[SOLVED] I have ping issues on Roblox ?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
My ping on Roblox is usually around 50-100ms, which is completely usable, but I generally have spikes up to 600+ ms regularly, the only way I can currently fix it is by using a 5G hotspot, but that is a band-aid solution since I will eventually run out of hotspot data. I know there was another thread talking about this, but the suggestion was to just use ethernet. I do not have the option to use ethernet, and my router is in the same room as my PC so I'm not sure what the problem is. Sometimes, I will even get completely disconnected, and it is very frustrating.
specs:
ryzen 7 7700x
32GB DDR5
Asus b650 tuf wifi
rx 6800
seasonic focus GX 850W 80+ gold
samsung 980 pro 2TB

boju

Titan
Ambassador
How high up is the router and is your PC ranged between the antennas or on the side? For best transmission have router at least mid level on a desk or something (not on the floor) or perhaps even higher if cables allow. Between the antennas i mean, if router was on one side of the room your PC should be opposite side of the room so wireless transmission is between the antennas \ / not siding to it \ / <-- PC. That's if it has two antennas.

Why can't you use ethernet? Doesn't router have multiple rj45 ports you could use for a switch?

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
How high up is the router and is your PC ranged between the antennas or on the side? For best transmission have router at least mid level on a desk or something (not on the floor) or perhaps even higher if cables allow. Between the antennas i mean, if router was on one side of the room your PC should be opposite side of the room so wireless transmission is between the antennas \ / not siding to it \ / <-- PC. That's if it has two antennas.

Why can't you use ethernet? Doesn't router have multiple rj45 ports you could use for a switch?
I can’t use Ethernet because the Ethernet cable going in the router is nowhere near long enough to move my router to a point where I could run another Ethernet cable to my pc. (My router only has 2 ports) also, the fact that I live with my parents and can’t just run Ethernet through the walls doesn’t help. (Otherwise I would)

USAFRet

Titan
I can’t use Ethernet because the Ethernet cable going in the router is nowhere near long enough to move my router to a point where I could run another Ethernet cable to my pc. (My router only has 2 ports) also, the fact that I live with my parents and can’t just run Ethernet through the walls doesn’t help. (Otherwise I would)
"in the same room"

$15 4 port switch, 50 foot Cat5e, done.

Or, you could continue to suffer with something WiFi.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
"in the same room"

$15 4 port switch, 50 foot Cat5e, done.

Or, you could continue to suffer with something WiFi.
The problem is my parents, they don't like the idea of me messing with the router at all, not to mention that they don't want a cable stretching across the room. (the router is in one corner of the room and the pc is in the opposite corner)

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
From what I understand his issue is the wifi connection going across the room so vpn is not going to fix that. Cloudflare warp is very hit and miss from the little I played with it, I never could find a way to force a datacenter location like you can in other vpn providers.
I know CloudFlare Warp's limitation, it won't let you choose server location at all. So I only use it when absolutely necessarily, just a recommendation for OP to see if it has any chance fixing the problem. Didn't expect it will do magical things for every situation.

High ping can happen anywhere between client and server.

OP can try tracert command or Visual Traceroute https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=visual+traceroute+
to troubleshoot.

Or as suggested he can buy ethernet cable and watch some videos on youtube and learn how to hide it. :)

Last edited:

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I know CloudFlare Warp's limitation, it won't let you choose server location at all. So I only use it when absolutely necessarily, just a recommendation for OP to see if it has any chance fixing the problem. Didn't expect it will do magical things for every situation.

High ping can happen anywhere between client and server.

OP can try tracert command or Visual Traceroute https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=visual+traceroute+
to troubleshoot.

Or as suggested he can buy ethernet cable and watch some videos on youtube and learn how to hide it. :)
I can't use visual traceroute, I get a fatal application error, and it says to check my internet connection, even though i have internet.
edit: never mind using it with cloudflare warp seemed to fix it.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I do have an older router that is no longer in use. My question is, if I set up the second router and connect it via ethernet to my pc, would that improve ping or would it make it worse due to the extra hop from the second router?

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I'm still wondering why you cannot connect via Cat5e, to the router in the same room.
Issue #1: the Ethernet cable connecting the router to the dish is not long enough to move the router closer to my pc.(Our internet is not provided by satellite, but it’s more like fixed cell service where we have a receiver pointed to a cell tower maybe a mile away.) issue #2: there’s the whole fact that I have already brought up this idea to my parents, and they said no. I am wondering how I would hide the cable if I were able to do it.

USAFRet

Titan
Issue #1: the Ethernet cable connecting the router to the dish is not long enough to move the router closer to my pc.(Our internet is not provided by satellite, but it’s more like fixed cell service where we have a receiver pointed to a cell tower maybe a mile away.) issue #2: there’s the whole fact that I have already brought up this idea to my parents, and they said no. I am wondering how I would hide the cable if I were able to do it.
Done properly, a color coordinated ethernet cable is nearly invisible.

I would at least string a cable directly over the floor purely for testing, after you get the results you can determine if it is even worth the trouble to somehow hide a ethernet cable.

The new information you added has made things even harder. You now have 2 wireless radio connection in the path. You have wifi between you and the router. When you use them in the same room it has less issues with signals levels and should mostly work. Wifi is very unpredictable which is why you want to test with ethernet. If the problem goes away it was the wifi.

The more troubling issue is your internet is delivered by cellular or some other wireless technology. These connecting are also subject to latency spikes. In this case it could be interference but much more likely it is because you are sharing the total bandwidth on the tower with many other people.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Because you mentioned it only had 2 ports.
I thought they were both already used.

If one is free, then no switch needed.
Nope. I suppose I should’ve said that. My family uses Ethernet for exactly zero devices. Unfortunately, my parents don’t want to spend the several thousand dollars to run Ethernet through the walls. Is it difficult to run Ethernet through the walls?