[SOLVED] I have ping issues on Roblox ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
My ping on Roblox is usually around 50-100ms, which is completely usable, but I generally have spikes up to 600+ ms regularly, the only way I can currently fix it is by using a 5G hotspot, but that is a band-aid solution since I will eventually run out of hotspot data. I know there was another thread talking about this, but the suggestion was to just use ethernet. I do not have the option to use ethernet, and my router is in the same room as my PC so I'm not sure what the problem is. Sometimes, I will even get completely disconnected, and it is very frustrating.
specs:
ryzen 7 7700x
32GB DDR5
Asus b650 tuf wifi
rx 6800
seasonic focus GX 850W 80+ gold
samsung 980 pro 2TB

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
It is getting more and more likely the problem is going to be the wireless connection that is over the dish between your house and the ISP.

You said your wifi antenna sit on top of your pc. This means you have the very best form of wifi nic you can get. Being able to extend the antenna away from the back of your computer where lots of metal blocks things can greatly improve wifi. When you sit in the same room as the router and you have a nic like that it should have few issues. Wifi though is strange and can get interferenceI from may things. I would still try a temporary ethernet cable maybe you get lucky.

If it really is in the connection between your house and the ISP you have few options. The ISP would have to fix something, maybe the dish is slightly out of alignment
Another question: would getting a better internet plan with higher upload and/or download speeds help ping?

In general no. A few things cause larger ping times. The most common and normal is purely distance related. This is a fractional speed of light thing. No matter how much bandwidth you have the signal takes time to travel distance. The other is if data is damaged and need to be resent. This takes time and you will see increased ping times if that particular ping packet happens to be damaged. Wireless is the only system that retransmits data at the network level things like fiber and cable systems do not so you might see data loss but no latency spikes.

Now there is a narrow example of where increasing bandwidth can reduce latency spikes. If someone in your house is using lots of bandwidth and hits the limit for what you buy the ISP will to a small extent let you exceed the bandwidth and hold data in buffers rather than discard it. This will also cause latency spikes. It really depends on what the other application is doing. Things like steam downloads will use 100% of the bandwidth and if you buy more it will just use 100% of that new bandwidth. This is only partially a technical issue. You can for example set limit in steam so it will not exceed your bandwidth.

Now I suspect in your case the data is either being damaged by other customers of the ISP or maybe usage of you and all your neighbors combines is exceeding the ISP bandwidth on their tower. You can't really do much about either of those cases. Wireless internet is not really the best option for gaming but most people that are using wireless internet do not have the option to get some kind of fiber or cables connection.

Reactions: Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Yes.

If using wireless then any wired network adapter should be disabled. And vice versa.

Another thing to try is to disable IPv6 on the network adapters.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results with no need to retype everything.
1 <1 ms 1 ms <1 ms 192.168.86.1
2 2 ms 2 ms 3 ms 192.168.10.1
3 20 ms 19 ms 21 ms 10.26.1.1
4 21 ms 39 ms 45 ms 10.10.155.1
5 14 ms 12 ms 22 ms 10.10.113.1
6 20 ms 20 ms 19 ms te0-2-1-4.rcr51.oma01.atlas.cogentco.com [38.104.212.13]
7 35 ms 41 ms 31 ms be3097.ccr22.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.40.157]
8 44 ms 25 ms 29 ms arelion.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.11.46]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 28 ms * * dls-bb2-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.139.189]
11 49 ms 41 ms 43 ms dls-b24-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.139.131]
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 97 ms 100 ms 82 ms lax-b22-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.118.247]
14 * 61 ms * roblox-ic-342577.ip.twelve99-cust.net [62.115.172.29]
15 * * * Request timed out.
16 * * * Request timed out.
17 * * * Request timed out.
18 * * * Request timed out.
19 * * * Request timed out.
20 * * * Request timed out.
21 * * * Request timed out.
22 * * * Request timed out.
23 * * * Request timed out.
24 * * * Request timed out.
25 * * * Request timed out.
26 * * * Request timed out.
27 * * * Request timed out.
28 * * * Request timed out.
29 * * * Request timed out.
30 * * * Request timed out.
tracert result
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-L48L6VL
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : lan

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.co.comcast.net
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek Gaming 2.5GbE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C8-7F-54-56-6B-AD
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 9:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2E-3B-70-48-F8-2C

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AE-3B-70-48-F8-2C
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek 8852BE Wireless LAN WiFi 6 PCI-E NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-3B-70-48-F8-2C
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : fd54:64e:a855:4646:6507:d61b:e26a:9999(Preferred)
Temporary IPv6 Address. . . . . . : fd54:64e:a855:4646:6d6d:ad00:db2f:d327(Preferred)
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::94b0:5c32:d819:df1f%6(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.182(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, March 4, 2024 8:08:25 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, March 6, 2024 6:16:40 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 103562096
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-2C-4C-5B-D6-C8-7F-54-56-6B-AD
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.86.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled
ipconfig all result

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Have you searched if wifi is the only option in your area?

