[SOLVED] I have ping issues on Roblox ?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
My ping on Roblox is usually around 50-100ms, which is completely usable, but I generally have spikes up to 600+ ms regularly, the only way I can currently fix it is by using a 5G hotspot, but that is a band-aid solution since I will eventually run out of hotspot data. I know there was another thread talking about this, but the suggestion was to just use ethernet. I do not have the option to use ethernet, and my router is in the same room as my PC so I'm not sure what the problem is. Sometimes, I will even get completely disconnected, and it is very frustrating.
specs:
ryzen 7 7700x
32GB DDR5
Asus b650 tuf wifi
rx 6800
seasonic focus GX 850W 80+ gold
samsung 980 pro 2TB

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Router mode means all of your device always have go through a phone-like system, every device is like a phone extension. It adds hops and latency.

Bridge is like you have a direct line. No Network Address Translation required.

Right now you have 5 layers of NAT
192.168.86.1 google mesh
92.168.10.1 isp dish/router
10.26.1.1 (WISP) CGNAT layer 1
10.10.155.1 (WISP) CGNAT layer 2
10.10.113.1 (WISP) CGNAT layer 3

there is nothing you can do about last 4

Well, I think you can choose either ISP dish router or Google mesh, put one of them into bridge mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Order 66
Lantis3 has pointed out part what is strange with your trace.

You have 2 devices acting as a router in your house...I suspect the dish things is actually a router.

The data lost especially near the end means nothing. The game company is block trace and ping with a firewall. Too many stupid kid that get offended in a video game and try to crash the server with lots of ping commands.

The problem is trace is it does not run long enough to see the latency spikes you are seeing. You would have to get very lucky for tracert to see it.

You pretty much must do your own tracecrt. Open a bunch of cmd windows and run constant ping commands. In your cases you would ping 192.168.86.1 This will test the WIFI connection. You can also ping 10.26.1.1 which should be the ISP router on the far end of the radio link.

You can ping other IP but the farther you are away from your house the harder it is to get it fixed. Also many routers limit how much ping/trace raffic they respond to. Again so it can use its cpu to actually pass traffic, so at times it will delay responding. You can't 100% trust ping /trace it is just something to give you a general idea what is broken

Ralston18

Titan
Network diagram:

https://www.lifewire.com/home-network-diagrams-4064053

https://www.edrawsoft.com/article/home-network-diagram.html

Or you can google "home network diagrams" yourself and find other examples.

[If adventureous and interested in such things you could download a free/trial app to do the drawing. Some apps do "discovery" meaning that they actively seek network devices and the corresponding details regarding any given device.]

You can use 2" x 2" sticky notes - one for each device with name, make, model, IP address and MAC. Include the dish - make and model?

Likely that the MAC is printed on some device labels. Use the sticky notes to layout the network on a larger sheet of paper. Then draw in or otherwise indicate the connectivity between devices.

And you do not have to get it right the first time. There will be revisions/do-overs as you learn.

The most important part is that the diagram helps you understand your family's network and communication devices using the network.

= = = =

You can use "arp -a" via the Command Prompt to discover device IP adddresses and MACs. The devices should have IP addresses 192.168.86.X Dynamic or static IP addresses.

Knowing the IP addresses is important. Why? Two devices should not have the same IP address. If not configured properly the router could be assigning a dynamic IP address that is in use by a device statically assigned with the same IP address.

With all of the devices and being in and out of the network I would not be surprised to discover an IP address conflict.

= = = =

As for coax cables (and cables in general) take a look at what is printed along the length of the cables.

Reason:

The cable from the dish may not be rated for outdoor/exterior use. The cable works but may be degraded.

For example: the cable may be Cat3....that probably would not be good.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Network diagram:

https://www.lifewire.com/home-network-diagrams-4064053

https://www.edrawsoft.com/article/home-network-diagram.html

Or you can google "home network diagrams" yourself and find other examples.

[If adventureous and interested in such things you could download a free/trial app to do the drawing. Some apps do "discovery" meaning that they actively seek network devices and the corresponding details regarding any given device.]

You can use 2" x 2" sticky notes - one for each device with name, make, model, IP address and MAC. Include the dish - make and model?

