G

I found this example from another web site. It is about how good programmers can tell people to fix problems which to me just seems unbelieveable. I will let u read it:

One of my favorite Real Programmers was a systems programmer for Texas Instruments. One day he got a long distance call from a user whose system had crashed in the middle of saving some important work. Jim was able to repair the damage over the phone, getting the user to toggle in disk I/O instructions at the front panel, repairing system tables in hex, reading register contents back over the phone. The moral of this story: while a Real Programmer usually includes a keypunch and lineprinter in his toolkit, he can get along with just a front panel and a telephone in emergencies.

Do any of you know what he is going on about and how to do it?

G

well it sounds like someone told someone else over the phone to use a front panel (rudamentary hardware device) to have a hard disk send back data in hexadecimal so some of the data could be regained (probably didn't get all of it back..but it's better than losing everything that was being worked on). You probably have to be handy with hexadecimal among other things. I'm certainly not. You undoubtedly can't learn it through reading a couple of website articles, and it likely takes years of study and application.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

TRENDING THREADS