Question I have literally changed every part and motherboard is still not booting

Feb 6, 2021
When I try to boot up my motherboard the cpu fan spins for a bit then it just turns off. It is a biostar btc 250 pro. It happened right after a bios update so I thought thats it for sure, even tried reprogramming the bios chip before I replaced the motherboard. So new motherboard comes in, I swap all the parts and bam, same thing. Cpu fan spins, then turns off. The MB is a asrock H110. Tried a diff PSU, different Ram and finally got a new CPU. What else is there? Basically replaced every part and it is still being a little -----.
Any help would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of is that I damaged both motherboards when installing new part. No gpus are connected.

MOD EDIT: Watch the language, family friendly forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
You absolutely didn't, and can't, reprogram "the BIOS chip" without specialized, expensive hardware to do it with. You might have "updated" the BIOS, but reprogramming is an entirely different thing. So, we'll call it what it actually was, which is updating the BIOS. It didn't work, so it wasn't the problem apparently.

Right off the bat I'll tell you that it's going to be impossible to try and figure out what is going on without a FULL and EXACT listing of every part model tried both before and after the change of motherboard. Please list the FULL hardware specifications for the original system hardware and the final system hardware, as well as the EXACT power supply model number, motherboard BIOS version (If known. Look at the box, often it's listed there.) and exactly what you have done or not done in trying to find the problem.

It's my experience that about 75% of people who come here and claim they've "tried everything" have actually tried one or two things including swapping out a few pieces of hardware but haven't actually done ANYTHING that NEEDS to be done in order to find the problem.

I'd start by SERIOUSLY using the following two links. Don't just skim and then tell yourself "well, I've already done all that". Actually READ them, entirely, and then use them to eliminate potential problems until what you are left with, however unlikely, must be what is wrong.

Feb 6, 2021
Well I actually took the BIOS chip out (it was a removable one on the BIOSTAR mb), connected it to a CH341A usb reprogrammer, wiped whatever is on there and wrote the BIOS file on. Either way it didn't work. I read through the posts and I have installed one of the standoffs wrong, which could have caused a short. I just took that standoff out, but it did not change anything. If I caused a short, is the mb ruined? Next is I will inspect pins on CPU and motherboard socket. Besides that, I already did all the other things that were mentioned.

Yes, if you shorted both motherboards because a standoff was in the wrong place, then both motherboards AND some of the other hardware that was CONNECTED to the motherboard, could POTENTIALLY have been damaged. Whether it was or not, depends on many factors including which standoff, the design of the board, too many things to ever say "this was the problem, or this is what probably happened" in regard to any particular "oops" from a misplaced standoff.

Suffice to say, yes, problems.

Even the CPU could be ruined by a misplaced standoff, so you COULD potentially be looking at a whole new CPU and motherboard, maybe even memory, however, most modern power supplies and motherboards are designed to be sacrificial, so shorts tends to often end at the sacrificial device, meaning it might just be the board OR you might have triggered some protections that require you to unplug the PSU from the wall, switch it off, then plug it all back in and turn it back on.

I'd certainly check the CPU for bent pins though. At this point, if you installed two boards with a standoff in the wrong place, just about any kind of novice mistake might be on the table unfortunately.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
When I try to boot up my motherboard the cpu fan spins for a bit then it just turns off. It is a biostar btc 250 pro. It happened right after a bios update so I thought thats it for sure, even tried reprogramming the bios chip before I replaced the motherboard. So new motherboard comes in, I swap all the parts and bam, same thing. Cpu fan spins, then turns off. The MB is a asrock H110. Tried a diff PSU, different Ram and finally got a new CPU. What else is there? Basically replaced every part and it is still being a little -----.
Any help would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of is that I damaged both motherboards when installing new part. No gpus are connected.

MOD EDIT: Watch the language, family friendly forum.
You need to list ALL the parts your working with.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Just as a future reference virtually all motherboards today (and for the last 30 years) have the ability to flash their own Bios without any auxiliary hardware. Manually flashing a chip with a programmer is not only unnecessary but has a high chance of being your issue in the first place if the programmer/program is incompatible with the board/chip. Most field replaceable chips are not there for your convenience or use, but rather for the ability to factory refurb the board in the event that it is needed or mail out a preprogrammed new chip.