Question I need some help understanding how to update my BIOS

Nov 30, 2022
I'm running a Linux Distro (Pop OS 22.04) and I'm currently using an Asrock AB350 Pro4 Motherboard (on BIOS version P3.0) with a Ryzen 5 1600 CPU.

I'm about to install a Ryzen 5 3600 CPU and an RX 6600 GPU.

The website wants me to download this "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.50.16.01_WHQL", which when extracted reveals a .exe file (which I can't run, being a Linux user).

Is all of this absolutely necessary, or can I just download the latest BIOS version, flash it, and then install my new hardware?

[Mod Edit - Removed the direct download link]

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. BUT, you must first update to version 3.4, then version 7.0 and then you can update to version 7.4.

And while I am 99.99999% sure that as a Linux user you don't have to worry about installing the AMD AIO driver, it might not be the worst idea to reach out to ASRock tech support before going forward, JUUUUUUUST to be safe. I don't see how it could be required, or even possible to install, except for Windows users, that a Windows driver would be mandatory, but since manufacturers usually only post information that relates to officially supported operating systems, of which Linux is not, they don't put that information out there so you'll have to kind of wing it a bit from time to time. But they should be able to just confirm that no you don't need to do that if using Linux. If you ever change to Windows, you may need to install it.

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
Nov 30, 2022
Ok, so instead of trying to wrangle tech support, I think I'll just reinstall Windows, get the AIO driver just to be safe, get the BIOS all nice and updated, and then install the new hardware, shut down and reinstall Linux. Hopefully this won't turn into disaster lmao

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech
That couldn't hurt if you don't mind doing it. Sometimes it's better to take a little more time and a few extra steps because it ends up being less time consuming in the long run than trying to shortcut and then having to figure out how to fix it when it all goes sideways. LOL.

In which case, I'd just do the bare bones install, then immediately install the latest AMD AIO driver, then update the BIOS, and then poof, go straight to your Linux installation.