Nov 4, 2021
So a few weeks back, I built my first ever gaming pc on my own. It was very relatively easy and I enjoyed it very much. But when I turned the pc on, it had a bsod right as it was trying to boot. I don’t remember what the code was but the pc would bsod every here and there with a clock watchdog error or a machine check exception error(every 3-4 days)

specs:
Lian Li o11 dynamic razer edition

9 lian li unifans

Lian li Galahad 360mm aio

Crucial 1tb ssd with windows 10 pro(don’t know anything more about it other than it’s blue and gray)

Corsair RM850x psu

ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI motherboard

intel core i7-11700k cpu

4 8gb 3200 mhz Corsair vengeance rgb pro ram sticks (32gb total)

ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC EDITION

so as I said it would blue screen every here and there but it was usually just the clock watchdog timeout and i stopped getting the error for a while. I was playing vr chat and joined a world with 4K shaders and my gpus fans all went pretty high in rpm so I thought it was overheating and I downloaded gpu tweak to turn off the feature it has where the fans won’t spin till a certain temperature so it would stay cool. BIG MISTAKE! it had a blue screen almost 20 minutes after installing and it was the usual clock watchdog timeout when it rebooted, the pc froze on the welcome screen and gave me the machine check exception bsod. It then crashed 4 more times after that with the clock watchdog error and i decided not to mess with the pc anymore that day because I had began to cry because I didn’t know what to do. The next day I uninstalled gpu tweak and immediately got a bsod that had something to do with removing memory or something like that. Now every time I try to use it, it bsod’s. I removed 3 sticks of ram because I was getting irql not less or equal bsods and I thought that was the problem and while running 1 stick in the 4th dimm slot(only one I had tested so far) it ran fine until I tried to download GeForce experience because I had reset the pc to factory settings after before testing the ram because it was still blue screening. It crashed, had a machine check exception. I’m super stressed about this and I would appreciate any help and feel free to answer any misunderstandings of what I have typed so far. Please help me😢

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If you're able to, please get into BIOS and take note of the BIOS version for your motherboard. While here, see if you can remain in BIOS indefinitely. Following that, if you're able to get into OS GUI, check and see what OS version you're on. If you don't know what you're looking for, right click Start>System, the version for your OS should be located at the bottom of the new window,

Nov 4, 2021

If you're able to, please get into BIOS and take note of the BIOS version for your motherboard. While here, see if you can remain in BIOS indefinitely. Following that, if you're able to get into OS GUI, check and see what OS version you're on. If you don't know what you're looking for, right click Start>System, the version for your OS should be located at the bottom of the new window,
I’m on windows 10 pro

taylorjohnston54

Honorable
Apr 28, 2016
So a few weeks back, I built my first ever gaming pc on my own. It was very relatively easy and I enjoyed it very much. But when I turned the pc on, it had a bsod right as it was trying to boot. I don’t remember what the code was but the pc would bsod every here and there with a clock watchdog error or a machine check exception error(every 3-4 days)

specs:
Lian Li o11 dynamic razer edition

9 lian li unifans

Lian li Galahad 360mm aio

Crucial 1tb ssd with windows 10 pro(don’t know anything more about it other than it’s blue and gray)

Corsair RM850x psu

ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI motherboard

intel core i7-11700k cpu

4 8gb 3200 mhz Corsair vengeance rgb pro ram sticks (32gb total)

ROG STRIX GTX 1080 OC EDITION

so as I said it would blue screen every here and there but it was usually just the clock watchdog timeout and i stopped getting the error for a while. I was playing vr chat and joined a world with 4K shaders and my gpus fans all went pretty high in rpm so I thought it was overheating and I downloaded gpu tweak to turn off the feature it has where the fans won’t spin till a certain temperature so it would stay cool. BIG MISTAKE! it had a blue screen almost 20 minutes after installing and it was the usual clock watchdog timeout when it rebooted, the pc froze on the welcome screen and gave me the machine check exception bsod. It then crashed 4 more times after that with the clock watchdog error and i decided not to mess with the pc anymore that day because I had began to cry because I didn’t know what to do. The next day I uninstalled gpu tweak and immediately got a bsod that had something to do with removing memory or something like that. Now every time I try to use it, it bsod’s. I removed 3 sticks of ram because I was getting irql not less or equal bsods and I thought that was the problem and while running 1 stick in the 4th dimm slot(only one I had tested so far) it ran fine until I tried to download GeForce experience because I had reset the pc to factory settings after before testing the ram because it was still blue screening. It crashed, had a machine check exception. I’m super stressed about this and I would appreciate any help and feel free to answer any misunderstandings of what I have typed so far. Please help me😢
I have the same ram and nearly same build. i was having the same issue with my build when i enabled the xmp profile on the ram to 3200mhz, to fix the issue i turned down it from 3200 to 3000mhz and it fixed the issue. it may or may not work for you but its worth a shot!

Nov 4, 2021

I updated bios, reinstalled windows, disabled c-states, enabled xmp1, c-states disabled ran fine for 4 days, then started crashing, enabling xmp ram nice for a week and a half, then I got a crash, the next day I is when I updated bios to 1007, booted fine and then my primary monitor went red, secondary went gray and then the pc froze and restarted, then I played fortnite on it for around 3 hours and it hasn’t crashed so far. I did all this yesterday on Thursday December 9th 2021, tonight I’ll try to get it to crash and if it does I’ll keep you all posted

Nov 4, 2021
T
I have the same ram and nearly same build. i was having the same issue with my build when i enabled the xmp profile on the ram to 3200mhz, to fix the issue i turned down it from 3200 to 3000mhz and it fixed the issue. it may or may not work for you but its worth a shot!
Tried that, it worked for a week and a half and then 2 days ago I got the clock watchdog timeout again. Next day I updated bios and about 30 seconds after booting one of my monitores went red and the other went gray and then the pc restarted and didn’t have any problems for the rest of the day. Today I’ll try to push it to crash again and if it does I’ll keep you updated

Nov 4, 2021
Sounds like you used your old windows hard drive in your new build and expected it to work.
Very rarely happens without some problems.

Go here and create a windows install USB and install windows NEW.
Not a refresh, repair or reset. A full format and NEW install.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
So, if I did this, would I need to pay for a new windows 10 pro license? I don’t know my old key and I want to be 100 percent sure that I will be able to keep my windows 10 pro license. I don’t care about anything on the drive other than it so what ever I have to do to it, I’ll do as long as I can reinstall windows with the win 10 pro licensing without having to pay for it again

Create a microsoft account (If you do not already have one.)and link the computer/key to your account.
Once you install fresh just sign in to your microsoft account with the computer then activate windows.
If you do not wish to use a microsoft account. After activation create an offline user account and sign into it.

Nov 4, 2021
So I figured it out about 7 days before Christmas. My motherboard has something called asus turbo mode and intel turbo boost adaptive technology. This is basically a feature that will increase the clock speed of your cpu when running more demanding games and applications. I think my motherboard has a cpu power fault. Basically what was happening is I would run a game or even turn on my pc and all the apps starting up at the same time would be cpu heavy, causing my cpu clock speed to increase. The clock speed would increase until it got to a multiplier that needed a higher amount of power. Normally the motherboard would handle this and increase the amount of voltage going to the cpu but in my case it wasn’t doing that. So when the cpu reaches that multiplier and locks up due to insufficient power, the pc would blue screen and restart. All I did to fix it was disable ASUS TURBO MODE and INTEL TURBO BOOST ADAPTIVE TECHNOLOGY.

Reactions: XPS8950HD