I need some help with an Aureal card

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Got a duron and mobo today and I find out Aureal cards are screwy with them. Its a duron 800 with a Asus A7V if anyone has a clue how to make it work without problems please fill me in. Any help is appreciated thanks.

breed33

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
On the vortex of sound forum I saw little help for anyone using the Vortex2 card with Intel i815E AND WIN2K. There are lots of complaints and some help for AMD users as well as help for users with 815E and 9X/ME OS, but not a lot for us i815E/Win2K users.

Perhaps I missed some posts, but I didn't see anything.

doczenith1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Same problem here...t-bird on a Soyo K7VTA-B. I'm using the onboard AC97 chip right now but would love to get my MX300 back in action. It seemed be a bit more stable when running in apm mode with seperate irq's but would still lose sound eventually. I had given up on it until reading this thread. I'll do some digging and see if we can't find a solution!

Doc

doczenith1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This is a answer to your message in the thread you started, but I thought it would be better posted here. My mx300 worked fine under win2k in a BX chipset machine. Upon placing it in a KT133 machine it would work for about two minutes then i would lose sound and my system would run slow. It would also cause win2k to not shut down either. It sounds like the vortex2 chipset doesn't like the new mb chipsets.

Doc

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's not a hardware issue, it's a software issue, and since they are out of business there will be no more driver updates. Creative designed this, they sued Aureal into oblivian, bought the intelectual property (driver code), and does not plan on releasing any new drivers, nor giving access to an outside source to the source code. By eliminating the drivers, they can stop people from using the card, which they hope will force those peole to buy an alternative card-from them, the SB Live. I refuse to put any moeny into that company because of dirty tricks, lots of companies make sound cards.

Suicide is painless...........

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey Crashman we agree on something Creative sucks! btw I have a aureal sound card working on my I815e I will do some digging there is a special set of drivers to get this card to work.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Here are the instructions.
Download the newest Vortex2 drivers into a file on your hard drive, you can name the file Vortex2. These can be found at http://www.vortexofsound.com/drivers/drivers.htm Vortex 2 (AU8830 reference) Windows 95/98 (ME uses the 9x kernel as well).
Unzip the file you downloaded into the new folder you created.
Locate and open the file called au30mmed.inf in that folder. Remove the semi-colon in front of the "HKR,Config,DisableBusDetection,1,1" line in the [AspenOverides.Addreg] section:. The correction should then look like this:
[AspenOverides.Addreg]
; virtual devices
;HKR,Config,DisableJoystick,1,1
;HKR,Config,DisableMPU401,1,1
HKR,Config,DisableDOSModemPort,1,1
HKR,Config,DisableSBFM,1,1
HKR,Config,DisableRealModeLegacySBFM,1,1
HKR,Config,DisableRealModeLegacySBFMUsingREM,1,1
HKR,Config,DisableSBFMIRQLevel,1,1
HKR,Config,DisableSBFMIRQSharing,1,1
HKR,Config,DisableBusDetection,1,1 <--------------------That is the line to edit!!!! NO Semi-colon!!
; a3d
;HKR,Config,EnableA3DReserve,1,1
;HKR,Config,NumHost3DBuffers,1,6
HKR,Config,Reserve2DSRC,1,8
close out and when prompted to save the changes say yes and you are all done.
Remove the card from device manager. Restart your computer and get into Bios. In Bios set the “PNP OS” option to “NO” so that the card is configured before Windows starts. Also in bios, get to PCI EXCLUSIONS and exclude IRQ 5 from the resource table. Save your bios settings and exit setup.
When windows starts it will detect the card and ask fro the driver disk. Direct it to the new file you have just created. DO NOT insert your original driver disk! If promted to insert the Windows CD, do so.
Your card is now set up, but the IRQ for Soundblaster emulation may be shared with something it shouldn’t be, usually your parallel port. Go into your C drive through My Computer, right click on the Autoexec.bat file, scroll down and click on EDIT.
The line should read “SET BLASTER = A240 I5 D1 T4”. The I5 is the IRQ for Soundblaster emulation. Since you have IRQ5 reserved in bios, it is not being used for any other devices. This line in Autoexec enables SB emulation, so make sure it is set to 5 as above. If you had to change it, save the changes and reboot to get this setting.

http://frontpage.home.net/dherman2000/mx300.htm

Suicide is painless...........

TRENDING THREADS