What do your parents do with the internet?
We had starlink for a little bit, and that worked great, the problem was that we (my parents) didn’t read our other isp’s contract, and we discovered that we would’ve had to pay $1800 to pay off the contract. My parents mainly stream YouTube tv, and watch Netflix.

Ralston18

Titan
1) Referencing your PM to me ....

Take a screenshot of the results and post the image via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Use the green "+ New post" icon in the upper left corner of the imgur website page. Then post the link here.

2) From "ipconfig":

You are using a wireless network configuration via a router (gateway) using IP address 192.168.86.1

(Just to confirm: What is the make and model of your home router?)

The router (at the time that "ipconfig" was run) is assigning your PC the DHCP IP address of 192.168.86.182

Subnet mask being the expected 255.255.255.0.

The lease time (which should not make much of a difference ) is 22 hours or so. Not sure how that came to be but the allowed time is not what I would expect. Depends on the router's options for the alloted time. I recommend that the lease time be set to max per the router's available configurations.

3) IPv6 is enabled.

The DNS gateway (router) = 192.168.86.1.

Try using Google DNS instead: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

4) I will defer to others (e.g., @bill001g regarding the first 5 (five) hops shown in Post #53). Especially 1 and 2. Something seems amiss to me.

5) Who is the current ISP?

6) Typical home network:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port] ----> [LAN Port] Office Wifi Access Point ~~~~> Wireless network devices

With other Router LAN ports -----> Wired network devices

Does the above line diagram represent your home network? Feel free to edit and correct.

Include make and model information for modem and router.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
1) Referencing your PM to me ....

Take a screenshot of the results and post the image via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Use the green "+ New post" icon in the upper left corner of the imgur website page. Then post the link here.

2) From "ipconfig":

You are using a wireless network configuration via a router (gateway) using IP address 192.168.86.1

(Just to confirm: What is the make and model of your home router?)

The router (at the time that "ipconfig" was run) is assigning your PC the DHCP IP address of 192.168.86.182

Subnet mask being the expected 255.255.255.0.

The lease time (which should not make much of a difference ) is 22 hours or so. Not sure how that came to be but the allowed time is not what I would expect. Depends on the router's options for the alloted time. I recommend that the lease time be set to max per the router's available configurations.

3) IPv6 is enabled.

The DNS gateway (router) = 192.168.86.1.

Try using Google DNS instead: 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

4) I will defer to others (e.g., @bill001g regarding the first 5 (five) hops shown in Post #53). Especially 1 and 2. Something seems amiss to me.

6) Typical home network:

ISP === (coax, DSL, fiber) ===> Modem ---->[WAN Port] Router [LAN Port] ----> [LAN Port] Office Wifi Access Point ~~~~> Wireless network devices

Does the above line diagram represent your home network? Feel free to edit and correct.

Include make and model information for modem and router.
Sorry, I didn’t see your post until now. Push notifications have been buggy on my phone. I have to go to bed, but I’ll reply back tomorrow.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Western Iowa wireless. I live in a rural area and don't have many options for internet.
I'm not sure how our internet connection is actually being provided to the house. I know it's not coax, because I know don't think coax is fast enough to provide 50 megabit down, I know it's not fiber because it's a rural area, and if I had fiber I probably wouldn't be having this issue in the first place. Our router is some kind of google mesh router that we set up when we had a mesh network. I know we don't have a separate modem.
I will defer to others (e.g., @bill001g regarding the first 5 (five) hops shown in Post #53). Especially 1 and 2. Something seems amiss to me.
what exactly seems amiss to you? I know nothing about it, and I could be way off base, but I feel like the large block of request time outs is more concerning.
I'm not sure if my google mesh router has those options, and I can't check because of the whole fact that it's under my mom's google account which I don't have access to, and like I said, she doesn't like the idea of me messing with the router. What does this have to do with anything? (I don't mean to sound rude, I'm genuinely curious).

