Question I recently bought an AMD RX 6600 GPU and installed it properly. After this, my PC suffers the moment the GPU goes 100%. Any solution on how to fix?

xAlfafllfflx

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
As the title suggests, I have recently upgraded to an RX 6600 GPU from a GTX 1050Ti 4GB. The moment I did however, I have recently gotten situations where, in the Task Manager whenever my GPU reaches 100%, it will decide to suddenly make my PC slow into a crawl. Any solutions on how to at least alleviate this is appreciated as this is happening since Day 1 I installed my GPU.

What I've recently done?
  • Increase the Power Limit of the GPU using Adrenalin. Unreliable due to my settings resetting every time I open my Computer (if there is a way to fix this it would be much appreciated if anyone would share as well)
  • Checked to see if this is just loose NVIDIA drivers messing with me. No change
Considered but Haven't Tried:
  • Tinkering with Adrenalin again with its GPU Tuning (unsure if this will actually fix the solution)
  • Considered if this was a CPU + Memory issue (unsure if this were actually the case)

As the title suggests, I have recently upgraded to an RX 6600 GPU from a GTX 1050Ti 4GB. The moment I did however, I have recently gotten situations where, in the Task Manager whenever my GPU reaches 100%, it will decide to suddenly make my PC slow into a crawl. Any solutions on how to at least alleviate this is appreciated as this is happening since Day 1 I installed my GPU.

What I've recently done?
  • Increase the Power Limit of the GPU using Adrenalin. Unreliable due to my settings resetting every time I open my Computer (if there is a way to fix this it would be much appreciated if anyone would share as well)
  • Checked to see if this is just loose NVIDIA drivers messing with me. No change
Considered but Haven't Tried:
  • Tinkering with Adrenalin again with its GPU Tuning (unsure if this will actually fix the solution)
  • Considered if this was a CPU + Memory issue (unsure if this were actually the case)
Did you completely uninstall Nvidia drivers using DDU program ?
Did you install latest AMD GPU drivers from AMD site ? Some older drivers had exactly same problem you are having.
If your system has an IGPU, try disabling it, windows scheduling may try to use it for some tasks.

Reactions: Kona45primo

xAlfafllfflx

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
Did you completely uninstall Nvidia drivers using DDU program ?
Did you install latest AMD GPU drivers from AMD site ? Some older drivers had exactly same problem you are having.
If your system has an IGPU, try disabling it, windows scheduling may try to use it for some tasks.
Yes I did use a DDU.
Yes I installed the latest (23.12.1) driver
My CPU does not have an iGPU (I forgot to place my parts I apologize)

PARTS:
GPU: AMD RX 6600 8GB
CPU: RYZEN 5 3600
RAM: 2x8GB 2666MHz

What's putting load on the system when this happens?

Usually the GPU going to maximum isn't going to do much of anything as far as system performance is concerned. It's the CPU which usually hurts responsiveness when overloaded.

It would be worth looking at GPU-Z to make sure everything is showing up as it should, and you can check the sensors for utilization/power consumption when this is happening as well.

Reactions: xAlfafllfflx

Usually the GPU going to maximum isn't going to do much of anything as far as system performance is concerned. It's the CPU which usually hurts responsiveness when overloaded.
The GPU going to maximum makes the CPU work harder, if the earlier GPU was underpowered for the CPU and this one is overpowered it could be the cause, the 3600 isn't a super high-end CPU, it could be maxing out.

Some screenshots with afterburner in a game showing CPU and GPU usage could maybe help.

xAlfafllfflx

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022

It would be worth looking at GPU-Z to make sure everything is showing up as it should, and you can check the sensors for utilization/power consumption when this is happening as well.
I mainly play and develop videogames, so whenever I open a game (something like Risk of Rain 2 for example), my computer goes to a complete crawl during this. Now today, it straight up flashed black for a moment before returning.
What's the brand and model of the PSU and motherboard?
What BIOS version is the motherboard running?

2666MT/s RAM is pretty slow for Ryzen. What's the brand and model of the RAM and is XMP/DOCP enabled?
Corsair CV550W for the PSU;
MSI B450M VDH-MAX for the Motherboard.
RAM is HyperX Fury
The GPU going to maximum makes the CPU work harder, if the earlier GPU was underpowered for the CPU and this one is overpowered it could be the cause, the 3600 isn't a super high-end CPU, it could be maxing out.

Some screenshots with afterburner in a game showing CPU and GPU usage could maybe help.
I'll provide a screenshot using HWINFO if that's more something up your alley, if you don't mind. Additionally, I reduced my CPU's voltage as back then it used to idle around 70C and would go 90C even just using browsers if that means something to help with the solution.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are you monitoring temperatures?

I may have missed what case you have this installed to. You can run a synthetic benchmark such as FurMark while watching HW Info or even Ryzen Master and see what temps are doing inside the case. Look for thermal throttling when the temps run up.

xAlfafllfflx

Prominent
Nov 24, 2022
Are you monitoring temperatures?

I may have missed what case you have this installed to. You can run a synthetic benchmark such as FurMark while watching HW Info or even Ryzen Master and see what temps are doing inside the case. Look for thermal throttling when the temps run up.
My temperatures in both Adrenalin and HWINFO were around 50 to 60C whenever gaming.

DISCLAIMER:
Due to the weather, my temperatures either sink to 38C with three browsers or 50C with just one browser open as the typical temperature in South East Asia is ~35 to 38C HUMID