Question I have a psu with only an 8 pin output, how can I connect it to a 6 pin GPU?!?!?

Feb 11, 2021
I have done a recent build and I am really annoyingly stuck at the last hurdle.

the PSU I have is a 400W Seasonic model and I have a 6 pin rx560 4GB. After trying to order 8 pin female to 6 pin male connectors off of amazon and having ordered from 2 different listings they only ever turn up with 6 pin female to 8 pin male, despite what the listing may have said. I have managed to botch it by plugging the 8 pins from the PSU into the 6 pin female on the adaptor by essentially having 2 pins sort of 'hanging off the edge' and I was wondering if it would be safe to plug the 6 pin male end of that extension cable into the GPU or do I run the risk of blowing the whole thing up?

would really appreciate any feedback and photos can be provided.

I have done a recent build and I am really annoyingly stuck at the last hurdle.

the PSU I have is a 400W Seasonic model and I have a 6 pin rx560 4GB. After trying to order 8 pin female to 6 pin male connectors off of amazon and having ordered from 2 different listings they only ever turn up with 6 pin female to 8 pin male, despite what the listing may have said. I have managed to botch it by plugging the 8 pins from the PSU into the 6 pin female on the adaptor by essentially having 2 pins sort of 'hanging off the edge' and I was wondering if it would be safe to plug the 6 pin male end of that extension cable into the GPU or do I run the risk of blowing the whole thing up?

would really appreciate any feedback and photos can be provided.
Photos please

Feb 11, 2021
Photos please

so in the one image, the white male connector is coming from the PSU and going into the extension cable that I got off of amazon that can be seen as the black connector attached to it

Then in the other image (I hope it's clear), the other end of the connector could be fitted into the GPU and I'm just wondering if there's any hope of that working??

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvx811bmgabfc81/proposed new connection.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuvnqhu73g8w3ns/connection - 8 to 6.jpg?dl=0

also please excuse my somewhat horrific cable management in the case, I've overall had a few issues with the length of cables with the PSU so cable management kind of went out the window on this particular build!

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021
That looks like its wired OK to me,

Bizarre that you 400w psu has a 8 Pin that's not splittable though.

What model is it exactly??

yeah right its peculiar and its an old seasonic but fingers crossed I dont blow the poor thing up

I hadnt booted the PC before now and I tried to boot it up and it just powers on and then off immediately and has a high pitched whine coming from the PSU, after doing some reading Ive discovered it may be a dry capacitor?

Fortunately there was no sparking or popping nor smoking so I dont think any of my components are damaged, I just think that I have an old and sadly dead power supply that I ordered off of ebay