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
How goes streaming shows, does it buffer often?
Yes, it does, when we are trying to watch on multiple devices at once, my tv and only my tv in the basement buffers constantly. The funny (not really) thing is that my mom insists the internet is fine because she doesn't want the hassle and/or cost of changing ISPs. especially not after the whole starlink incident where we had had ordered the starlink equipment and it sat unused for weeks, before we were finally able to set it up, and when we did, we found out about the whole contract thing, and so we had to completely take it down and it was a huge hassle.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
We know wifi isn't reliable when it comes to things sensitive to latency. Can try an ethernet cable but make sure you're the only one using the internet so you can test it properly.

Regarding traceroute, wait for the other guys
Alright. I don’t know if I’ll be able to test it properly for a while, since asking the rest of my family to get off the internet is a lot to ask.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
You are somewhere in Omaha, NE and this is the tower map of Western Iowa Wireless (WISP provider)

https://broadbandnow.com/Western-Iowa-Wireless

JxhqiAx.png

Pretty much there is nothing you can do

Ralston18

Titan
The starting point is to understand your home's network configuration.

Again the configuration (topology) for most home networks is generically:

The requirement is to find and follow the wires. (Do so safely, no climbing on poles, roofs, etc..)

Identify the devices: make, model, version. What IP addresses are being used be the IP address dynamic or static.

Draw your own network diagram. Include all devices and connections. The diagram does not need to be a work of art. Just clear enough to show how your home network is set up.

It is possible that your service is DSL. If that is the case then the incoming wire from your ISP is likely to include a splitter (or filter as it is also known). The splitter takes the incoming ISP wire and divides the signal into two paths. One path for telephone service and one path to the modem (or modem router if combined). Splitters are very small - just a couple of inches. One wire in, two wires out. They are cheaply made - thus can and do become faulty.

= = = =

As for wondering about the first hops it appears that there could be two routers: i.e., the modem is actually a modem/router connected to a standalone router. That is okay provided that the modem/router's DHCP IP function is disabled. For the majority of home networks there should be only one router.

[Update: Dish: The dish may have a router.... and DSL/splitter is moot.] Likely a coax cable from dish to router.

E.g.:

https://community.tp-link.com/us/home/kb/detail/412532

And there can be splitters......

= = = =

One thing that you need to understand it the difference between public and private IP addresses.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-an... types of IP addresses,are assigned by an ISP.

= = = =

Being overtaken by events here.

I recommend that you work out the network topology so there is a common reference pointfor all to work from. Include device names and IP addresses (dynamic or static).

Is the dish using the tower or a satellite?

And show the network's google mesh router's.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
I can see a tower from my house, and the dish is pointed directly at it, I am probably only a few miles from a tower.
Unfortunately, line of sight still can't guarantee consistent speed and latency for wireless. Wireless signal is always affected by a lot of things 24/7, like wind, rain, burst of sun's radiation, leaves in the air, temp., flock of birds, or probably even low altitude flyby airplanes (I guess :rolleyes:) , etc.

And it seems WISP providers are using same 2.4G / 5G Hz channels as home routers.

Last edited:

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Likely a coax cable from dish to router.
I know that it is an ethernet cable from the dish to the router. I have seen and followed the cable from where the dish is to the router.
Being overtaken by events here.
I'm sorry about that. I kinda feel the same way. I don't know how to get IP addresses for every device in the house. I know we have 3 smart TVs, 3 alexa devices, 3 phones, one xbox, one amazon fire stick, a ring doorbell, and my PC .that is all the devices that are connected 100% of the time.
As for wondering about the first hops it appears that there could be two routers: i.e., the modem is actually a modem/router connected to a standalone router. That is okay provided that the modem/router's DHCP IP function is disabled. For the majority of home networks there should be only one router.
sorry if I wasn't more specific, and I could be misinterpreting what you're saying, but we had a mesh network with the main google router and a couple of other APs, those APs are no longer in use. I don't think that DHCP is disabled because I had an issue awile back with my smart tv that it wouldn't connect to the internet until I turned on DHCP in the TV settings. That tv is no longer in use, so I could probably disable it in the router, provided that I could actually access the settings, and doing so wouldn't disrupt the wifi for anyone else in the house (My parents will not be happy if I mess up their wifi)
Draw your own network diagram. Include all devices and connections. The diagram does not need to be a work of art. Just clear enough to show how your home network is set up.
Can you give me an example so I have something to base mine on?
I'm sure I'm misinterpreting parts of what you want me to do, so please try to bear with me as I have no experience with this.