[SOLVED] I have ping issues on Roblox ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
My ping on Roblox is usually around 50-100ms, which is completely usable, but I generally have spikes up to 600+ ms regularly, the only way I can currently fix it is by using a 5G hotspot, but that is a band-aid solution since I will eventually run out of hotspot data. I know there was another thread talking about this, but the suggestion was to just use ethernet. I do not have the option to use ethernet, and my router is in the same room as my PC so I'm not sure what the problem is. Sometimes, I will even get completely disconnected, and it is very frustrating.
specs:
ryzen 7 7700x
32GB DDR5
Asus b650 tuf wifi
rx 6800
seasonic focus GX 850W 80+ gold
samsung 980 pro 2TB

Before you get too far down you running ethernet cable project you need to be very sure it will fix it.

Either move the pc near the router just to test with a short cable or buy one long enough to just run over the floor.

If you internet connection uses a dish to get the signal it is far more likely that is your problem and not the wifi going across a room.

If a test with ethernet solves the issue you can consider other option to run a cable. Many time you can tack it to the base boards.

Running in the walls has to many variable. In some cases like where you have a unfinished basement or you can get to the top of the wall in the attic it is pretty easy. If you have concrete walls is will be massively difficult.

Reactions: Order 66

USAFRet

Titan
I won't be able to do that because my mom says that connecting my PC to ethernet will take up too much internet. Is this true?
False.

It will take no more than it does now, however you have it connected.

In fact, if most of the current systems in the house are WiFi connected to the router, taking yours OFF the WiFi gives the other systems a bit better response.

Reactions: boju and Order 66

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
False.

It will take no more than it does now, however you have it connected.

In fact, if most of the current systems in the house are WiFi connected to the router, taking yours OFF the WiFi gives the other systems a bit better response.
Thank you so much, now I just have to actually convince my mom which is the difficult part.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
I know there's no way to "prove it" to mom, but people of my generation/age literally built the internet.
We know how things work.
My parents are not tech savvy. They hardly know what the difference between RAM and storage is, let alone something (in my opinion) more advanced like networking. If my parents were tech savvy, and would've been willing to run ethernet through out the house, I wouldn't be having this problem. *sigh* although my mom said she wasn't going to do it right now, implying that she will do it later at some point. Also, I saw a ping of 12483 before I gave up and used my hotspot. It eventually went down to 343 ms on the home wifi, but it still was unplayable.

USAFRet

Titan
My parents are not tech savvy. They hardly know what the difference between RAM and storage is, let alone something (in my opinion) more advanced like networking. If my parents were tech savvy, and would've been willing to run ethernet through out the house, I wouldn't be having this problem. *sigh* although my mom said she wasn't going to do it right now, implying that she will do it later at some point. Also, I saw a ping of 12483 before I gave up and used my hotspot. It eventually went down to 343 ms on the home wifi, but it still was unplayable.
In my house, everything that can be wired to the router, is.

The only things WiFi are those which literally have no ethernet port.
Tablets, phones, the 3D printer....

PCs, cameras, NAS, TV, etc....all wired.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
In my house, everything that can be wired to the router, is.

The only things WiFi are those which literally have no ethernet port.
Tablets, phones, the 3D printer....

PCs, cameras, NAS, TV, etc....all wired.
How much does ethernet improve ping? I know it depends, but I just want to know in general, since I can't test it right now.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
It all depends on where that ping is happening.

If between you and the router, potentially a LOT.
If outside your home and router, none at all.

A temporary ethernet cable is cheap and easy to test.
Hopefully my mom will warm up to the idea. I know I have a temporary Ethernet cable with which to test, but my mom seems to have misplaced it the last time she used it. I have no idea where it is. I know that they’re not expensive, but I don’t want to get one until I know for sure that my mom will actually let me use it.

Ralston18

Titan
Yes.

If using wireless then any wired network adapter should be disabled. And vice versa.

Another thing to try is to disable IPv6 on the network adapters.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results with no need to retype everything.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Yes.

If using wireless then any wired network adapter should be disabled. And vice versa.

Another thing to try is to disable IPv6 on the network adapters.

Run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt. Post the results.

You should be able to copy and paste the results with no need to retype everything.
Run tracert to the server ip and post the result here.
I am not at home right now, but I will do these when I get home.

Ralston18

Titan
Good to be cautious.

Google "IPv6 problems"

Start here:

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/disable-ipv6-on-devices/

Then feel free to do additional searches based on your own phrasing and filtering.

= = = =

IPv6 has been problematic for many users.

Nor is IPv6 available to everyone either.

Disabling IPv6 (leaving IPv4 alone) is just a means to troubleshoot and eliminate a potential culprit.

= = = =

Take a look in Networking and specifically for postings regarding ping issues.

Very likely that you will find a number of posts wherein disabling IPv6 is recommended.

Also:

@bill001g has a number of posts regarding ping issues and how to diagnose problems by running continual pings to targeted IP addresses or websites.

Give that a try to help narrow down where the ping problem may be.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Good to be cautious.

Google "IPv6 problems"

Start here:

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/disable-ipv6-on-devices/

Then feel free to do additional searches based on your own phrasing and filtering.

= = = =

IPv6 has been problematic for many users.

Nor is IPv6 available to everyone either.

Disabling IPv6 (leaving IPv4 alone) is just a means to troubleshoot and eliminate a potential culprit.

= = = =

Take a look in Networking and specifically for postings regarding ping issues.

Very likely that you will find a number of posts wherein disabling IPv6 is recommended.

Also:

@bill001g has a number of posts regarding ping issues and how to diagnose problems by running continual pings to targeted IP addresses or websites.

Give that a try to help narrow down where the ping problem may be.
Ok, but my question is, how would IPv6 have anything to do with ping issues if all it is doing is assigning an IP address?

It is getting more and more likely the problem is going to be the wireless connection that is over the dish between your house and the ISP.

You said your wifi antenna sit on top of your pc. This means you have the very best form of wifi nic you can get. Being able to extend the antenna away from the back of your computer where lots of metal blocks things can greatly improve wifi. When you sit in the same room as the router and you have a nic like that it should have few issues. Wifi though is strange and can get interferenceI from may things. I would still try a temporary ethernet cable maybe you get lucky.

If it really is in the connection between your house and the ISP you have few options. The ISP would have to fix something, maybe the dish is slightly out of alignment