[SOLVED] I upgraded my nvidia 750ti to an AMD RX 570 and I have FPS issues.

Jan 23, 2020
Just I said on the subject, I made this upgrade which is considered pretty big in terms of GPU quality and I expected to notice a huge difference. The opposite happened. My FPS in games is about the same maybe 10-20 higher average FPS with the new card, but I have FPS drops in games that I didn't have even with the old GPU. For example I play fortnite in low settings and I should have good FPS without drops because I meet the requirments, but I have heavy drops, sometimes bellow 40(for split seconds) making the game unplayable.

My CPU is AMD FX 6300, I have a FORCE 650W SL-X650EPS PSU, 8gb RAM

(I have tried uninstalling the drivers with DDU while in safe mode and download and install the drivers for my card from the AMD website, didn't work. I haven't tried installing older drivers though if anyone thinks that it may work)

Last edited:
Solution
You have some things going against you here. Your CPU is old/weak. Your PSU is potentially low quality. It might not be a bad idea, if you cannot afford to upgrade the rest of your system, to backup everything you want to keep, and do a fresh install of windows. Also check your CPU temps.

Assuming your PSU is good enough, quality wise, this would be a solid upgrade, over what you currently have, for not a lot of money.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: Ryzen 5 1600 AF ($85.00)
Total: $229.97
Prices include shipping, taxes, and...
Jan 23, 2020
I believe you mean PSU. It does matter though, so open your case and take a look.
Your whole PC is old and will certainly bottleneck the performance. CPU weak, RAM just enough but certainly not fast, old mobo, unknown PSU that if it's a crappy unit will hinder performance on it's own.

Yes you were right, I meant PSU. Still, I didn't have FPS drops with my old GPU while playing fortnite, how can I have these drops with a much better graphics card?

logainofhades

Titan
You have some things going against you here. Your CPU is old/weak. Your PSU is potentially low quality. It might not be a bad idea, if you cannot afford to upgrade the rest of your system, to backup everything you want to keep, and do a fresh install of windows. Also check your CPU temps.

Assuming your PSU is good enough, quality wise, this would be a solid upgrade, over what you currently have, for not a lot of money.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-23 09:23 EST-0500

Reactions: gmario23
Solution

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

I agree with this. If you can't afford major upgrades, at least try a different PSU. The RX 570 needs 450W, and that's without considering other components. Likely the card can't get enough power from the power supply and is struggling to operate correctly. Hope this helps :)

Reactions: gmario23
Jan 23, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

I fount the PSU that I have and updated it on the post, thanks for your suggestions but I'm looking to go through this years without making any updates and try to get the best that I have from this set-up, may I ask is it normal to have drops now, when I didn't have with the old GPU? That's what I don't understand. I knew that it wouldn't be a dramatic improvement because the rest of my set-up is kinda bad, but I sure as hell didn't expect to get a worse performance with much much better GPU.

Jan 23, 2020
I agree with this. If you can't afford major upgrades, at least try a different PSU. The RX 570 needs 450W, and that's without considering other components. Likely the card can't get enough power from the power supply and is struggling to operate correctly. Hope this helps :)

Is it possible that the FPS drops are accounted to the PSU? Because that's the thing bothering me the most. I don't care that I have slightly better FPS than before, but I do care for the constant FPS drops that I didn't have.

SparkyTech934

Reputable
Jan 22, 2020
It's possible. It all depends on how much power the new GPU is trying to draw in different games. If the GPU can't get enough power from the PSU when its running under heavy load, then it won't perform as advertised. The other thought is that the new card is overheating. Have you been watching the temps of the GPU when gaming? It may be thermal throttling, but thats just a guess.. Hope this helps :)

Jan 23, 2020
It's possible. It all depends on how much power the new GPU is trying to draw in different games. If the GPU can't get enough power from the PSU when its running under heavy load, then it won't perform as advertised. The other thought is that the new card is overheating. Have you been watching the temps of the GPU when gaming? It may be thermal throttling, but thats just a guess.. Hope this helps :)
I haven't checked if it's overheating, I will. Thank you.