeak by with a 400W if it was really efficient, but it would probably be running at full load pretty often. A 500W to 550W would be recommended to leave some headroom.
Perfect! I have a 500w PSU so I guess I'll get a RX 570!

Reactions: Anonymiter