Question I have never set up a Windows network successfully

David_652

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2017
I have tried it so many times over the years. The furthest I got was to get two PCs to see each other and work together over a home network. But even then, the network did not persist. If I shutdown or rebooted either or both PCs, they couldn't see or connect to each other anymore.

Things are worse now. I have a Windows 10 and 11 PC connected to the router connected to my internet device. I can get them to see each other. But I can't open the Windows 11 PC from Windows 10 at all. I can't open a shared folder on the Windows 10 PC from the Windows 11 PC at all.

I believe the only things unique to my setup are using hard configurator and using GPEdit to stop Windows updates and to keep the Windows 10 PC at a version prior to AI.exe showing up on the scene. Don't assume these are issues though. They may not be.

Is there a good comprehensive resource for Windows networking to ensure success? Are there tools that automate a lot of this so I can avoid issues?

I have tried instructions that take me through the process, including enabling network discovery and file sharing, etc., opening Windows Defender for file sharing, and having the same WORKGROUP. I set up folder sharing, created the same user accounts in both PCs; the original Microsoft accounts on both were the same already. I put .bat files in the startup folders to reset the network on bootup to enable persistence.

I #$%@&*! around with it for four hours today and didn't solve these issues. Can't find the network path. You don't have permission to access that resource. Blah, blah, blah. Is there a set of instructions that covers everything and sets it up right the first time?

Windows 11 is 23H2. Windows 10 is 22H2. I have reset everything back to normal. I'm not trying it again this weekend. But I would love to have some resources that would enable it to just work.

I have tried it so many times over the years. The furthest I got was to get two PCs to see each other and work together over a home network. But even then, the network did not persist. If I shutdown or rebooted either or both PCs, they couldn't see or connect to each other anymore.

Things are worse now. I have a Windows 10 and 11 PC connected to the router connected to my internet device. I can get them to see each other. But I can't open the Windows 11 PC from Windows 10 at all. I can't open a shared folder on the Windows 10 PC from the Windows 11 PC at all.

I believe the only things unique to my setup are using hard configurator and using GPEdit to stop Windows updates and to keep the Windows 10 PC at a version prior to AI.exe showing up on the scene. Don't assume these are issues though. They may not be.

Is there a good comprehensive resource for Windows networking to ensure success? Are there tools that automate a lot of this so I can avoid issues?

I have tried instructions that take me through the process, including enabling network discovery and file sharing, etc., opening Windows Defender for file sharing, and having the same WORKGROUP. I set up folder sharing, created the same user accounts in both PCs; the original Microsoft accounts on both were the same already. I put .bat files in the startup folders to reset the network on bootup to enable persistence.

I #$%@&*! around with it for four hours today and didn't solve these issues. Can't find the network path. You don't have permission to access that resource. Blah, blah, blah. Is there a set of instructions that covers everything and sets it up right the first time?

Windows 11 is 23H2. Windows 10 is 22H2. I have reset everything back to normal. I'm not trying it again this weekend. But I would love to have some resources that would enable it to just work.
I have my 2 computers setup where I create a desktop shortcut that opens windows explorer and accesses the other computer's C: drive. The shortcut looks like this for my other computer named TV:

C:\Windows\explorer.exe \\TV\c\

There has to be a space after the explorer.exe command. You can add a folder name after the drive letter. The only thing I noticed is that it helps if you enter the computer name all in capital letters.