Question i recently upgraded to wifi 6, some devices won't connect to the internet now

Jun 22, 2024
Hello all, before i made this upgrade everything was working fine. After upgrading to wifi 6, replacing my router and the extender, and setting my new network, some devices (mainly andorid phones) won't connect to the internet.

Connected devices:
  • Macbook air laptop.
  • HP laptop windows.
  • multiple android phones.
  • smart tv .
  • ps 4/5.
Not connected: 2 android phones.

what happens is the phones see the network and when i try to connect it fails with an error message "couldn't connect to network", a couple of times it threw an incorrect password even tho im 100% sure the password is coreect.

I have tried everything, reboot/factory reset the router, turning off/on the wifi/airplane mode/the os of the two phones, changing the channel of the network from auto to 6, renaming the network/changing the password, talked with my internet providers (no help whatsoever)...
If i remove the password and make the network open the devices connect without an issue

Any help, tip, suggestion is HUGELY appreciated, thank you guys.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

i made this upgrade
+
After upgrading to wifi 6, replacing my router and the extender
You forgot to mention all the hardware you used to have and what you switched to, as in their make and models. Please include them.

Does it do it both on the 2.4 and 5g radios. Make sure the names are different so you can force it to connect where you want.

Wifi6 tends to be a waste of money. Most end devices do not support the key feature (160mhz radio bands) that makes wifi6 faster. They should though connect at 80mhz which is the same as wifi5 (802.11ac).

Maybe try to set the radio channel manually on the 5g radio. If the router is trying to use the restricted channels and the end device does not support it might not connect. Maybe try to set it so something like say 42 or maybe 155.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello all, before i made this upgrade everything was working fine. After upgrading to wifi 6, replacing my router and the extender, and setting my new network, some devices (mainly andorid phones) won't connect to the internet.

Connected devices:
  • Macbook air laptop.
  • HP laptop windows.
  • multiple android phones.
  • smart tv .
  • ps 4/5.
Not connected: 2 android phones.

what happens is the phones see the network and when i try to connect it fails with an error message "couldn't connect to network", a couple of times it threw an incorrect password even tho im 100% sure the password is coreect.

I have tried everything, reboot/factory reset the router, turning off/on the wifi/airplane mode/the os of the two phones, changing the channel of the network from auto to 6, renaming the network/changing the password, talked with my internet providers (no help whatsoever)...
If i remove the password and make the network open the devices connect without an issue

Any help, tip, suggestion is HUGELY appreciated, thank you guys.
One possible reason is protected management frames (PMF). Some devices do not like WIFI with PMF enabled. Your new router might enable PMF by default. Check that option. Or your router might have picked a WPA2/WPA3 option for encryption. That will enable PMF. There is no enhanced security with WPA2/WPA3 because the less secure WPA2 is still honored. Either ALL WPA3 which may cause connection problems, or straight WPA2 without PMF for most compatibility.

TRENDING THREADS