Likely that the MAC is printed on some device labels. Use the sticky notes to layout the network on a larger sheet of paper. Then draw in or otherwise indicate the connectivity between devices.

And you do not have to get it right the first time. There will be revisions/do-overs as you learn.

The most important part is that the diagram helps you understand your family's network and communication devices using the network.

= = = =

You can use "arp -a" via the Command Prompt to discover device IP adddresses and MACs. The devices should have IP addresses 192.168.86.X Dynamic or static IP addresses.

Knowing the IP addresses is important. Why? Two devices should not have the same IP address. If not configured properly the router could be assigning a dynamic IP address that is in use by a device statically assigned with the same IP address.

With all of the devices and being in and out of the network I would not be surprised to discover an IP address conflict.

= = = =

As for coax cables (and cables in general) take a look at what is printed along the length of the cables.

Reason:

The cable from the dish may not be rated for outdoor/exterior use. The cable works but may be degraded.

For example: the cable may be Cat3....that probably would not be good.
I’m extremely sorry and disappointed, but unless there is some way that I can fix this issue without using Ethernet, there is nothing I am allowed to do to fix it. My mom said I’m absolutely not allowed to do anything with the internet because she claims that she has never had any issues with it and since she pays for it, i couldn’t argue my point. Sorry for wasting everyone’s time. I feel awful.

USAFRet

Titan
I’m extremely sorry and disappointed, but unless there is some way that I can fix this issue without using Ethernet, there is nothing I am allowed to do to fix it. My mom said I’m absolutely not allowed to do anything with the internet because she claims that she has never had any issues with it and since she pays for it, i couldn’t argue my point. Sorry for wasting everyone’s time. I feel awful.
Not a waste of time.

Having gone through this, you'll know some options when you DO move out of the parents house.
Hint: Ethernet beats WiFi....

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
Not a waste of time.

Having gone through this, you'll know some options when you DO move out of the parents house.
Hint: Ethernet beats WiFi....
Yeah, you’re right, thanks. I’m still extremely frustrated though. The stupid 3 year contract with the isp doesn’t help. Is there anything I can do to fix this? I mean I know I have ipv6 enabled, but I don’t know if that will do anything.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
We've established that my ISP dish is acting as it's own router, is there any way I could connect to that, would it even do anything? My thought is that it would result in less hops, and thus less latency, but I have no idea.

USAFRet

Titan
We've established that my ISP dish is acting as it's own router, is there any way I could connect to that, would it even do anything? My thought is that it would result in less hops, and thus less latency, but I have no idea.
No.
The feed from that goes down to some box, right?
That is the 'router'.

The dish electronics is the 'modem'. If you were able to tap into that (you can't), that would feed a single device. Mom would be pissed off.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023
No.
The feed from that goes down to some box, right?
That is the 'router'.

The dish electronics is the 'modem'. If you were able to tap into that (you can't), that would feed a single device. Mom would be pissed off.
I've disabled the wired adapter and manually set the ipv4 address manually, using what I've discovered thus far. It seems to help the average a bit, but the spikes are still present.

Order 66

Grand Moff
Apr 13, 2023

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
Different websites all reports that IP is in Texas

https://www.iplocation.net/ip-lookup

IP database info is not always correct however.

Yet the IP address 62.115.172.29 in the tracert result you posted yesterday is reported in Sweden

That's really confusing.

Code:
6 20 ms 20 ms 19 ms te0-2-1-4.rcr51.oma01.atlas.cogentco.com [38.104.212.13]
7 35 ms 41 ms 31 ms be3097.ccr22.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.40.157]
8 44 ms 25 ms 29 ms arelion.mci01.atlas.cogentco.com [154.54.11.46]
9 * * * Request timed out.
10 28 ms * * dls-bb2-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.139.189]
11 49 ms 41 ms 43 ms dls-b24-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.139.131]
12 * * * Request timed out.
13 97 ms 100 ms 82 ms lax-b22-link.ip.twelve99.net [62.115.118.247]
14 * 61 ms * roblox-ic-342577.ip.twelve99-cust.net [62.115.172.29]
15 * * * Request timed out.